Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,753,221 times

Advertisements

Victoria, BC and San Francisco, CA are both Csb according to Koppen but they are very different from each other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:59 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,943,607 times
Oh my, this is such a pet peeve of mine. Saskatoon is classified as humid continental but so is Chicago. Chicago is so much warmer all year. We need a new climate classification for the zones that have hemiboreal vegetation patterns.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,465,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Oh my, this is such a pet peeve of mine. Saskatoon is classified as humid continental but so is Chicago. Chicago is so much warmer all year. We need a new climate classification for the zones that have hemiboreal vegetation patterns.
Saskatoon is Dfb, Chicago is Dfa.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 PM

607 posts, read 651,632 times
Auckland, NZ and here (both Cfb). Plants grow there that would never survive here- I counted at least 6 different types of Palm tree when I went to Auckland. The average winter lows there are higher than our winter highs, and it almost never sees a frost. To me Auckland is subtropical.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,769,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Florence and Hong Kong (Cfa).
They almost have nothing in common and their natural landscape is totally uncomparable.
Florence is a typical mediterranean city with a few thunderstorms in its dry summer, so according to Koppen, is "humid subtropical".

Proof

Image from caperandco.blogspot.com

Very humid subtropical to me.
The same for part of the inner areas of Toscana, Umbria, Marche, Romagna and the cities of Rimini, Perugia, Pesaro, Pescara etc.
The olive orchard photo could just as easily be a Cfb scene. Olives aren't a good plant to highlight Mediterranean climates, as they quite hardy and don't require much warmth for good cropping.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,814,413 times
Stockholm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - cfb/dfb
Melbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - cfb

i don't want to discus stockholms oceanity all over again, but the fact that a climate like stockholm (take -0.1C from february and there you have it) and melbourne can fall within the same climate classification is just plain absurd. they got nothing in common.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,879,735 times
Then don't call Stockholm oceanic.

Stockholm is hemiboreal humid continental, which will probably have snow on the ground again until mid-March. Common oceanic / warm temperate trees like beech don't even grow in Stockholm. And with a growing season less than 200 days a year, it should be a crime to call such a climate other than subpolar oceanic, which Stockholm isn't either.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,247,380 times
Philadelphia & Houston are both humid subtropical, but Houston's deep winters are more like mid spring or fall in Philly .

Intellicast - Philadelphia Historic Weather Averages in Pennsylvania (19113)

Intellicast - Houston Historic Weather Averages in Texas (77061)

It can get much colder in Philly and below freezing highs occur 15 days a year. Additionally, Philly feels more like a humid continental city in winter and summer. Humid subtropical is south of the NC/VA line in my opinion.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:35 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,649,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Then don't call Stockholm oceanic.

Stockholm is hemiboreal humid continental, which will probably have snow on the ground again until mid-March. Common oceanic / warm temperate trees like beech don't even grow in Stockholm. And with a growing season less than 200 days a year, it should be a crime to call such a climate other than subpolar oceanic, which Stockholm isn't either.
All cold lovers in oceanic climates are enraged by the notion that Stockholm is 'oceanic'.

What I wouldn't give for this right now: http://www.webbkameror.se/webbkameror/gondolen/historik/historik_slussen_4/webcam_history_11.php

Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,480,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Philadelphia & Houston are both humid subtropical, but Houston's deep winters are more like mid spring or fall in Philly .

Intellicast - Philadelphia Historic Weather Averages in Pennsylvania (19113)

Intellicast - Houston Historic Weather Averages in Texas (77061)

It can get much colder in Philly and below freezing highs occur 15 days a year. Additionally, Philly feels more like a humid continental city in winter and summer. Humid subtropical is south of the NC/VA line in my opinion.
How the weather of Philadelphia and Tampa Bay can be classified in the same way totally eludes me. One is my favorite climate on earth, the other an arctic hell for almost half the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather