Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 AM

2,815 posts, read 13,012,247 times

Advertisements

Well...this "mild" winter has frozen my naughty parts off numerous times. I'd hate to see what a moderate winter feels like if this past one was just "mild"....

Here was a typical mild day this winter. I saw this and immediately rushed into the house to put on my speedo and romp around in the warmth!!!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/icestormaftermathSnowJan20.jpg (broken link)

Oh look!! I don't have to get ice cubes for my margaritas from the freezer! Mother Nature provided it free of charge on every possible outdoor surface, including this 5" wall of ice blocking my garage! Grab that beach towel!!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/Dec1snowGarageDepth.jpg (broken link)

I just love mild winters

Last edited by MoMark; 03-08-2007 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,278,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Well...this "mild" winter has frozen my naughty parts off numerous times. I'd hate to see what a moderate winter feels like if this past one was just "mild"....
Gosh, they regenerate?! I really enjoy reading your posts. Substance, style and a sense of humor!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,893,054 times
Quote:
Nice pics, lol!

Maybe you'd like to read my list on winter climate types...

Old 03-08-2007, 08:07 AM

2,815 posts, read 13,012,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Gosh, they regenerate?! I really enjoy reading your posts. Substance, style and a sense of humor!
Thanks!
Yep, I've always found they grow back if you rub them

Old 03-08-2007, 08:25 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,893,054 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Yep, I've always found they grow back if you rub them
Mine disappear after Halloween and start growing back around Easter...

Old 03-08-2007, 01:33 PM

669 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Wow that is so beautiful! AZ rarely gets cold because its not a high latitude.
Um, you're kinda generalizing, right? You're not considering ALTITUDE. Latitude NEVER tells the whole story -- otherwise, you wouldn't expect, for example, West Virginia to be as cold/snowy as it is. It's right near Maryland which has fairly mild winters, but West Virginia's are much snowier. You wouldn't know from looking at latitude.

Flagstaff, AZ is one of the snowiest cities in the US. Seriously. This is why you can't judge by latitude.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 AM

3,630 posts, read 9,489,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I lived in Fargo for 2 years (average January temperature 7 degrees) and it was cold but its a very, very dry cold. I would much rather have 0 dry degrees in Fargo then 20 humid degrees in Ohio.
Yes, I know what you mean. I experienced it myself and hopefully never again. When I lived near Pittsburgh for two years the winters were not as cold as Upstate NY, but were much more humid. The cold, damp, rainy winters in Pittsburgh go right through your bones. The dry cold is much easier to deal with in Upstate NY.

Need_affordable_home, you're definition of a mild winter is off base. Where I live in Upstate NY, January, the coldest month of the year, has an average low temperature of 14 degrees and an average high of 31 degrees. February’s average is 15 for a low and 33 for a high. This part of Upstate NY gets an average of 100 to 120 inches of snow each winter. I don't consider this weather mild.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 PM

653 posts, read 3,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Um, you're kinda generalizing, right? You're not considering ALTITUDE. Latitude NEVER tells the whole story -- otherwise, you wouldn't expect, for example, West Virginia to be as cold/snowy as it is. It's right near Maryland which has fairly mild winters, but West Virginia's are much snowier. You wouldn't know from looking at latitude.

Flagstaff, AZ is one of the snowiest cities in the US. Seriously. This is why you can't judge by latitude.
You are so correct. Another example would be that NorthEast Wisconsin has a higher latitude than many of the Northern and Northeastern States. Yet it has colder winters on average, than almost anywhere in the lower 48. Rapid City South Dakota is another oddity, when it comes to weather and latitude. I PERSONALLY have seen temperatures in the 70s in January there. And one only need to check the NWS records to see that Las Vegas Nevada has recorded a low temperature of Zero degrees. Latitude is only one factor in prevailing weather for any given location. MANY other factors come into play as well.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,534,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'd like to make up some of my own definitions, for fun.
Maybe some of you will have a laugh.

No winter = Only a handfull of mornings are normally below 45 F, average lows above 55 F;

-south Florida and tropics

Minimal Winter = Only a handfull of mornings are normally below 32 F, average lows 40 F or higher;

-the rest of Florida, Gulf coastal areas, parts of southen Georgia, parts of coastal SC, southern California, AZ

Mild Winter = Only a handfull of mornings normally below 24 F, average lows above 28 F;

-most of the southeast, parts of interior California, Arizona, Las Vegas, the rest of the Pacific coast

Moderate Winter = Only a handfull of mornings normally below 15 F, more than half of winter days stay above freezing, average lows below 28 F;

-middle/upper South, Albuquerque NM etc.

Harsh Winter = Only a handfull of mornings normally below 5 F, more than half of all winter afternoons can still be below freezing, average lows between 10-20 F;

-most of the northeast, the mildest parts of southern Ontario, Oil City PA

Severe Winter = Anything colder than that.
This is more accurate than the original post!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:26 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I have to agree with you,this is also what I consider a mild winter.
I agree with that completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather