Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,019 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in NJ, wih two school age children. We are thinking of moving to the boca area because we hear the schools are some of the best in FL. We are blue collar, my husband is a boat captain and I am a hairstylist, with an income of about 120k. We would be renting with a budget of 1800/month. Just wondering if we would be comfortable living in Boca or if most of the people there would have a higher income than us. I am not concerned about my husband and I, but would not want my children to feel out of place at school with the other kids. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Do you have jobs lined up and guaranteed placement? Private schools are the best in Florida but there are some exceptions in certain cities where the quality is better but not at the standard in the Northeast.

$120K is probably average in parts of NJ, but have you research to see if you can get the same salary down here? If you can match your salary, I would say you could live quite comfortably if your happy with public schools, otherwise plan on a minimum of $10K/year for child for private school up to $20K+/year per child for St.Andrews or American Heritage in Boca.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Keep in mind that car insurance is just as high as NJ and the COL is just as high accept for Property Taxes NJ is much higher than boca depending on what part and even that it wont be as high as NJ if your not on the water....Boca is a great place to live....We love it and been very happy with the schools and we are from NYC and lived in NJ for 10 years....Just be prepared if you are renting rents in Boca range and are quiet high so depending on your expenses u will have to see if the Salary will be enough..there is a great site cant remember it but it will give u the Cost of living for Boca and how much you have to make and personally since living here for almost 4 years I think they are a bit off and as the salary should be a bit higher....

Good Luck

Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,220 times
< sarcasm >Everyone want's to live in Boca, but not everyone who lives there want's you to live there. < /sarcasm >

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
< sarcasm >Everyone want's to live in Boca, but not everyone who lives there want's you to live there. < /sarcasm >

Classic line!

The one stereo type that really needs to be address is that Boca is totally a wealthy area......it is not. There are trailer parks (Sandalfoot), a ghetto (Pearl City), scores of cheap condos (Sandalfoot, Century Village) and thousands of regular homes 1500-3000 sq ft that range in the 100's to 300's.

Country Clubs and Waterfront will obviously cost more/be wealthy areas but for every mansion there is a 1500 sq ft ranch home that is 40 years old and needs a little updating!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
The Rat's Mouth for me = too much botox, multiple face lifts and a full glass of pretentious on the rocks.....

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Classic line!

The one stereo type that really needs to be address is that Boca is totally a wealthy area......it is not. There are trailer parks (Sandalfoot), a ghetto (Pearl City), scores of cheap condos (Sandalfoot, Century Village) and thousands of regular homes 1500-3000 sq ft that range in the 100's to 300's.

Country Clubs and Waterfront will obviously cost more/be wealthy areas but for every mansion there is a 1500 sq ft ranch home that is 40 years old and needs a little updating!
Pearl City is not a ghetto. It is a Black neighborhood. It's not high-end, but I've been up and down every street in Pearl City in the day and at night and, while it doesn't have high-end homes, there is nothing ghetto about it, unless the term ghetto is being used to equal Black. There are some sketchy-looking homes north of 20th and east of Dixie, but they are a street away from middle-income homes and even that area has well-kept properties next to more run-down places.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Pearl City is not a ghetto. It is a Black neighborhood. It's not high-end, but I've been up and down every street in Pearl City in the day and at night and, while it doesn't have high-end homes, there is nothing ghetto about it, unless the term ghetto is being used to equal Black. There are some sketchy-looking homes north of 20th and east of Dixie, but they are a street away from middle-income homes and even that area has well-kept properties next to more run-down places.

Definition of Ghetto: A ghetto is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure

From Wikipedia: Pearl City, Boca Raton FL
Pearl City, and the adjourning community of Lincoln Court, as well as the Dixie Manor housing projects, are classified as low-income because of high levels of poverty. This is also where the majority of the city's black population lives. Subsequently, the Boca Raton Police Department held an investigation in the 1980s, after identifying the area for being a drug trafficking hub.[2]

Yeah, I got it wrong......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach