Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 AM

28 posts, read 51,691 times

Advertisements

We are a family considering a move from semi-rural New England to the Jupiter area. My husband works for Pratt, so we'd like to be within about a 30 minute drive.

The most important factors for us are good schools and safety. However, we are also a 1/2 latino family and would love to be closer to other hispanic/mixed families. One of the things we really dislike about CT is that the small towns are so segregated. Our town, though we love it, is about 97% caucasian. We have no friends here who are latino and miss the presence of hispanic culture we were surrounded with in AZ.

I've read a lot about Jupiter and Wellington and they sound like we'd love them. A friend here in my state used to live in Jupiter and loved it.

So, am I dreaming? Is there a safe, good-schools area where we could find other hispanic families?

We are looking in the under 300K range-preferable closer to 250K. We both are professionals and could afford more, but we like to live simply, on as close to one income as we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
I am not as familiar with PB county, but in Broward Latinos are in every neighborhood, in every price/income range. If you don't have to live in PB County you can find that easily in Broward county. I suspect there are plenty of latinos in PB County as well, I just don't know for sure.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am not as familiar with PB county, but in Broward Latinos are in every neighborhood, in every price/income range. If you don't have to live in PB County you can find that easily in Broward county. I suspect there are plenty of latinos in PB County as well, I just don't know for sure.
Thanks very much for your reply. We need to be further north, however. Just because of driving distances, I think we need to be in Martin County, or in North Palm Beach county. Latinos in every neighborhood, at every socio-economic level is how I grew up. I miss that here in rural CT.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
I know of no "latin neighborhoods" in palm beach....especially not in Jupiter. Let me know if you do find any though...would love to know !

Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,137 times
There are no latin areas that I know of. But in The Acreage and Loxahatchee there are lots of different families of mixed heritage. In fact the family that bought our house there were from Miami and were partially hispanic. Also, the school are all top-notch "A" schools and the house prices have dropped dramatically. The Acreage consists of 33412 and 33470.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 PM

12 posts, read 42,423 times
I don't have much advice, but I loved your post because we are in a similar boat. We are moving from Connecticut to Wellington (I visit this forum often to try to learn more about the area), half of my heritage is Spanish/Cuban, and I grew up in New Mexico. I'd be very interested to hear what you discover in your research into the area.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
There are definitely Latin neighborhoods in Palm Beach County. Lantana, Lake Worth, West Palm Beach, Palm Springs, Greenacres, etc.

Schools in these areas can be around 80% Hispanic.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Ummm... what "kind" of Latino are we talking about? White Latino? Indigenous latino? Blatino?

There are lots of "Latino" neighborhoods in the central part of the city, but we're talking migrant indigenous Guatemalans and Mexicans primarily.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I know of no "latin neighborhoods" in palm beach....especially not in Jupiter. Let me know if you do find any though...would love to know !
I'm not looking for primarily latino neighborhoods, per se...just an area where hispanics make up more than 2-3% of the populations.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
There are no latin areas that I know of. But in The Acreage and Loxahatchee there are lots of different families of mixed heritage. In fact the family that bought our house there were from Miami and were partially hispanic. Also, the school are all top-notch "A" schools and the house prices have dropped dramatically. The Acreage consists of 33412 and 33470.
What town is the Acreage in? That area and Loxahatchee both have good schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach