Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:27 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times

Advertisements

When I looked at it the cost to ride was expensive and I'd still need transportation when I got to my destination.

What exactly is this supposed to do again? This isn't the NY subway or the boston T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 07:06 PM

63 posts, read 91,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
When I looked at it the cost to ride was expensive and I'd still need transportation when I got to my destination.

What exactly is this supposed to do again? This isn't the NY subway or the boston T.
To ease congestion on 95.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:57 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,626 times
If it isn't cost effective, no one will take the train. ie. Amtrak: it's too expensive and is incredibly slow.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
If it isn't cost effective, no one will take the train. ie. Amtrak: it's too expensive and is incredibly slow.
I think it makes sense for tourists and business travelers. I'm sure they will find ways to make it cost efficient, specials, etc.

The other week it took me TWO hours to get from West Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale. That cost my client money, and they still had to pay me my 0.55/mile reimbursement for mileage.

It would have been far more efficient to take the train to downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and then take the trolley/street car (yes there is one) to my destination, or a short uber ride to where I needed to be.

Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm and Miami are expanding their public transport options. There's even talk - FINALLY - of connecting Miami Beach with the mainland via a light rail. That would be amazing for tourists. Hell, I'd use it for a leisure trip to Miami just to avoid having to drive in Miami-Dade county!

I figure, if it doesn't work out, oh well. But people need to stop thinking they know better than the business analysts and company itself investing a billion dollars into the project. If they fail, oh well, they fail. At least we get upgraded rail infrastructure (which is still going to be used for freight from now until eternity) and quiet zones!

Old 02-09-2016, 02:22 PM

Going to be hard to cross AIA from stores/shopping and whatnot with increased trains passing through. So do they estimate X number of trains per day? (not late evening, 2 am) back/forth - because that's a lottttttt of waiting for that TRAIN in Palm Beach gardens.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Going to be hard to cross AIA from stores/shopping and whatnot with increased trains passing through. So do they estimate X number of trains per day? (not late evening, 2 am) back/forth - because that's a lottttttt of waiting for that TRAIN in Palm Beach gardens.

Well, if we consider that the average passenger train causes about 90 seconds of delay (as compared to a freight train which can take many minutes), that's actually less than a traffic light.

They run tri-rail much, much more frequently across some busy intersections in WPB and points south. It can be a hassle to catch a train, but I'm stymied more often by traffic signals. If they can figure out how to coordinate lights and train signalization it would work out well.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:40 PM

499 posts, read 586,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think it makes sense for tourists and business travelers. I'm sure they will find ways to make it cost efficient, specials, etc.

The other week it took me TWO hours to get from West Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale. That cost my client money, and they still had to pay me my 0.55/mile reimbursement for mileage.

It would have been far more efficient to take the train to downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and then take the trolley/street car (yes there is one) to my destination, or a short uber ride to where I needed to be.

Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm and Miami are expanding their public transport options. There's even talk - FINALLY - of connecting Miami Beach with the mainland via a light rail. That would be amazing for tourists. Hell, I'd use it for a leisure trip to Miami just to avoid having to drive in Miami-Dade county!

I figure, if it doesn't work out, oh well. But people need to stop thinking they know better than the business analysts and company itself investing a billion dollars into the project. If they fail, oh well, they fail. At least we get upgraded rail infrastructure (which is still going to be used for freight from now until eternity) and quiet zones!
Holy cow! 2 hours to get from West Palm Beach to Ft Lauderdale - uggh! I agree with you, I would take a train into Miami for a leisure trip vs driving. When I lived in CT, everyone took the train into NYC rather than drive. Traffic was crazy - what was easily a 2 hour drive was only 45 mins on the train, plus you could drink in the bar car, nap, read, work or just relax on the ride.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:07 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Forgive me, but what is the difference between this train and Tri-Rail? Just faster with fewer stops? Unless you live and work right off of one of the 3 stations, you will still need additional transportation at both ends. This is the problem with Tri-Rail. The new train will be just as useless for commuting until they build additional east-west lines that connect with business districts and neighborhoods. This will do nothing to alleviate 95 congestion.

This train is more useful as a long distance commuter to Orlando. But how often to people go to Orlando? Once a year at most? Then what do you do when you get off of the train? Walk 30 miles to Disney? Will they have car rental centers next to the station? Driving isn't that expensive or time consuming. I really don't see the great benefit here.

I am all for expanding the train system in South FL, but they really need to focus on the commuting aspect by building east-west, not a 1-line train like we already have in Tri-Rail.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:43 AM

Seems there is a great need to get people from south florida to central florida and off the highways. In Orlando, I assume one is possibly picked up at that train by a bus, a rental car, uber or taxi. ?

Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Forgive me, but what is the difference between this train and Tri-Rail? Just faster with fewer stops? Unless you live and work right off of one of the 3 stations, you will still need additional transportation at both ends. This is the problem with Tri-Rail. The new train will be just as useless for commuting until they build additional east-west lines that connect with business districts and neighborhoods. This will do nothing to alleviate 95 congestion.

This train is more useful as a long distance commuter to Orlando. But how often to people go to Orlando? Once a year at most? Then what do you do when you get off of the train? Walk 30 miles to Disney? Will they have car rental centers next to the station? Driving isn't that expensive or time consuming. I really don't see the great benefit here.

I am all for expanding the train system in South FL, but they really need to focus on the commuting aspect by building east-west, not a 1-line train like we already have in Tri-Rail.

Tri-Rail is inconvenient because it passes west of the downtown cores.

The eastern link is what most people advocate for. Indeed, many see it as the first step to including inter-city rail (in other words, tri-rail on the eastern tracks) in addition to AAF, which would just stop at the major downtown centers.

East-West links in South Florida would be infinitely more expensive than this project, which is expensive as it is.... and a PRIVATE enterprise, not a government run thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach