Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:34 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times

Advertisements

Their beach. It is an A+++++.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 04:36 PM

34 posts, read 82,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Lived in Boca Raton (the city, not the western part) for 17 years.............

Worst part, the NY/NJ refugees who think Bocur is da best, yet they live on 441
Haha, got it Is West Boca really that bad? We've never checked it, only explored Central & East Boca so far.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Their beach. It is an A+++++.
Absolutely agree! We loved their beach and the fact that there are no hotels or condos.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Lived in Boca for years: most dislike the Boca-hontuses.
Rude, fake (inside and out).
I see... I know So Cal has them too. No Cal - not so much.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I moved here from the NY area and like it. I'm not what you would call a "Boca person" (there are other ways to put that), I live paycheck to paycheck, but I find it pretty peaceful and quiet. Beaches are really nice, shopping is really good, but I have a pretty simple and uncomplicated life. I don't own property, no kids. I like the walking here. There are things I hate about FL in general--lack of public transportation, crowded roads, rude drivers, Comcast (the worst part of living in FL), overbuilding and lack of caring about the environment. But I live in my little world, stay mostly in Boca and Delray, go to work, the gym, take care of my animals and parents and it's really ok. I know there are snobs here but I guess I don't see much of them in my circle. I like the weather here when I get up early to walk my dog and don't need to put on boots and a jacket. Don't know if this helps.
Thanks a lot. Awesome points! What's up with Comcast?

Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 AM

38 posts, read 54,135 times
Moved to Boca about a year ago...so far, I love it. Lots to do, shopping, restaurants, beaches etc...My only dislike I would have to say is, I really haven't made 1 good friend here. I'm used to people being friendly...lol I have a 5 year old, a husband and in real estate so I'm pretty busy. My advice would be...Come to Boca, it's safe and really not that bad. :-)

Old 03-25-2016, 11:26 AM

154 posts, read 388,839 times
Areas of Boca are great I like Old Boca A-1a area , out west typical Florida, as said great beaches, places to eat and shop, yes you will find lots of NY East coasters living the dream so get used to it they scattered home after the crash in 07-08, but now are flocking down in droves again as I say when eating out (Green Gold ) you can tell in a hurry, some times rude ect but guess what there all over Paradise I mean Florida! Boca got lots to offer and as said the water inter costal a boaters paradise year round and the ocean too, property in all price ranges too! good luck,

Old 03-25-2016, 01:24 PM

782 posts, read 760,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoninka View Post
Hi All,
We are getting ready to say Good Bye to California (Sacramento area) and move to Florida next year. We are really considering Boca as our final destination. We are a young and active couple with 2 little kids. Finding a job & buying an average house in Central or East Boca would not be a problem for us. Humid is no big deal for us as we are used to extreme summers here too and mainly spend May through September indoors with a/c due to super high temperature. Our main priorities are great schools, safe neighborhood, close to the beach. I've been researching about Boca for over 1 year now and of course we visited it twice. The reviews are very mixed and people either hate it or love it, like there is no in between. I want specifically hear from people who live or used to live in Boca: What do you like or dislike about this little city? All the negative comments that I've read so far such as bad drivers, old folks, traffic, higher prices, snobs... Well CA is full of this too so it won't be too shocking for us. Please share your thoughts. Do you know folks who also moved from Sac to Boca? What are they saying about it? Thanks all for your time
I left SoFla, West Palm Beach area and moved to the San Diego Area. I last worked in Boca Raton and I hated the commute to and from Boca. I would have moved to the Boca area if I felt my job was worth it, but it would have meant my wife would have had to go north as she worked closer to home. So I just dealt with it, but as the years went by the commute got harder each year as more people kept moving in. The population is booming and I read the other day on the local news there that the metro area surpassed 6 million people and will keep growing.

I never had any issues with the weather in SoFla, some people do. We actually miss the warm water and sea breeze along with a lot of things that are Florida but not the people or driving. Boca is more expensive but so was where we lived, you will see areas that are more expensive but have lower priced sections, Boca is just like that. If you are planning to buy it is true you can get a house for less than here in the San Diego area, but the kicker is taxes and insurance costs. Rentals all over SoFla are up and while they are high here in some areas you can often get a nice rental home for around the same price as SoFla depending on where it is located.

So yes, bad drivers, senior citizens , traffic and snobs yes that is much of what you will find but not everyone. Since moving to CA I have noticed people to be nicer, more laid back and much better drivers. I have not had any real issues driving yet, people are more patient here overall, but that changes depending on where you drive to of course, no matter where I was in the area I never felt this. You will also see a lot of wealth in Boca, it is just the way it is. SoFla in general is and was always a playground for the rich and wealthy, while there is money here, people are more live and let live and don't stare at you or size you up based on the car you drive. That may be different in the OC or other parts of CA but I never been to Sacramento so I have no idea what people are like?

If you are not use to the New York way of life or interaction, then I can say be prepared for a shock. SoFla is very New York influenced and populated, when I say New York I mean one of the boroughs and Long Island included. Most everyone we knew was from NY originally most of our neighbors were from Long Island or someplace else, often another country. We do miss the Delis, Bagels, NY Style Pizza and things they brought in. Not all bad.

We did not want to leave SoFla as bad as it was, we just dealt with the negatives, but my career brought me to CA and I don't know if we will ever go back, highly doubt it as the wages are just not keeping up with the high cost of living. Also would advise you to check with your auto insurance provider, SoFla is noted for very expensive auto insurance rates, when I moved to CA my auto insurance rates dropped substantially, more so than I expected and it offset much of the added expenses of living here, like the annual registration fees and gas prices and since I do not commute more than 5 miles to work I'm not even spending that much on Gas as I did in SoFla.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
I wouldn't live in Boca for free. Due to all things mentioned already but mainly....the people! No thank you. And central FL is becoming the same way now too. Isn't it wonderful?

Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times
To answer the question about Comcast, they have really awful (stupid) customer service and they are expensive, IMO. Look at some of the reviews of Comcast on Yelp. I have found their service to be ok. I just can't call them, even for an upgrade--it's really painful. They don't know what channels they offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach