Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,290 times

Advertisements

Apparently, snow is totally unheard in Farallon Islands, off the coast of San Francisco, Ca.
Remarkable, considering it's at 37.7N, in the Northern Hemisphere, in the USA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,970 times
Barra at 57N, perhaps. Looking at their averages, it probably almost never snows there.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,973,576 times
It has 5 snowy days a year according to this site:

December Climate History for Barra | Local | Western Isles, United Kingdom

Old 05-15-2016, 10:38 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Any others?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Any others?
It depends on what you mean by no snow -whether it's no snow at all ... ever, or snow very rarely.

My area sees snow rarely -less common than either Wellington or Hobart. It got about half an inch in 2011, Last time before that was in 1973, then 1945, and then nothing until the late 1800s. Some areas around here, have no account of snowfall at all.

The area is quite a bit colder than Wellington or Hobart though, and with higher rainfall, but all we really get in Southerlies is dry cold air.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
Bishops rock ,Isles of Scillly at 49 degrees north is the one i have heard about even though snow has fallen on the islands nearby more than once over the decades .

On a greater scale , i'd say the Azores at sea level has never ,ever seen snow . 37'N

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azores

Old 04-29-2017, 09:10 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It depends on what you mean by no snow -whether it's no snow at all ... ever, or snow very rarely.

My area sees snow rarely -less common than either Wellington or Hobart. It got about half an inch in 2011, Last time before that was in 1973, then 1945, and then nothing until the late 1800s. Some areas around here, have no account of snowfall at all.

The area is quite a bit colder than Wellington or Hobart though, and with higher rainfall, but all we really get in Southerlies is dry cold air.
I realise you said this almost two years ago but I didn't read it until now.

That's what I don't get about your oceanic climate: how can the southerlies be dry? Shouldn't they be moist, coming from the Southern Ocean and all?

Old 04-29-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I realise you said this almost two years ago but I didn't read it until now.

That's what I don't get about your oceanic climate: how can the southerlies be dry? Shouldn't they be moist, coming from the Southern Ocean and all?
My area is a southerly rain shadow, as mountains are to the south, west, and east, so apart from the occasional heavy lasting only a few minutes, southerly flows are more typically dry and cold, or dry and hot.

Even in areas exposed to southerly rainfall, the generally colder air means the rainfall is quite light and short lived. Heavy rain in NZ comes from subtropical(ex tropical) systems, or from warm fronts embedded in polar lows.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My area is a southerly rain shadow, as mountains are to the south, west, and east, so apart from the occasional heavy lasting only a few minutes, southerly flows are more typically dry and cold, or dry and hot.

Even in areas exposed to southerly rainfall, the generally colder air means the rainfall is quite light and short lived. Heavy rain in NZ comes from subtropical(ex tropical) systems, or from warm fronts embedded in polar lows.
It just strikes me as odd. Certainly I cannot think of other oceanic climates in a rain shadow; the shadow usually transmogrifies them.

What's the closest weather station representative of your climate? If I could look at the topography I might be able to understand it a bit more.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
It just strikes me as odd. Certainly I cannot think of other oceanic climates in a rain shadow; the shadow usually transmogrifies them.

What's the closest weather station representative of your climate? If I could look at the topography I might be able to understand it a bit more.

Much of the UK is in a rain shadow.

Their is a big rain shadow effect here from mountains south, east and west, where rainfall reaches up to 5000mm, but this area gets most of it's rain from a NE/N/NW direction, so doesn't have the semi arid look of other rain shadows regions in NZ.

Nelson is the closest official station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather