Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,344,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Denver, Colorado. Spring to Winter in 2.5 hrs.

64°F to 30°F 9:25am to 11:53am.. Now that's an Arctic front.

St Cloud, Minnesota. Not just a scene like this there. Areas of South Dakota and Wisconsin looking like this as well
I can verify... the Arctic Invasion was successful in Denver, unfortunately.

The next 2 days would be far below average even for January, let alone November. The last two days I was wearing shorts, mowed the lawn, and wore sunblock. Now I'm scrambling for a parka and my warmest gloves We're going to have record low high temps the next 3 days, possibly more than 40 degrees below average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Indeed. That sure seems like a pretty extreme temperature swing, even for Denver!
I've lived in Denver for 9 years and have never seen such an extreme swing. Nor have I seen Arctic air come in so early in the season.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:05 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,485,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've lived in Denver for 9 years and have never seen such an extreme swing. Nor have I seen Arctic air come in so early in the season.
Indeed. I'm quite jealous of your weather forecast.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Indeed. I'm quite jealous of your weather forecast.
Well, you can HAVE IT! lol! I HATE cold and snow As soon as my kids are done with high school, we're heading back to Southern California

Old 11-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Well, you can HAVE IT! lol! I HATE cold and snow As soon as my kids are done with high school, we're heading back to Southern California
If only I could have it. I can see myself moving to the Northwest (but not the coast), or Northern New England. Or the Upper Midwest. Or anywhere that gets more snow and cold weather than NJ.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
If only I could have it. I can see myself moving to the Northwest (but not the coast), or Northern New England. Or the Upper Midwest. Or anywhere that gets more snow and cold weather than NJ.
People who truly love snow are disappointed by Denver. There is rarely snow on the ground for very long. Winter is typically dry and snows are typically in the dusting to 3" range, and then the strong sun and warm temperatures melts it fast. Our coldest average high temps are 43, so we don't typically have multiple days where the high temperature is below freezing. The weather in Denver for the next 3 days would be unusually cold for January, so insane for early November.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:22 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,782,694 times
Quote:
Front blasts through Kansas ... temps range from 30°F to 80°F this afternoon at 4 PM CST.
At midnight, 10° to 40°

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/...908288/photo/1

Old 11-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
People who truly love snow are disappointed by Denver. There is rarely snow on the ground for very long. Winter is typically dry and snows are typically in the dusting to 3" range, and then the strong sun and warm temperatures melts it fast. Our coldest average high temps are 43, so we don't typically have multiple days where the high temperature is below freezing. The weather in Denver for the next 3 days would be unusually cold for January, so insane for early November.
I'm aware of that. What I do like about Denver is the length of the snowy season. You have can snow more easily in October, November, and even April and May. The large standard deviation at least allows for a lot of cold weather, too, even if the averages don't really reflect that. Snow melting too fast is unfortunately something I'm used to here in NJ. You guys get at least 50 inches of snow per year on average. Our average is about half that. Some winters (like last one) we can get almost 70 inches, though. Still, I hate the sometimes mild winters. At least we get big blizzards sometimes. I do love those. But I can't ignore the negatives. I don't think Denver's the best place in this country for snow by any means, but I'd say it's better than here.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,988,322 times
My location is also supposed to get in on the colder than normal temps. The temperature change looks drastic from Wednesday to Thursday. However, we'll be one of the warmest places in the country as this comes through. Even on the coldest day (Friday) 85% of the country will be warmer than us.

While I doubt we'll get snow this time, if this pattern continues to January, we will.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:35 PM

954 posts, read 1,556,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I read somewhere November 28, 1958 they had a minimum of -5°F to a max of 50°F. 55 degree swing.

Ironically this day November 10 in 1958 they had a max of 76°F to 33° the next morning.

Denver is now at 24 & snowing. FREEFALLING. 64 to 24 in 3.5 hrs.
IEM :: Observation History
I lived in Denver in the mid 90s and one Sunday afternoon in September (football season) I was watching
an NFL game on TV from Mile High and it was 92 degrees, and Monday morning when we were driving to work it was snowing ! That's one of the reasons I love Denver, maybe the most dynamic climate in the country in terms of sheer dramatic changes in temp and precip in such a relatively brief time interval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather