Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 AM

437 posts, read 812,826 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from Florida Atlantic University with Marketing and Management degree and could not find jobs related to my field here . Is it wise for me to move up to West Coast or move to NYC and to search for jobs . How is the job market for marketing jobs there in West Coast compared to East Coast and is it wise for me to move out of Florida now i know Florida living costs is cheaper than both cities but how is the job market here .. Please share your thoughts thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,433,151 times
if you don't have a job there, I would not move. Unless you know someone you can hang with for awhile.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM

hmm i have some relatives in LA and here i am stuck here in west palm with security guard job

Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM

232 posts, read 775,112 times
My advice: try to get in with a company that has a good marketing dept even if its entry level - alot of companies hire within. Will allow you to network within. Network, network, network. It's not what you know....

If you do want to move out of Florida - get a job somewhere first unless your relatives dont mind you searching.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM

hmmm on top of that i apply for few marketing jobs here in Florida there is few scam companies like Ultra they will make u wear suit and tie going door to door sales selling crappy item

Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,415,431 times
use the job boards..go to Career Builder, Dice, Monster and there are a few others...also look into BIG recruiters, and I would check out Consulting as well..I can tell you there is a market for Consultants..All of our friends who are in NY and work are still looking for work in Manhattan so good luck on that...Its difficult if your out of state since there is so much talent already there...Don't Give up and stay positive..and just keep networking with people and sending your resumes..Times are rough Everywhere..Although California seems to be pretty good for Jobs as my dh was contact by quiet a few..he isnt looking or interested but they are out there...

Old 10-15-2010, 05:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,096,424 times
WPB and Florida in general has always been bad for jobs and salaries are a joke in FL. There aren't many big companies and a lot of the state's economy is based on tourism which is seasonal, and tourism jobs generally don't pay well at all anyway. There are jobs in the larger cities but they still don't pay very well despite the fact that the cost of living in FL goes up all the time. I grew up in Florida and the best job I could get when I graduated college paid $8.25 an hour at a law firm in Orlando. I left for Chicago where jobs pay a lot more though the weather sucks, then eventually moved to San Francisco where they pay even more. Weather is better but housing is expensive. Of course I went through all this when the economy was good, things suck here in California now.

I would look to see if you can get any interviews in Miami. If you can't then maybe look into states that do have some jobs like Texas. Florida is a decent place to raise a family and go to college and retire, but it's a really lousy place to get a career started when you're in your 20's and 30's.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the advice guys , i am not going to waste my time here in Florida with that say i am off to California next month to try my luck thanks please pray for me !

Old 10-16-2010, 06:42 PM

21 posts, read 62,380 times
Inter441,
I think you made the correct decision. Having recently graduated, you have your full life ahead of you. This is the time to spread your wings. Do not limit yourself by considering Florida alone.
Getting ahead involves giving yourself the best opportunity to succeed. Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 PM

Thanks planning to leave next month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach