Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM

10 posts, read 22,890 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have been lurking here for some weeks now as my wife and I are pretty set on moving to southern florida in the fall or early winter this year. We have a newborn child as well so keep that in mind. Right now we live in a VERY rural town with not much to do for two young adults (31 and 27). We love an active lifestyle, just being able to go for walks, go for a bike ride, enjoy the beach, play soccer/volleyball, going out to eat, going to cafes for a drink etc. Right now we dont get much of that, and we both dislike the cold weather up north.

We took a trip down to Ft Lauderdale last year to visit some friends, and while we liked it there it seems a bit too much like a party scene. Maybe it just felt that way since I was visting friends who are single males, so we were going out every night. The general feel of the city felt very young but more geared to partying. We want a young crowd as well, but less of the night club scene. Dont get me wrong I would prefer Ft Lauderdale 100x over where we live now, but just giving my impression and to help you guys understand what we are looking for. Something similar to Ft Lauderdale but a touch more low key.

As I have been lurking/reading, Delray Beach seems appealing to me even though we have never been there. Being able to just leave the apartment and walk on Atlantic Ave would be a nice change for us. How are the beaches there? Are there any beach bars (think more european style) with waitors on the beach, volleyball nets, music? We enjoy the beach when there is something there, not just the ocean and the sand. I am also interested in Boca Raton and West Palm Beach but have also never visited either of them as well. I will probably take a trip down to FL in the summer to start apartment hunting and also take a look at these areas before the wife and child come.

I wont be looking for a day job as I have investments up north which will sustain us for the forseable future until I start a business in FL. Rent can be anywhere between $2,000-$3,000. I would really like somewhere that is CENTRAL in that town. I dont want to have to drive to go get milk for example, or if we want to get a bite to eat to be able to just walk downstairs and go get something. The less the car is needed the better.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:54 PM

590 posts, read 1,019,400 times
Florida in general is not that friendly for people wanting to walk. I am Erupean and I miss that, but the only city where you could find that, and depending on where you live is Miami.

Mostly you will need to drive to shopping, even if you are in West Palm Beach downtown or Delray Beach. Again, it depends on the area, but most of shopping here is located in shopping centers ("plazas") so the goal is to drive short distances more than walking.

Delray is nice, if you could get a place near the beach.

West Palm Beach might be what you look for: not strictly party city, but you can if you want to, plenty of shopping, bars, restaurants, but also the possibility of leaving quietly when you feel to.

Many here walk inside their communities, as communities can be huge and normally very nicely kept.

Try to narrow it dow to what you would like: apartment or house, big gated communities and centrally located condo.

Again, West Palm might be a good choice because if you want to go to Boca-Delray or north toward Palm Beach Gardens it's more than feasible (20 miles in both directions north and south and you are anywhere in Palm Beach County from West Palm).

Beaches are everywhere of course, and each place has itw own bars near the beach. The scene you described (beach volley bars in the sands etc) sounds to me more Miami and South Beach than Palm Beach County, are you considering Miami as well? It's a city that's definitely improved in the last 10 years and areas like Coconut Grove, Coral Gables South Miami will keep you near everything and near the beach.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 PM

166 posts, read 386,852 times
Hello MA,

We moved here from southern NH in 1987. Lots of good information but difficult for me to nail this one for you. Everything you want can be found near the beaches, and yes in Delray I'm sure you can find a condo within walking distance to Atlantic Ave. (we like that new renovation as well). No waiters on beaches though, although in Deerfield Beach JBs and Oceans 324 are right on the beach and next to a boardwalk and volleyball court. The wrench in this is that you have a child and if you live east, anywhere from Miami to Jupiter, you'll be putting your child in a private school. If you want public schools then they are west and it is better to buy now while the market is at the bottom. Out west the best schools are in Coral Springs, Parkland, west Boca, Wellington, and Weston.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 AM

513 posts, read 968,181 times
Mass,

You are describing South Beach not WPB or Delray with your European Bars on the beach/Fresca nightlife. WPB people wise..can be broken up into a few categories: Latino Gang Bangers, Crusty Old People, Rich Boaters (ME) who are here seasonally, 30 something singles who moved here from the North, a some WASPS, and some fat chicks.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM

326 posts, read 954,213 times
I live right on Hollywood Beach which is just south of Ft Lauderdale. It's a little less of a party scene here than Ft Lauderdale, but there's still plenty of party if you should want it. I think the night time crowd is a bit older and a little more family oriented. There's a 2 mile long Broadwalk (not boardwalk) that runs right along the beach with all kinds of restaurants, cafes, bars, ice cream shops, etc. You don't even have to cross a street to go from beach to restaurant since the vehicle traffic runs behind the Broadwalk businesses. The building I live in has a restaurant on the ground floor that overlooks the ocean.

Five nights a week there's free live entertainment on the beach as well as festivals and special events year round although that sort of thing is definitely more concentrated during the winter months. We have a huge French Canadian population in the winter so you're just as likely to hear French spoken as you are Spanish or English. There's also a bit of an Eastern European population here as well. Oh, and plenty of New Englanders.

There are quite a few little convenience stores interspersed here and there if you need the basics. I ride my bicycle to the Publix which is about a mile or so from my apartment if I don't need a lot of stuff. I often pass others who do the same while pulling a kid or two behind them in a wagon type thing.

There's a trolley that runs from the beach into downtown Hollywood you can ride for a dollar. Downtown has even more restaurants, bars and shops. It's a little like Las Olas Blvd in Ft Lauderdale or Atlantic in Delray.

If traffic cooperates I can be in Miami Beach in about 30 minutes or Ft Lauderdale in about 15 and West Palm Beach in about an hour.

Hollywood Beach is what some people like to call "Old Florida" because there has been limited new construction here and a lot of family owned hotels are all over the place and there are very few buildings over 6 stories compared to other beach communities.

Some people don't like Hollywood Beach for whatever reason. But it's my favorite place in South Florida. Here's a website to check out if you're so inclined: Hollywood Florida Beach Vacations Planner -- Your Florida Vacation destination

Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 AM

10 posts, read 22,890 times
Thanks for all the posts. I like Miami as well, been there a few years ago but I was there during memorial weekend and it seemed like it was Hip Hop nation in miami. Wasnt really my scene at all. Otherwise we enjoyed it. Hollywood sounds interesting, I will into it. I like the idea of Delray because how everything is supposed to be new and modern. Whats the best way of finding an apartment in FL without being able to see it in person? I will probably take a 4 night trip down there in August to take a look at the different towns. Spend one night in WPB, one night in Delray, one in Boca, and probably one in Jupiter (friend is there). Think I should use a realtor down there and when I come for the trip try to see as many as possible?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,784,257 times
I don't think Delray will be your cup of tea at all. It sounds like you need a bigger, pond with younger fish.
Delray has a substantial over 55 population that lives in developed communities mostly west of i-95.
The younger (35-50) crowd likely still works and if they are single, often rents condos east of I-95, where the ethnic influence may cause you concern if you have school age kids.
I would lean toward WPB or, if you want to be closer to a much larger pond, Hollywood, as it has a fun vibe and is near Ft Lauderdale for shopping and a wide variety of activities. Also the housing pool is much larger, especially if you have a family.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,807 times
I just moved to Coral Springs from Belmont, MA. I wish I could move back. Way more culture up North and the people seem more genuine as well. Although the beaches in FL are fun and much hotter chicks.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 AM

326 posts, read 954,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog330 View Post
I just moved to Coral Springs from Belmont, MA. I wish I could move back. Way more culture up North and the people seem more genuine as well. Although the beaches in FL are fun and much hotter chicks.
I think you've summed it up pretty succinctly.

Especially in the summertime, it's hard to find anything to do. Unless you like to go to malls or movies. My husband and I were desperate to find something to do this past Sunday so we just got in the car and drove. Everything pretty much looks the same for miles and miles and miles. We ended up driving Dixie Hwy from Ft Lauderdale to Lake Worth and stopping downtown and having a couple of drinks and driving 95 home. The beach gets a little tedious after awhile when it's pretty much the only game in town all summer.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog330 View Post
In some respect, but Coral Springs is a suburban area, you need to get into other areas to experience more culture. It's the same way where I live, you have to get out and experience things. Some things though will never be the same, I miss plenty of the Northeast that just won't ever happen here. Food quality and lack of certain foods for starters.

People, well it's South Florida, vanity is in style. There is also a lot of ethnic groups here who don't intermingle with others.

Come winter though, you will be glad your down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach