Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 01:19 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,024 times

Advertisements

Just a couple of comments. Yes, the drivers in south Florida are impatient, if you wait more than half a second to go after the light turns green they honk at you. Everyone honks at everything. I think it's the New York influence. I used to get annoyed by it. But, guess what, I moved to Louisville KY and now I'M the one honking! Not as impatiently as people down in FL were, but when someone is clearly driving stupidly, I just can't help it - Florida rubbed off on me I suppose - LOL! I disagree about the roads not being marked clearly - I think they are very well marked - you are lucky to find street signs in Louisville and when you do they are often small and usually only in one direction. All over Palm Beach county there are signs to tell you the street at the upcoming light and again at the light itself. Yes, the economy is bad everywhere and New York is one of the worst but so is Florida. Florida's governor elect was interviewed tonite on CNN and he had to admit the unemployment rate in FL is much worse than the nationwide rate. Clearly, Florida has its problems. I think it's a matter of priorities where we like living and those prorities change in the course of our lives. I think I would have been bored in Florida when I was younger, say 20's and 30's. I liked living in a big city with all the culture it has to offer. Now that I'm older I don't miss that as much and miss the traffic even less. I never liked the cold but braving the elements and digging out from snow is easier when you are young. For me, the climate is ideal in south Florida - always the warmest place in the winter and never the hottest place in the summer. I also liked living in a place that was green year round, never missed the seasons one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 AM

623 posts, read 1,302,637 times
Default Funny, that's how

we feel about Manhattan and New york City area. I cannot begin to tell you of the problems with small businesses in nyc -------and the restrictions for permits, licenses, fines, outrageous Rents, both commercial business spaces and residential. Not to mention the tax rate!

Guess I better hop on over to the NYC board and join the gripers there eh?

I hope I have all day and night to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatyhotviolentwestpalm View Post
Fact is>> it is better elsewhere,,,fact is anyone who has left & wanted better conditions,(job,lower unemployment,lower cost of living,less regulation) has never come back to south FL & further they never regretted leaving.>>>BIG DEAL there's no State income tax???? so what you save in taxes you make up for in permit fee's for capital improvements on your home,higher ga$ prices because of higher tax rates in Ga$,,higher food prices,impact fee's.vehicle registration fee's (1st timers get screwed) business taxes are higher,various industry's must pay increases every year.The 16 yrs I been in business both my county licensing fee's,occupational fee's registration fee's & every town & municipality fee's have increased. there ain't one fee's this County never liked nor neglected to pass,or neglected to collect.
I don't pay for it ultimately the consumer does.Only because I have stayed on the cutting edge of innovation & diversification & I have a good referral base I am still in business & still (yes) making a profit,unlike all the other loser company's fly by nighters in this transient south fl,some call paradise.
Texas looks fine from here,however I am north bound,soon house currently under contract,,,seesh,,can't wait to kiss Soth FL goodbye

Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN
Our beaches in North Carolina are more pretty than anything I saw on the Altantic Ocean side.
Um... no.

When North Carolina has a beach and water that looks like this:

Personally, I don't go in the ocean when the water is less than 80 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN
I don't think Florida is a place I would ever want to live. We may visit again on the Gulf side or drive to Key West or take a ship from Charleston.

Again, to each his own. Many people rave about Western North Carolina, but I'd probably go crazy living there. Talk about boring!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvchat View Post
we feel about Manhattan and New york City area. I cannot begin to tell you of the problems with small businesses in nyc -------and the restrictions for permits, licenses, fines, outrageous Rents, both commercial business spaces and residential. Not to mention the tax rate!

Guess I better hop on over to the NYC board and join the gripers there eh?

I hope I have all day and night to do so.

EXACTLY! According to almost every "cost of doing business" and tax burden rankings, New York ranks HIGHEST or CLOSE to highest.

But hey, if income tax, city income tax, and an exorbitant sales tax and ever increasing public transport fees are what someone's idea of "business friendly," let em have at it.

I work with more than my share of professional NYers who have relocated to PBC and not one has expressed a desire to go back.

My aunt in FL recently rekindled a relationship with a man who was an electrician in New Jersey. He came to FL (Palm Bay), and HATED it. So, she followed him to NJ, leaving her job in FL, and they now live half as well as they did in FL, and he makes about $2-$3/hour more. Big whoop, especially after leaving their 2 bedroom rental for $750/month in FL, for a tiny $1100/month 1 bedroom apartment in a converted single family home.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 AM

Come to NYC! please please please
Attached Thumbnails
For those who have left south Florida-nyc-winter-07-02.jpg  

Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 AM

Default Come to NYC

or Just New York state.

WE NEED YOUR TAX DOLLARS

Old 12-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Doom and Gloom? The truth is no good jobs are coming here, name any and surprise me
First, what is your definition of a "good job?" A car manufacturing plant? "High tech" jobs?

Even with a nebulous definition, there have been and continues to be expansion of nascent biotech industries in S. Fla/PBC:

Scripps
Torrey Pines
Max Plank

Two emerging bioscience research companies are also expanding into PBC:

TWO EMERGING BIO SCIENCE RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT COMPANIES EXPANDING IN PALM BEACH COUNTY

And Biomedical investment dollars continue to come in to Florida in general:

Florida Bio Medical Investment Dollars Now Surpass 2009 by 24% | Smart Start Palm Beach

Again, no need to say there are no "good jobs" coming, or that people aren't trying, because it undercuts and minimizes the work being done by smaller companies:

Enterprise Development Corporation Technology conferences show South Florida is moving forward

Expanding into Orlando, biotech cluster is also developing in Florida:

http://www.business-orlando.org/core...20Rankings.pdf

Also, all you have to do is read the Business Development Board's website to get updates on businesses expanding in, or coming to, Palm Beach County. For example, the most recent news:

Two Companies Opening Operations in Palm Beach County | Smart Start Palm Beach

(Manufacturing to Riviera Beach, Medical Software company to Boynton Beach)

LRP PUBLICATIONS, MDVIP, AND SURGITRACE EXPAND IN PALM BEACH COUNTY

(Expansion of MDVIP, LRP Publications, and Surgitrace)

Small steps, but it's not jobs being a busboy in a restaurant or a bellhop for a new hotel. People who are dependent on "real estate" and "construction" will continue to struggle or have to become innovative themselves to stay busy in PBC for the next few years.

Also, let's not forget the Digital Domain studio/arts college coming to West Palm Beach, and studio in Port St. Lucie. Impact expected to be 13000 + jobs total, with potential for spinoff and related companies:

West Palm Beat blog | The Palm Beach Post » Blog Archive » Textor pitches Digital Domain to chamber, claims more immediate impact than Scripps

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138
Not that I'm saying move to Texas, just the facts of why they are attracting high tech and jobs from elsewhere.
So you believe Florida should get rid of corporate income tax to stay competitive?

And sorry, but COL in Texas is not universally cheaper.

A $50,000 salary in WPB would need to increase to $62500 in Austin:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

----------------

The challenge is of course to have leaders that continue to press development and diversification of economy efforts. MY biggest problem with S. Fla is that a lot of residents are shortsighted, and more concerned with their property taxes than helping grow and support a more vibrant economy.

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
Great Post Tri..I tried to give u rep points but I have to spread it around a bit...Born and raised in Brooklyn NY my dh worked 15 years on Wall Street and then in NJ for quiet some time as we lived there for 10 years and well neither of us would go back.....the bottom line is it really isnt much better there `and lets face it the salaries ALL over the country have changed it would make sense for us to go back anyhow we are fortunate dh does well for florida....but the most important thing is there is no perfect place unforunately and yes one has to go where they can if they need a job..dh had a job offer in Atlanta but we didnt want to live there after doing quiet a few visits it just wasnt for us...But we are biased to florida too we were going to build a home in Wellington 12 years ago and well never did because of my family...

Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatyhotviolentwestpalm;
Texas looks fine from here,however I am north bound,soon house currently under contract,,,seesh,,can't wait to kiss Soth FL goodbye
Home under contract?! A great day for PBC!

I think you might do better in Texas, though. NY/NJ, etc. may be too liberal for you. Because, hey, by chance, look what I found today on the Palm Beach Post comment section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweaty
SEXTING ALERT,,SEXTING ALERT TO ALL YOUNG ****** MEN,,, & BOYZ FOLEY THE rino IS OUT & ON THE LOOSE & WANTS u

SWEATYHOTCORRUPTSOUTHFLORIDUH
10:11 PM, 12/4/2010

Can you tell us what the ****** was supposed to stand for? I have an idea. A word that starts with an "f" and ends in "t".... yeah, NYC is NOT going to be a place you want to be if that's your mentality, but hey, I'm certainly glad we'll have one less person in the county with that sort of mentality.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Default Oh then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Home under contract?! A great day for PBC!

I think you might do better in Texas, though. NY/NJ, etc. may be too liberal for you. Because, hey, by chance, look what I found today on the Palm Beach Post comment section:

Even better! New York city would be perfect!

Can you tell us what the ****** was supposed to stand for? I have an idea. A word that starts with an "f" and ends in "t".... yeah, NYC is NOT going to be a place you want to be if that's your mentality, but hey, I'm certainly glad we'll have one less person in the county with that sort of mentality.
Even better! New York city would be perfect!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach