Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,624,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow2193812 View Post
Great information thank you everyone. Well to answer a few questions in the thread...

I currently commute over an hour each way so a long commute Im already use to. Im almost 40 and its time for a change, no kids currently but that may change (hence why Boca seemed more appealing). Im open to moving to Fort Lauderdale which should make job options more centrally located, yes? I had this (likely incorrect) stereotype that you cant find safe apartment complex in lauderdale -- its not true if you are willing to pay? I understand companies may not hire out of staters, which is why I may just move, plant new roots and roll the dice for a few months. F. Lauderdale area pays higher than my current location, but I still expect at least 20% pay cut and have to pay twice the rent. I priced health and car insurance and find those increases "doable" as well. Yea on paper its a sizable yearly loss, but money that would be used vacationing to florida anyway.... Its also not so much about the money anymore either
You do not want to commute from FTL to Boca, trust me. I drive down to Boca probably at least once to twice a week, often instead of going to my office in Palm Beach Gardens, I'll leave my home in Wellington at around 7:30AM, sometimes I take the turnpike depending on what client I'm going to visit or I'll take 441 which is easy but very boring bumper to bumper traffic drive, if I take 441, it often takes me 45 minutes to 1 hour to get near FAU off of Glades and 95 just as a worst case scenario...that is when school is in session and it's season, if you don't know what "Season" is well it's when the population in South Florida grows substantially between October - April'ish, what you will see is a lot of out of state plates (Snowbirds) and many are retirees who cannot drive. This all adds into making your commute more miserable.

It doesn't matter if your driving a performance car as the traffic is so heavy there is no room, but it almost always flows on my commute. I have made the mistake of leaving around 5PM near Glades and FAU and it's often horrendous, especially 95.

I really suggest you think about your thoughts of moving here without a job seriously, you said Software Engineer it's probably the better of the STEM fields to be in here according to my Engineer friends who I just asked for you via text. My one friend said to try a company called Modernizing Medicine they are near FAU in the R & D Business Park, I know where it is, nice location and a couple client companies are nearby, but they are not one of my accounts. My friend said that if you have strong Java skills, they might be interested, they do Healthcare Apps for Healthcare on Apple Hardware, iPad.

This is the company's website:

https://www.modmed.com/

He also said check out Office Depot who has their HQ in Boca, they hire Software Engineers, again strong Java experience.

I'm not an Engineer, I work in Corporate Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions and Wealth Management, but I did invest heavily in Apple and other Tech stocks, I had Apple back in the 90's right around when they almost folded and did not dump it..lucky me.... reasons I'm so up on STEM as I watch the markets and follow companies.

Last edited by THX 1138; 12-10-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 04:42 AM

4 posts, read 5,425 times
thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach