Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:15 PM

229 posts, read 534,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Jeeebus

First off I said I lived in Loxahatchee, not exactly the nicest part of town but you shut me up by saying it was "some place in the middle of nowhere".

You are the one bringing up NYC. Well hello, NYC has portions of it that are high crime and portions that are low crime. Manhattan, for example, got cleaned up some time ago by aggressive policing. However, more importantly, it is also a place where rents start at $1500+ per month for 200 sq ft toilet and you can forget about owning your own place. When there is such concentration of wealth, it is likely people will finance whatever police they need to make it safe. You keep harping on PBC but PBC is a huge county with varied demographics. If you have the means, you live in a posh place on the beach. However, nobody stops you from owning an apartment on the beach or near the beach in Juno - that's a quiet little town with low crime AND it is affordable. You can easily afford PBG, Jupiter, Loxhahatchee, Wellington or Royal Palm if you are a middle class professional. Now if you are **** poor, it won't matter where you live - NYC, Riviera or East St. Louis but that goes for everywhere USA. Heck, I have been to Thackerville, Oklahoma, population "nothing" and it had a "bad part of town". Just accept it.
What am I not accepting? Some of what you're saying it basically the same thing I'm saying.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 PM

By the way, why are you saying that Juno Beach is affordable? Do you know what you're talking about?

$360,600 is the average price for a home in Juno Beach.

The median list price per square foot in Juno Beach is $265, which is higher than the Miami-Fort Lauderdale Metro average of $161.

Also, if you live in a nice near a bad area there can be spillover crime.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:13 PM

147 posts, read 230,375 times
We lived in a gated neighborhood in Brevard. Petty theft from unlocked cars was graduated up to stealing from locked cars, in broad daylight, roving groups of teens that were not residents of the gated neighborhood were found to be climbing a fence in a group of about 15 of them and telling the neighbor who yelled at them that she should shut up that they could do what they wanted to. They soon started breaking into the back sliding doors of the neighborhood homes in the day and the night. You didn't leave your garage door open because 2 neighbors had their whole garage cleared out. They continually broke the gates, cameras and fences in the gated neighborhood and taunted the hoa guard (unarmed untrained guy). They (non-resident kids) jumped into the hoa pool by the dozens after the guard would go home, they would thank the residents by throwing all of the lawn chairs into the pool and doing #2 in it. The hoa spend over $30,000 putting in more cameras, gates and fences but it does no good. They would ride the bikes they stole out of an open garage right down the street in daylight. The whole little town has complaints about the thefts out of cars day or night.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
Exactly the point I was trying to make. Some of you are wondering why people complain about the crime and you brag about living in a nice area of town and say "derp, I haven't experienced crime so it doesn't exist here!". When someone counters your comments you try to act like they can't talk about the bad sections because you think only your viewpoints matter. You are not being balanced.There are very nice areas of PBC but also many real high crime areas. Tri, some people can only afford to live in areas like Riviera Beach. Stop looking down on low income people with your snooty comments. Also, good job trying to stereotype where I live or how I act.

Derp is right. Palm Beach County has 1.3+ million people and who knows how many thousands of visitors within its borders. It is just as wrong for you to be relating your experience living in bad area as it is for someone in a good area to assume that their experience is typical.

A number of factors contribute to whether someone is going to be a victim. Not least of all personal demographic and activities engaged in.

There is literally no place left in this country that doesn't have "a bad part of town" or an area of crime. Maybe in rural America or those places where towns are separated by long distances.
As for "snooty comments," whatever. There are other options than Riviera Beach. If you can use a computer and put together coherent sentences (as basically demonstrated by your posts) then get up, get out and get something for yourself to get out of Riviera's most dangerous areas.

Exceptions apply for old folks on fixed income who can't leave and whose neighborhood changed around them from good to bad.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Jeeebus

First off I said I lived in Loxahatchee, not exactly the nicest part of town but you shut me up by saying it was "some place in the middle of nowhere".

You are the one bringing up NYC. Well hello, NYC has portions of it that are high crime and portions that are low crime. Manhattan, for example, got cleaned up some time ago by aggressive policing. However, more importantly, it is also a place where rents start at $1500+ per month for 200 sq ft toilet and you can forget about owning your own place. When there is such concentration of wealth, it is likely people will finance whatever police they need to make it safe. You keep harping on PBC but PBC is a huge county with varied demographics. If you have the means, you live in a posh place on the beach. However, nobody stops you from owning an apartment on the beach or near the beach in Juno - that's a quiet little town with low crime AND it is affordable. You can easily afford PBG, Jupiter, Loxhahatchee, Wellington or Royal Palm if you are a middle class professional. Now if you are **** poor, it won't matter where you live - NYC, Riviera or East St. Louis but that goes for everywhere USA. Heck, I have been to Thackerville, Oklahoma, population "nothing" and it had a "bad part of town". Just accept it.

Exactly.

The internet is a dangerous place, because people think it can substitute for actual experience.

In New York what someone on Juno Beach pays for rent for something comparable would be living in some not-quite-yet-gentrifying area in a not so nice part of a borough.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:16 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,596 times
Quote:
By the way, why are you saying that Juno Beach is affordable? Do you know what you're talking about?

[b]$360,600 is the average price for a home in Juno Beach.
What is the average price of a condo of same square footage in NYC? How about Manhattan? Depending on where you come from, $360K for a condo on the beach is pretty affordable or sky-high, it is all relative. For the same $360K you can get a house with a few acres in Jupiter Farms - safe, plenty of room to spread and close to ocean. Low crime too. There are plenty of choices in PBC.

However, if you do not PERSONALLY like PBC....well, that's different.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
What is the average price of a condo of same square footage in NYC? How about Manhattan? Depending on where you come from, $360K for a condo on the beach is pretty affordable or sky-high, it is all relative. For the same $360K you can get a house with a few acres in Jupiter Farms - safe, plenty of room to spread and close to ocean. Low crime too. There are plenty of choices in PBC.

However, if you do not PERSONALLY like PBC....well, that's different.
The average salaries in those areas of NYC are higher as well. Saying that Jupiter Farms is close to the ocean is an arguable statement as that area would be considered far inland for South Florida standards. $360K is not considered an average cost for a home for the average Joe. Anyway, it's pretty clear that PBC has some of the nicest areas in the entire country and looks better than most of the U.S. Never argued that point. But to deny that there are actual high crime areas in Palm Beach County is not giving it a balanced view.

In before "but there's dangerous areas across the country!"

I'm not sure why you don't personally like PBC. What do you have against it personally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

There is literally no place left in this country that doesn't have "a bad part of town" or an area of crime.
Weston has no bad area of town.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:30 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,596 times
Quote:
The average salaries in those areas of NYC are higher as well. Saying that Jupiter Farms is close to the ocean is an arguable statement as that area would be considered far inland for South Florida standards. $360K is not considered an average cost for a home for the average Joe. Anyway, it's pretty clear that PBC has some of the nicest areas in the entire country and looks better than most of the U.S. Never argued that point. But to deny that there are actual high crime areas in Palm Beach County is not giving it a balanced view.
Don't forget Juno is a BEACH town. You get to own a condo on the BEACH. As far as BEACH towns go, it is pretty affordable, it is very quiet and clean and nice.

I lived in NYC myself and worked there. Even with a six figure salary, after all the taxes (city, state, federal), I could afford a little toilet-style box to live in (rent, not own). At the end I moved across the river and got a bigger box. Sorry, to say that "incomes are higher in NYC so prices are higher" is 1/2 the truth (you are the one who loves stats, no?). Everyone knows that the wealth concentration in Manhattan is pretty high above average. The only people who can afford to OWN a place in Manhattan are the high-layer managers, expensive lawyers, doctors and consultants and the rich. However, almost anyone can own in Loxahatchee, Royal Palm, Jupiter Farms, PBG, even Juno. Yeah, maybe your local welder is priced out of Juno but not your local mid-level manager. Heck, I know a few horse farriers that own nice places in Jupiter Farms.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you don't personally like PBC. What do you have against it personally?
I personally like PBC but I don't think you do.

Nobody denied the fact that there are pockets of crime in PBC. Some of us even tried to explain to you why. But you are sticking to your "stats don't lie" story in addition to telling us how NY state or NYC has lower crime rates than PBC. I don't know all of PBC but I know the areas north of Boca to avoid, all the way to the west boundary of the county. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to be able to sit in your car and take a drive around and observe what and who lives where and what goes on.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:32 AM

That is not completely true. The 12th Fairway in Wellington looks decent but it's not a good neighborhood.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Do you think the average salary is THAT much higher? Do you think if you're a retail worker or hospitality worker, the difference in your wage is going to make up for the fact that you can't rent a shoe box for less than $2000/month? BEFORE state and city taxes?

The median sales price for a home in NYC is 1.175 MILLION dollars.

The median sales price in Palm Beach is something like $270k.

Salaries are higher in NYC, but they aren't 5x higher! (Except, as explained again, for top CEOs, bankers, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty
Weston has no bad area of town.
Weston is a far flung artificial Western suburb of basically nothing but gated communities built in the past 20 years. It also goes against your "affordable area" metric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach