Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,164 times

Advertisements

Hi! Our house has been vacant for about 3 months now and it appears as though, out current homeowners insurance will not cover it any more! Can someone provide names/contacts for insurance companies that will provide vacant home insurance in the Royal palm area?

Thanks!
A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,735,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroo View Post
Hi! Our house has been vacant for about 3 months now and it appears as though, out current homeowners insurance will not cover it any more! Can someone provide names/contacts for insurance companies that will provide vacant home insurance in the Royal palm area?

Thanks!
A

Obviously you aren't telling us all the reasons that your policy was dropped.

A whole lot of folks are gone for at least 6 month a year and do not loose their insurance.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,899,774 times
Contact Farmers Insurance. Vacant Home Insurance | Farmers Insurance

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 AM

58 posts, read 126,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Obviously you aren't telling us all the reasons that your policy was dropped.

A whole lot of folks are gone for at least 6 month a year and do not loose their insurance.
Everyone that has Citizens loses their coverage when the house becomes vacant.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,521,615 times
How interesting, I never heard of losing insurance on an empty house. Like having people in it makes it a better risk? Seems the opposite to me. Huh. Anyway, just get out the yellow pages and start calling a few offices that deal with multiple companies. I would think just about any insurance agent worth their license would immediately know of an insurer for you.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,735,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecu View Post
Everyone that has Citizens loses their coverage when the house becomes vacant.
Didn't know that about Citizen's(a state supported company). You would think that they would, as the insurance is really only there to protect the lender. Myself I'm self insured(own outright) and invest the 3k that would normally be spent annually.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM

13 posts, read 19,028 times
Citizens will only drop your insurance if you truly vacate the property...ie all your furniture and belongings and leave the property not only un-lived in, but truly "vacant".

Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,899,774 times
Vacant means empty. Void of furnishings. It is not the same as unoccupied, as many FL houses are for a good portion of the year when owned by "snowbirds".

Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,333 times
We faced this and found only two companies willing to write a vacant home policy. One was Foremost the other was Lloyd's of London. We went with Foremost. I almost fainted when I found out how much it was going to cost. It was at least triple, maybe more and they would only write for a one year term, but failed to tell us that when we signed up for the policy. After taking about $6000 for a one year policy they gave us 30 days notice that they would not extend it. We found a work around but it wasn't easy. Prior to vacating the house we had no idea or we would have sold before we bought our new house.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,500,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
How interesting, I never heard of losing insurance on an empty house. Like having people in it makes it a better risk? Seems the opposite to me. Huh. Anyway, just get out the yellow pages and start calling a few offices that deal with multiple companies. I would think just about any insurance agent worth their license would immediately know of an insurer for you.
With the amount of vandalism and theft going on with empty homes this is a very high risk. The number of REO properties with missing a/c units, water systems and interior theft and damage is the reason that the risk is so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach