Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,725,854 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd get an early jump to spring here. We are already starting to have a few flowers poke their heads above the soil. This thread is for all spring related pics...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:40 PM

I'm really surprised there is nobody wanting to discuss or post photos of spring like scenes in places like California, Western europe or the Southern US where certainly plants would be blooming

Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,189,039 times
Hi deneb78, this winter in Rimini there are many flowers thanks to long lasting mild weather.
Typical winter flowers like calicanthus, pansies, cyclamens and iberis obviously have many flowers (as every winter).
Roses and rosemary plants are flowering non-stop since last spring, literally.
Some early spring flowering plants, like daisies, iris, winter jasmines and many others are in full bloom since early January.
Acacia dealbata and almonds will bloom soon (the first picture is acacia dealbata, the fourth one is an almond tree with flowers and leaves).
Tell me if you like our winter flowers!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,715,853 times
Good photos. How much earlier than usual is the flowering? Is it warm enough for any insect activity?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:11 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,189,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Good photos. How much earlier than usual is the flowering? Is it warm enough for any insect activity?
If you are replying to me, thank you. Actually my photos are quite bad this time because there was a poor light that day
Some plants are flowering in their normal period (iberis, calicanthus, pansies, cyclamens), other ones about 1 month earlier than normal (acacia dealbata, almond), other ones 2 months (daisies, iris). Other ones are very strange flowering (never heard of rosemary and gazanias flowering in January!), btw in mid December there were still portulaca grandiflora and ice plants flowers!
It's not a rarity though, generally in the 90s and 00s those early blooming were quite common, but that not happened in the last cold winters from 2009 to 2013.
There are some insects too, but not many (one day in early January I found a grasshopper near my plants!)

Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'm really surprised there is nobody wanting to discuss or post photos of spring like scenes in places like California, Western europe or the Southern US where certainly plants would be blooming
Well considering we're about to have the coldest week I can remember in years, this thread just seems out of place and a bit of tease. Nothing to contribute, though it'll give me somehting to look forward to.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,715,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
If you are replying to me, thank you. Actually my photos are quite bad this time because there was a poor light that day
Some plants are flowering in their normal period (iberis, calicanthus, pansies, cyclamens), other ones about 1 month earlier than normal (acacia dealbata, almond), other ones 2 months (daisies, iris). Other ones are very strange flowering (never heard of rosemary and gazanias flowering in January!), btw in mid December there were still portulaca grandiflora and ice plants flowers!
It's not a rarity though, generally in the 90s and 00s those early blooming were quite common, but that not happened in the last cold winters from 2009 to 2013.
There are some insects too, but not many (one day in early January I found a grasshopper near my plants!)
Yep, I was replying to both, great to see colour in winter. Wintering flowering plants certainly make winter more enjoyable. Your part of the world and here share some climatic similarity in that regard.

Acacia dealbata as well as deciduous Magnolia and Rhododendrons are the main harbingers of spring here, although in mild winters, will flower before the shortest day.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Photo Thread 2014-gedc0058.jpg   Spring Photo Thread 2014-gedc0202.jpg   Spring Photo Thread 2014-gedc0224.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 01-21-2014 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
Some flowers growing here - will get some pics later today.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Hi deneb78, this winter in Rimini there are many flowers thanks to long lasting mild weather.
Typical winter flowers like calicanthus, pansies, cyclamens and iberis obviously have many flowers (as every winter).
Roses and rosemary plants are flowering non-stop since last spring, literally.
Some early spring flowering plants, like daisies, iris, winter jasmines and many others are in full bloom since early January.
Acacia dealbata and almonds will bloom soon (the first picture is acacia dealbata, the fourth one is an almond tree with flowers and leaves).
Tell me if you like our winter flowers!
Beautiful pics mar89! I think you have a very nice climate in Rimini to be able to grow all those wonderful flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
We don't get much insect activity even in summer, let alone winter. During the height of summer, I never even hear cicadas or crickets so I certainly wouldn't expect them at other times of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well considering we're about to have the coldest week I can remember in years, this thread just seems out of place and a bit of tease. Nothing to contribute, though it'll give me somehting to look forward to.
Yes, I've been reading about the huge storm in the northeast. Different climates have different times for blooming plants. I was not meaning to tease, but just bring some spring colour to the forum Here is another nice picture of a flowerbed I took today.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,529,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I thought I'd get an early jump to spring here. We are already starting to have a few flowers poke their heads above the soil. This thread is for all spring related pics...

I hate Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather