Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,891 times

Advertisements

Looking at some really nice townhouses in Pineapple Grove. So close to everything! But Is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,403,413 times
Great area, just a heads up, some of the town houses are very close to the train tracks.
Mallory square is a nice townhouse complex that should have rentals around your price range.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:11 PM

981 posts, read 901,563 times
yes, overall very safe. i live very close to that area in del ida. there is one not so hot spot with the liquor store where some "characters" were hanging out in the empty lot next to it. im not sure if the police have been monitoring but havent seen them lately (i walk my dogs by there practically every day), and honeslty ive never had any issue with harassment or crime even when they were there. wrt to the train, unfortunately you can hear it pretty much anywhere within the core downtown area (even close to the beach) so there is no totally getting away from it. at this point im used to it and with a white noise app dont even notice it.

however, as another poster stated there are some specific condos that are almost on the tracks and i expect worse wrt to noise. if we could only get the town to finally pony up the funds for the quiet zones, as the sound of the train itself isnt bad it is the warning whistles. for the taxes we are paying, they really should! overall, it is a GREAT area and we love living here. one benefit, is that outside the obvious social scene everything we need from pharmacy, supermarket, tailor, great bakery, etc is all within biking and in some case walking distance. not to mention the beach .

Old 11-09-2014, 01:13 PM

oh and if you do end up here, check out third and third restaurant. im by no means related to them so no conflict of interest, just a great locals place with local fresh food and good vibe. also j&j seafood is another goodie.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:14 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,427,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
yes, overall very safe. i live very close to that area in del ida. there is one not so hot spot with the liquor store where some "characters" were hanging out in the empty lot next to it. im not sure if the police have been monitoring but havent seen them lately (i walk my dogs by there practically every day), and honeslty ive never had any issue with harassment or crime even when they were there. wrt to the train, unfortunately you can hear it pretty much anywhere within the core downtown area (even close to the beach) so there is no totally getting away from it. at this point im used to it and with a white noise app dont even notice it.

however, as another poster stated there are some specific condos that are almost on the tracks and i expect worse wrt to noise. if we could only get the town to finally pony up the funds for the quiet zones, as the sound of the train itself isnt bad it is the warning whistles. for the taxes we are paying, they really should! overall, it is a GREAT area and we love living here. one benefit, is that outside the obvious social scene everything we need from pharmacy, supermarket, tailor, great bakery, etc is all within biking and in some case walking distance. not to mention the beach .
lol we used to hang out in that parking lot after work for a beer when the PO was across the street.. If we weren't wearing our uniforms the cops would've chased us out.

Cannery Row is on the former site of the old post office and a cool old Publix store.. Looks sooooo different now, wow.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:36 PM

byebye, wow another great historic nugget! i cant imagine a PO and Publix at Cannery Row, would love to find a pic. and uniform or not i cant picture you being the kind of person the police would ever chase out of anywhere . and apologies if i offended anyone with my characters comment...need to remember my mothers never judge a book by its cover advice. probably need to go edit that comment...

Old 11-09-2014, 03:09 PM

I'll try to find one.

Don't apologize for the "characters" comment! They probably wouldn't be offended

The PO was on the NE corner of Cannery Row. The vintage Publix, complete with the old neon wing sign, was at the other end in the SW corner. Ken and Hazel's was in that plaza for a while I don't even know if that place was reincarnated at another locale or not. It had several locations.

There was also Neal Farms Market a block or so south. That was our fresh local stand back in the day.

I don't remember exactly where the Piggly Wiggly was.

A really fascinating guy named Fred Sergio owned that parking lot and a building that used to be there. He was a letter carrier and retired just before I started. He used to walk around singing "Life is a song, let's sing it together".

He had an adorable house on the intracoastal. I believe it is still in the family-not sure. There were so many adorable little houses in that area back then. And some not so little. Some were just gorgeous.

Mr Sergio did a lot for Delray and was honored several times. I don't know if he's still with us. If so he's 97!

If you venture over to Delray Camera I think Chris has a bunch of old pictures. And lots of stories too!

Sail Inn-Stumble Out!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 6,891 times
Thanks everyone ! How about the boca downtown area? Safe areas there?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:11 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,771,991 times
They may be "safe" but they are close to "less safe" areas, if you mean what I think.

Just stay on the fringe of town and you will be happy.

Actually, imho, the older black neighborhood off 2nd ave just a couple of blocks west is ripe for gentrification and could be a great long term investment for the right person.

As for Boca, the only downtown of note is in the Mizner Park area and future building is about to explode. But that will be quite pricey... and quite 'safe'.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:00 PM

iirc, yeah both nw and sw 2nd ave have some cool old houses with potential. Just haven't been there in a while. The stuff that is going to be built around the old Sundy house area (Swinton and sw 1 ave) should lead to an increase in value.

The last time I was on se 2nd ave it was mainly white people who'd lived there forever lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach