Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country has a larger subtropical zone?
United States 19 26.76%
China 52 73.24%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,382,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Shanghai winters are more like London's. They are MUCH milder than winters in DC. The eastern US doesn't have winter means matching London until you get down to North Carolina.

I think Shanghai winters are too cold to be subtropical, personally. Shenzhen and Hong Kong are true subtropical climates.

I’ve done a bit of traveling – and just to be fair…your way off – winters in Shanghai are “nothing” like they are in London; Winters in London are very overcast, wet, cool, little sun, and often stormy….winters in Shanghai are quite sunny, dryish, periodically warm, and fairly stable (winter anticyclone/few storms).

In terms of the eastern USA…what you say is also a bit misleading as well; While winters mean temps match London one you reach Virginia Beach, Virginia (not North Carolina)…this is only because overnight lows are closer to daytime highs in London (January high/low is 46/36 F). In terms of average daily high temps however… places in Virginia or even southern Maryland actually have warmer daytime highs than London: For example both Richmond, Virginia and Salisbury, Maryland have warmer daytime highs than London in Dec –Feb. The same higher sunshine, less cloudy/stormy weather would be found in places like Virginia and southern Maryland compared to the UK in winter. Winters are much nicer in Virginia than anywhere in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Climate

Richmond, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salisbury, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do agree that locations like Shanghai is a bit too cool to be considered “subtropical” - though they are located on the edge of the subtropical/temperate zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,625,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I’ve done a bit of traveling – and just to be fair…your way off – winters in Shanghai are “nothing” like they are in London; Winters in London are very overcast, wet, cool, little sun, and often stormy….winters in Shanghai are quite sunny, dryish, periodically warm, and fairly stable (winter anticyclone/few storms).

Salisbury, Maryland have warmer daytime highs than London in Dec –Feb.
Shanghai's winter temperatures are similar to London's (warmer in Dec and cooler in Jan and Feb). London's winters are also not very stormy at all. October-November are stormy, but winter is calm (the highest average air pressure is in Jan-Feb). In February Shanghai isn't that much sunnier than London, looking at percentages. Then London is sunnier in spring and summer. I thought it was impossible for oceanic climates to be sunny, and have sunnier months than 'subtropical' ones?

Salisbury has colder January highs than London.

Mean temperatures are still temperature averages, are they not? Ultimately, London is still warmer than Raleigh in Dec-Jan. I'd rather have a London winter than a Virginia one. Virginia winters get too cold.

Last edited by B87; 10-08-2013 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 AM

13,507 posts, read 9,061,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
).

For example both Richmond, Virginia and Salisbury, Maryland have warmer daytime highs than London in Dec –Feb. The same higher sunshine, less cloudy/stormy weather would be found in places like Virginia and southern Maryland compared to the UK in winter. Winters are much nicer in Virginia than anywhere in the UK.
That's just your own personal opinion though, it may be sunnier in Virginia, but daytime high temperatures are not that different to here in Portsmouth, but it the minimums are much colder. I'd rather have a Portsmouth winter than a Virginia winter on that basis

Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,367,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
That's just your own personal opinion though, it may be sunnier in Virginia, but daytime high temperatures are not that different to here in Portsmouth, but it the minimums are much colder. I'd rather have a Portsmouth winter than a Virginia winter on that basis
But when you consider Virginia's stronger and more abundant sunshine, which makes it feel even warmer, it'd be hard to choose against it, for me at least. And I don't mind that Virginia's nights are slightly cooler, I'm outside during the day.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM
B87

They aren't really 'slightly cooler' though. A 5-7C difference is pretty big.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
They aren't really 'slightly cooler' though. A 5-7C difference is pretty big.
Norfolk's average winter minimum is only 3.6C cooler than Portsmouth's though, which is noticeable, but hardly "much colder".

Old 10-08-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
But when you consider Virginia's stronger and more abundant sunshine, which makes it feel even warmer, it'd be hard to choose against it, for me at least. And I don't mind that Virginia's nights are slightly cooler, I'm outside during the day.
Virginia's night are considerably cooler than here, the average low in Richmond in January is -2.1C, in Portsmouth it is 5.1C, that is several degrees colder. Also the record low in Richmond is -24C, Portsmouth is -8C... I would still much rather have the Portsmouth climate...

Old 10-08-2013, 09:07 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Norfolk's average winter minimum is only 3.6C cooler than Portsmouth's though, which is noticeable, but hardly "much colder".
I was comparing it to Richmond.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Virginia's night are considerably cooler than here, the average low in Richmond in January is -2.1C, in Portsmouth it is 5.1C, that is several degrees colder. Also the record low in Richmond is -24C, Portsmouth is -8C... I would still much rather have the Portsmouth climate...
Richmond is pretty far inland, and about 100 miles or so from the Atlantic. I think Virginia Beach would be the best comparison due to its coastal location, however it has no averages of its own, but Norfolk/Portsmouth is the next best thing I guess.

Quote:
I was comparing it to Richmond.
I had Portsmouth (VA) in mind, because like Portsmouth (UK), it's also coastal and they feature very similar average highs in the winter. Norfolk neighbors Portsmouth (VA).

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM

In terms of averages a few degrees is a big deal too, if London's average summer highs were a few degrees higher people would consider the summers to be fairly hot, as opposed to 'cool' as many think they are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather