Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,486,745 times

Advertisements

The contiguous United States is obviously one of the most varied countries climate-wise. Hot, cold, wet, dry, sunny, gloomy, whatever you want. But no matter what - it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid relative humidity less than 30%. Not in Miami, not in New Orleans, not in Houston. I'm all for some variety but very low humidity makes me feel short of breath and is uncomfortable for skin & eyes. People talk about the deep south as humid year round, but looking at real data I'm shocked that it can get even drier than where I live now! It seems that's the price to pay for being warm outside of summer. Is this the nature of fronts and contrasting air masses? Can there be a reliably humid climate with seasonal variation, not equatorial?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:02 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,477,747 times
So are you looking for a place that consistently has dew points that are moderately high but not too high (like 60-70F)? Or maybe you care less about dew point and more about RH only?

You might try Key West. The RH almost never drops below 40%. Maybe only 1-2 days per year. It has some "variation," I guess.
https://weatherspark.com/history/302...-United-States

Actually, I can't really understand what you're looking for. On the one hand you say that you want dew points and RH to be as high as possible, and on the other hand I've seen you say that you need AC (which dries the air) whenever the indoor temp exceeds 25C. just wondering

Old 03-10-2015, 04:42 AM

7,499 posts, read 6,326,004 times
I should move to the eastern US then

Where I live RH below 30% is almost impossible. I personaly have breathing problems when RH is above 80% and I won't mention the constant stickiness and sweating (not very nice in cold weather), especially when you ride a bike

Old 03-10-2015, 06:43 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,974,292 times
I live in an area where 30% RH is pretty common. It is infact humid weather in which I struggle with breathing/doing things without sweating bucketloads. It all depends what you're used to I guess?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:44 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,671,966 times
30% = haze. Infact below 50% in afternoon (equates <22C dewpoint) for days can lead to wildfire haze here.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
So are you looking for a place that consistently has dew points that are moderately high but not too high (like 60-70F)? Or maybe you care less about dew point and more about RH only?

You might try Key West. The RH almost never drops below 40%. Maybe only 1-2 days per year. It has some "variation," I guess.
https://weatherspark.com/history/302...-United-States
I enjoy dewpoints up to 80F. Summer is great at the Gulf Coast, and in Florida. I'm mostly referring to dewpoint depression, the difference between DP and actual temperature. Outside of summer it's not uncommon to see, for example, 72F with a dewpoint of 37F, which is surprising for a place surrounded by water. For some reason I was under the impression low humidity didn't happen there.

Key West is definitely the most consistently humid place in the country outside of Hawaii, but warmer than I like. So it seems like seasonal variation goes hand-in-hand with periods of dryness.

Quote:
Actually, I can't really understand what you're looking for. On the one hand you say that you want dew points and RH to be as high as possible, and on the other hand I've seen you say that you need AC (which dries the air) whenever the indoor temp exceeds 25C. just wondering
Never really noticed it inside. Discomfort comes largely from the overbearing quality of the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Where I live RH below 30% is almost impossible.
Yet it happens many times every year in swampland at 30N and below...

Old 03-10-2015, 06:09 PM

633 posts, read 665,870 times
yea very low relative humidity sucks. U.S. cold fronts are a killer and affect every place east of the rocky mountains, even Key West (though it is much rarer). what bothers me more about a cold front than the temperatures is the incredibly low humidity, which causes your skin to dry out very badly if you have sensitive skin... i remember one of the cold fronts that passed by my area in february caused the air to be so dry that frost never formed. (which saved my palms from destruction ) ...even though it was below 32°F for 8 hours reaching a minimum of around 27°F.

to answer the OP's question, its the continental influence. Asia has the same problem we do but western Europe tends to stay pretty moist even in the winter (I'm thinking Paris, France for good seasonal variation). I don't know the exact figures but the gulf stream goes a long way in keeping western Europe more humid and mild.

thats right Euros, you can thank Florida for your nice weather

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 03-10-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 03:42 AM

As a euro, I' rather have dryer days in winter than 97% humidity in 2c weather; which is probably the worst and coldest-feeling weather. Give me dry cold air instead of that crap.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
As a euro, I' rather have dryer days in winter than 97% humidity in 2c weather; which is probably the worst and coldest-feeling weather. Give me dry cold air instead of that crap.
I agree 97% might get annoying in cold weather. But when it's 15C or higher, at least moderate humidity is essential.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:21 PM

yeah, I guess even humidity lovers would agree that 97% is far from moderate. 50-70% RH is fine for me.

I just remember finding Toronto's winter surprisingly "mild" when I lived there because of the dry air (that is, when it wasn't during a blizzard or a very cold air mass with -25c, in that case I agree it was super cold). All my life I had seen weather forecasts for Canada or northern US where they would have these ridiculously low temperatures in winter that we never got (or very occasionaly, and not for long), and once I lived there I was surprised that our winters were not that much warmer and nicer in terms of feeling. I realized the power of humidity.

Actually, I had a friend from Québec who lived in France and would complain about feeling cold in a 8c sunny day in february because it felt it was humid whereas we would consider it a dry day by our standards. It probably was around 70% in terms of RH. Canadians (outside of BC I guess) are not accustomed to humid cold and usually feel as cold as we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather