Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 18,644 times

Advertisements

As I type this it's late October in central NY and it's 71 degrees outside at 1 in the morning, with a ridiculous dewpoint of 64. I've absolutely had it with the oppressive summers, winters dumping 15 feet of snow, and the 2 week long fall seasons.

I don't even care if it's in the US - I need to find a place that has crisp 50's for as many months out of the year as possible. I would rather err on the side of cold than hot, because I prefer low-mid 50's and get cranky with anything 70 or higher. I'm ok with low winter temperatures, but I'm sick of the constant snowfall (and driving in it) that we get in Central NY. I could care less about sunny/overcast, I just want to have a fall season for more than a couple weeks.

I've looked at places like Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran, and even some out-there ones like Bergen, Norway - but I'm looking for some other suggestions as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
I hear ya on the hot days.. I just moved from South Fla to NH.. talk about opressive summers. Last year for Christmas it was 83 degrees. Just yesterday with heat index it was 97... and its almost NOV.. Feel grateful that its only 70 in NY.. There were nights where it didn't get out of the 90's there, with 100% humidity. Seattle sounds like a good choice.. I prefer rainy overcast COLD days to anything , they'e my fave.. Its thrilling to see your breath when you go outside and run back in the house to grab a pair of warm fleece gloves for good measure... AHHH makes me soo happy inside!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Jester, I really don't know of a place that has cooler temps, but not much snow. Have you ever checked out states like Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming? You'll end up with a lot of snow, but you won't generally have oppressively hot temps. If you would decide on an area near the mountains of Montana or Wyoming, your dew point and humidity level would be very low. You'd end up with a lot more snow then 15 inches a year though~more like 15 inches per snowfall.

Funny how people are different, you're just the opposite of me.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Jester, you sound a little like me.

I'm from the Chicago area and am also sick of these warm temperatures and high humidities. I'm actively looking in North Dakota for some land (10 acres or more) to build a house on and move to. I've been watching the weather every day in Williston and like what I see. Not only do I observe the temperature, but the humidity and dew point. From my observations, the humidity even up in North Dakota can vary considerably from east to west. The western part of the state has lower humidity. With low humidity, you tend to get wider swings in temperature throughout the day.

I like heavy snow when I don't have to go somewhere. I'll be looking at telecommuting to my job in Chicago from North Dakota and my employer is OK with it.

Unfortunately, this whole process is taking a lot of time and I don't think I'll be able to establish myself for almost 2 years. I just have too much infrastructure in my life to move quickly.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Drifter is right. The eastern part of the Dakotas does get humidity and higher dew points. The western side has a semi-arid climate.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 18,644 times
Yeah, I'd be willing to deal with snow if it meant getting rid of hot temperatures. I personally like driving in snow, but the other drivers make me pretty nervous.

North Dakota seems kind of out there, but I'll check it out. For some reason I thought the plains areas all the way up into Canada had pretty hot summers.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:56 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherousjester View Post
For some reason I thought the plains areas all the way up into Canada had pretty hot summers.
Many areas of the Plains do have extremely hot summers. The temperature in North Dakota has been as high as 121 degrees. That's just one degree shy of the all-time record in Phoenix.

On the flip side, those same areas that can, and often do, break 100 degrees each summer drop WELL below zero during the winter.

If you like variablity the Dakotas are definitely the place to go.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:59 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherousjester View Post
As I type this it's late October in central NY and it's 71 degrees outside at 1 in the morning, with a ridiculous dewpoint of 64. I've absolutely had it with the oppressive summers, winters dumping 15 feet of snow, and the 2 week long fall seasons.

I don't even care if it's in the US - I need to find a place that has crisp 50's for as many months out of the year as possible. I would rather err on the side of cold than hot, because I prefer low-mid 50's and get cranky with anything 70 or higher. I'm ok with low winter temperatures, but I'm sick of the constant snowfall (and driving in it) that we get in Central NY. I could care less about sunny/overcast, I just want to have a fall season for more than a couple weeks.

I've looked at places like Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran, and even some out-there ones like Bergen, Norway - but I'm looking for some other suggestions as well.
Reno, Nevada would fit that bill. Not too much snow at all, lots and lots of 50 degree temps, even in the summer time (at night). Low humidity, and the summers are never oppressively hot. It usually gets up to about 90 in the day but with the low humidity you hardly even feel it. Then, at night in the summer it usually dips down into the 50s. Really nice weather. And, if you do want snow, you can just drive up into the mountains; Lake Tahoe and all kinds of ski resorts are a 20 minute drive away. Fall is usually from mid September into late October.

Here's the forecast for Reno, NV for the next five days:

Saturday: 55/28
Sunday: 58/30
Monday: 66/32
Tuesday: 70/37
Wednesday: 72.38

Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
This idea is way out there...cost is more for living but not as much as the state overall..CA, but in the mountains like Big Bear Lake. You get all four seasons and some snow but nothing like all these other places. Maybe 6" to a foot here and there but it doesn't last that long. The air is cool and crisp the majority of the year. Even in summer it is very cool at night. I loved it there for 18 years. My sister still lives there and calls it Gods country. You can't beat the weather. And if you feel like getting warmer it's only a short drive off the mountain to warmer climates--actually hot in the summer down the hill. I hate the heat so rarely ever went down in the summer. The summer temps in Big Bear run in the 80's but 50's at night. It is 6,500 ft. elevation. But it is CA and the prices are more then most other places. To be honest the prices in Big Bear seem to be more reasonable then most of the state of CA.. Finding a job could be difficult up there. Just another idea!!

Old 10-20-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Many areas of the Plains do have extremely hot summers. The temperature in North Dakota has been as high as 121 degrees. That's just one degree shy of the all-time record in Phoenix.

On the flip side, those same areas that can, and often do, break 100 degrees each summer drop WELL below zero during the winter.

If you like variablity the Dakotas are definitely the place to go.
You're right~we do get some pretty hot summer days. It's not a continuous heat though like a lot of areas of the country. We may have three or four days that hit over 100 and then we're back to 90 again. Our summers are short though. Not sure about Minn. or Mont.~I don't think they have as high of summer temps as we do in the Dakotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather