Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 06:53 PM

2,846 posts, read 1,453,009 times

Advertisements

Honestly I lack the knowledge on climate-related ecosystems to give you an appropriate response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 01:21 AM

28 posts, read 14,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I didn't actually say Augusta was closer to Philadelphia than Florida. I said that dividing Cfa in half leaves Augusta stuck with Philadelphia. Not ideal perhaps but certainly a better outcome than grouping Philadelphia with Tampa.

El Nino Snow Over Augusta Georgia - panoramio
Helen Reid, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Uh, these are much more honest photos of Augusta's vegetation than a close up of some snowy deciduous branches and your cherry-picked river photo:

The native forest of northern Georgia and the upland south (up to the Ohio river and parts of southern Pennsylvania and coastal New England) looks distinct, and different from the forests you see in Canada:

This is what Augusta looks like under notable winter snowfall:

Notice anything about these pics?

Sure, there are deciduous trees in Georgia - plenty of them - but it's incredibly dishonest to cherry-pick those photos, suggest that there's nothing natively subtropical about a clearly subtropical place like Augusta, let alone any subtropical ornamentals, and also suggest that the region is somehow unique in the world for this. Jiangxi province, or Hunan, in southern China, both look every bit like Georgia does in the winter.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llunge View Post
Uh, these are much more honest photos of Augusta's vegetation than a close up of some snowy deciduous branches and your cherry-picked river photo:

The native forest of northern Georgia and the upland south (up to the Ohio river and parts of southern Pennsylvania and coastal New England) looks distinct, and different from the forests you see in Canada:

This is what Augusta looks like under notable winter snowfall:

Notice anything about these pics?

Sure, there are deciduous trees in Georgia - plenty of them - but it's incredibly dishonest to cherry-pick those photos, suggest that there's nothing natively subtropical about a clearly subtropical place like Augusta, let alone any subtropical ornamentals, and also suggest that the region is somehow unique in the world for this. Jiangxi province, or Hunan, in southern China, both look every bit like Georgia does in the winter.
I could not possibly agree more. Even with my nonexistent vegetation knowledge, it's very obvious there's nothing but bare deciduous tree picture cherry picking, even after it's disproven with non cherry picked evergreen photos.
If Emman85 sees this, he is the member to ask. He's dealt with Ed and many users doing this a LOT of times, especially as far as places like Augusta and the inland south are concerned.

Also, the only reason it's easy to find so many snow photos of Augusta are because a lot of pictures are taken when it happens once every 4-5 years, not because it snows several times a year. This is something these clown climatologists fail to grasp, even when spoon fed that fact by Augustan Emman.

Edit: It's not Georgia, but if you want a really funny example of the insistence on deciduous even when proven wrong with photos, there's this: https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...derdale-3.html
Apparently, according to the logic of the clown climatologists, these Shreveport, Louisiana photos have 'loads of bare deciduous trees' instead of mostly being evergreen.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 10-28-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-28-2022, 10:17 AM

1,443 posts, read 2,551,228 times
Quote:
Come on Joe, this is a weather forum, not TikTok. We use actual weather terminology here. Tropical system has a very specific meaning and it does not include atmospheric rivers, fronts, or mid-latitude cyclones. All of those are extra-tropical.
So are the year round westerly prevailing winds

But hey...avocados = unequivocal subtropical enviroment

Old 10-28-2022, 10:18 AM

5,753 posts, read 3,557,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post

Edit: It's not Georgia, but if you want a really funny example of the insistence on deciduous even when proven wrong with photos, there's this: https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...derdale-3.html
Apparently, according to the logic of these clown climatologists, these Shreveport, Louisiana photos have 'loads of bare deciduous trees' instead of mostly being evergreen.

I guess you didn't realize that charget is Llunge and that they're both just reincarnations of the never-ending cold epoch account that keeps coming back each time after their banned. IOW, the cherry-picking you're complaining about is coming from your side of the floor!

Old 10-28-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I guess you didn't realize that charget is Llunge and that they're both just reincarnations of the never-ending cold epoch account that keeps coming back each time after their banned. IOW, the cherry-picking you're complaining about is coming from your side of the floor!
Can't pass any judgement on that, sorry. I'm not the one with access to the IP addresses.
Not saying you're wrong, but that kind of thing is out of my league and not my position.

What do you mean cherry picking coming from my side of the floor? I don't really have a side in the evergreen/deciduous thing, I just watch the members like Emman who do.
Given that they actually live in the places in question, I take their word for it over anyone else's. Is what you're trying to say that they're cherry picking?

Edit: The cold epoch is real, by the way. It's another way of saying that the current time period consists of the polar vortex being abnormally weak and giving the Southern US colder weather than it does when it is as strong as it should be, which you (as with most members) are certainly familiar with.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 10-28-2022 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-28-2022, 10:27 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,791,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
So are the year round westerly prevailing winds

But hey...avocados = unequivocal subtropical enviroment
Good point - you understand that a subtropical environment is independent of classification.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:37 AM

5,753 posts, read 3,557,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post

What do you mean cherry picking coming from my side of the floor?

I just don't see how posting photos of bare trees frozen solid in the snow furthers the argument that the US South has a superior subtropical climate.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:39 AM

1,443 posts, read 2,551,228 times
Quote:
I just don't see how posting photos of bare trees frozen solid in the snow furthers the argument that the US South has a superior subtropical climate.
It's just the cold epoch, the US South is actually a subtropical paradise

Old 10-28-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I was never arguing that it had a superior subtropical climate. My contention was that despite the very obvious large number of evergreens in those pictures, there are claims made otherwise about them being loads of deciduous that have no basis.

Though, if you must know, I find the US South has a somewhat superior subtropical climate during the present cold epoch for my tastes. For a 4 seasons fan such as myself, strong cold snaps that give the area humid continental winter weather for a day or 2 are a great change of pace from boring, mild to warm/hot winter weather.

I still don't like the averages, maximums, and not-that-uncommon superheated winters though.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 10-28-2022 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather