Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes it is. Tundra starts in North America at 55°N roughly. In Russia, it starts at 60°N
True, 55N around shores of Hudson Bay, however the "tree line" varies quite a bit,
both in Canada and Russia, so starting at 55N or 60N is a very rough generalization at best.

Heading west away from Hudson Bay the tree line advances steadily north due to the warmer SUMMER temps.
The MacKenzie River Valley in Canada's NWT features some of the warmest summer conditions in
northern Canada, average july highs above 20c (low to mid 70sF) almost as warm at northern Russia.
Likewise for lower elevation valley areas of the Yukon, even northern Yukon, like Old Crow.
Tree line reaches as far north as 68N in the MacKenzie Delta.

Reason why Russian "tree line" is on average farther north than in Canada is due to warmer summers,
not the winters, Russian Siberian winters are COLDER, hopefully no arguments on that

Last edited by BMI; 09-01-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Then why are trees growing in Vadso, on the northern coast of Norway?

I'm not sure what that map is denoting, but it isn't the tree line.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Bardufoss in Norway has plenty of trees, and that's above 69N. I'm sure there are trees even further North though too.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Then why are trees growing in Vadso, on the northern coast of Norway?

I'm not sure what that map is denoting, but it isn't the tree line.
Well theunblabla was trying to say that the treeline in north america is lower when it actually isn't.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well theunblabla was trying to say that the treeline in north america is lower when it actually isn't.
Source? You really need to back up your claims. It's rather easy on the internet.

Tree line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the same map you posted. Dark green is the treeline.

Tree line in the Arctic | GRID-Arendal - Maps & Graphics library

Old 09-01-2013, 10:50 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
I'm not so sure inland Russia is colder than Canada. Omsk has average Jan temps of 10/-5F, and Winnipeg in Canada has avg Jan temps of 9/-9F? It is not elevation as they are very close in altitude. And Winnipeg is five degrees lower in latitude. Omsk if around 1700 miles from the Baltic, and Winnipeg is around 1300 from the Pacific.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
The coldest parts of Russia are colder than the coldest parts of Canada, but even in central Asia, Russian cities do not appear to be spectacularly cold for their latitude and inland location. Omsk and Novosibirsk are similar to Winnipeg. With that being said, Winnipeg just appears to be very cold in winter given its latitude. I think it's fair to say that places like southern Manitoba are too cold in winter for their latitude, rather than places like Omsk being too mild. I wonder if Omsk would be much colder if there was Rockies-like mountain range to the west of it (the Urals are quite low). Something interesting to ponder.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:58 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
I'd love to visit the polar tundra of Northern Ireland

Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The coldest parts of Russia are colder than the coldest parts of Canada, but even in central Asia, Russian cities do not appear to be spectacularly cold for their latitude and inland location. Omsk and Novosibirsk are similar to Winnipeg. With that being said, Winnipeg just appears to be very cold in winter given its latitude. I think it's fair to say that places like southern Manitoba are too cold in winter for their latitude, rather than places like Omsk being too mild. I wonder if Omsk would be much colder if there was Rockies-like mountain range to the west of it (the Urals are quite low). Something interesting to ponder.
In Asia they are east-west as you well know. I think it would be different. That is not the only article I ever came across that mentions the Rockies and the buckles in the Jetstream. I think averages might not change much here, but I do believe record lows would go way up. And I think winter would be a lot more stable here with lower std deviation. A flat Jetstream doesn't make Philly like LA, but more like London.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:18 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm not so sure inland Russia is colder than Canada. Omsk has average Jan temps of 10/-5F, and Winnipeg in Canada has avg Jan temps of 9/-9F? It is not elevation as they are very close in altitude. And Winnipeg is five degrees lower in latitude. Omsk if around 1700 miles from the Baltic, and Winnipeg is around 1300 from the Pacific.
Hey Tom, show me a place in Canada as cold in the winter as Yakutsk, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather