Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 AM

67 posts, read 172,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I think you will find you are going to need to compromise on some things on your list. What is your price range? Do you want to rent a home,condo,on the water,etc? If a private rental you will probably need to deal with a realtor. Just make sure to do your own research because they will lie and also can't tell you legally if it is safe or not.
I was going to suggest East Boca or Palm Beach Gardens. It does not meet all your needs. You can walk to shops and restaurants. The area has less crime.
Hi Daniella,
Thanks so much for your post. Can you give more info about East Boca? What needs might it not meet? What might I be compromising on? I'm aware of the "snob factor" but I can charm even the snobs, so I'm not especially put off by that. That said, I'm very down to earth, and enjoy being around similar people. I don't like it when people put up a front.

I'd really like to rent a townhouse, ideally; I don't really like apartment life, a different sort of people, usually (sorry if that offends anyone, but I've found that to be true) and I'd like to have a garage, and that's hard to find with an apartment. My price range is up to $2500 a month, and I don't really care if I'm on the water or not, but would like to be close to the water (east of I95) for the lifestyle reasons that people recommended. (And bless all of you who responded to my ramblings! You're helping me so much!)

In my youth I lived in Northwest Portland, and loved that I could walk everywhere...pity I lacked the money to really take advantage of the neighborhood. And here in rural Nevada, you can't walk anywhere, you are stuck in your car. And if you could walk, you'd probably get run over by Bubba in his pickup...lol! Anyway, I love to be able to walk to the store, the bank. I work at home, so getting out of the house every day is essential to me; I'd go stir-crazy otherwise, and when you don't have the "social" aspect of work, you need to get out of the house to meet others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newish2FL View Post
Well, not likely, as mostly we have black Caribbeans here not black Africans.

The two cultures are completely different. One has a continental mentality and the other an Island mentality.

We have near zero Mexicans here but countless Cubans and south Americans. They all are labeled "Hispanics", but the differences between people of Mexico City and Havana are night and day.

This is also the south and those roots and old ways run deep. You can see it in the faces and the behavior of the non-whites non-hispanics and especially in Boca/Delray.

The unspoken racial boundaries are drawn differently here than other US states and that is further complicated by the cultural diversity that's unique to south Florida.

Here, you're more likely to encounter a Rastafarian from Jamaica, not a Compton California gang banger.

If the guy is a Rasta or a Banger, or white in a business suit, trust no-one. Use extra common sense and be extra prudent. It's better to be overly cautious than under here by a w-i-d-e margin.

That doesn't mean you have to live in fear, just keep your head about you and you should do fine.
Newish, can you expand your thoughts upon the behavior of the Hispanics in South FL? You can PM me if you don't feel like you can be candid here.

In Nevada, most of the hispanic population is from Mexico and Central America, so those cultures are familiar to me, but I'm not familiar with Cuban culture. I refuse to visit until Cuba is free, and haven't spent enough time in south FL to become familiar with this cultural group. I adore Cuban music and Cuban food (fried plantains, yum!) and am interested to hear more.

I loved that I could use my Spanish every day when I was visiting PBC...maybe that sounds weird, but I miss it here in Nevada. There are few Spanish-speaking people here with whom I have much in common, but found many middle/upper class people in FL who speak fluent Spanish. Here, fluent Spanish is a lower-class thing, usually.

Also, the "trust" issue. Can you tell me more? Again, you can PM if you'd rather. And don't feel the need to self-censor for "politically correct" reasons. I'm okay with whatever you say, you're not going to "offend" me.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 AM

122 posts, read 315,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS View Post
@exmbdude, do you mean west of the Railroad tracks, but east of the I95 freeway is the rough part? That seems to be the area around Seacrest, looking at the map, but I don't live there so of course could be mistaken. Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my questions. Everyone here is so kind and helpful!

I'm not into "sleepy"...had years of that here, ready for a change...so I'll cross Boynton off my list and concentrate on Boca or Delray.
I should have specified, there are two sets of tracks. One near I-95 and one near US-1, the area between those two is what I was referring to.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
Quote:
Hi Daniella,
Thanks so much for your post. Can you give more info about East Boca? What needs might it not meet? What might I be compromising on? I'm aware of the "snob factor" but I can charm even the snobs, so I'm not especially put off by that. That said, I'm very down to earth, and enjoy being around similar people. I don't like it when people put up a front.
If you live near Mizner Park/downtown Boca you may be able to find that walkable lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS
I'd really like to rent a townhouse, ideally; I don't really like apartment life, a different sort of people, usually (sorry if that offends anyone, but I've found that to be true) and I'd like to have a garage, and that's hard to find with an apartment. My price range is up to $2500 a month, and I don't really care if I'm on the water or not, but would like to be close to the water (east of I95) for the lifestyle reasons that people recommended. (And bless all of you who responded to my ramblings! You're helping me so much!)
Downtown Delray has a couple of townhouse developments. Also, I know you said you are looking further south county... BUT... Cityplace in West Palm Beach has some beautiful 3 story townhomes in that rental price range (especially the units with the courtyard view). Cityplace and Clematis districts will have all the life essentials one needs. You could conceivably life quite fine without a car. Gentrified area.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmbdude View Post
I should have specified, there are two sets of tracks. One near I-95 and one near US-1, the area between those two is what I was referring to.
Got it, thank you!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,256,427 times
Smile Another neighborhood

Quote:
Got it, thank you!
Charleston Place in Boca Raton off of 18 Street (SW) - they are townhomes.
Friendly neighborhood.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,834,462 times
Well you stated the dating pool where you are is shallow and since I feel Boca out of the many states I have lived is very shallow that is number 1. Also Boca lacks culture and is not diverse at all.
The Charleston apts that Bette suggested though are not in East Boca that is Central I think. I don't know much about them but in your price range I would look for a home rental in gated community. That is my opinion as I think the apartments in Boca are not nice in general and many are filled with college kids. If you are noise sensitive be careful in certain areas of East Boca and Delray because there are trains and they run all during the night. I think Central Boca is nicer but you won't be able to walk to a lot.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 11,256,427 times
Smile Not that one -

Charleston Place off of SW 18 Street & Military Trail is a mix of townhomes and single family homes - they are actually all single family homes but considered townhomes because they are attached.

It is the friendliest neighborhood. People actually know their neighbors. It was built in 1982/1983 and each one is a different color like Charleston, SC.

It is not to be confused with Charleston Place Apartments - totally totally different!!!

I'll try to find a link to a property that you can see it better.

There are community pools (4) and parks.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:56 AM

623 posts, read 1,304,380 times
CHARLESTON place is sooooo pretty. We just want SIDEWALKS. Where are their sidewalks? ((
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach