Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times

Advertisements

What would the climate of Antarctica be if you spun Antarctica around so the Antarctic peninsula was at 70°E longitude and then shifted it North 20 degrees latitude so the Esperanza base was at 43°S. What would the climate of the continent be like? Would it be habitable? How would it affect ocean currents and climates of other continents if the other continents stayed where they are?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
What would you do with South America?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,561,148 times
Do you mean 70W? 70E isn't a very big change from what it is now.

Good question either way though. I would expect an insane amount of snowfall at higher elevations, especially if it is 70W.

With no substantial landmass at the south pole, I wonder how cold the winters of Australia and this repositioned Antarctica would be and also what the sea ice at the south pole would be like.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Do you mean 70W? 70E isn't a very big change from what it is now.

Good question either way though. I would expect an insane amount of snowfall at higher elevations, especially if it is 70W.

With no substantial landmass at the south pole, I wonder how cold the winters of Australia and this repositioned Antarctica would be and also what the sea ice at the south pole would be like.
It would basically be a big change for the location of the Antarctic peninsula. The peninsula would basically be at the same longitude as the Kerguelen Islands with the continent shifted north. I'm interested to know what the climate stats would be like at somewhere like Esperanza base (43S) in this scenario - Christchurch, NZ but with more cold snaps in winter?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,590,602 times
From having a quick look on Google Earth virtual globe it seems that a newly positioned Antarctica with the tip of the Antarctic Peninsula at 43S would then at it's most extreme southerly point still sit somewhere near or over the South Pole as I think Antarctica's current latitudinal span at it's greatest point is around 50 degrees of latitude. It looks like it would still comfortably remain a separate continental landmass situated between Madagascar and Australia but to the south of these.

I'd say at least the northern tip of Antarctic Peninsula would be habitable year-round though probably like Reykyavik perhaps a little warmer in summer but cooler than Christchurch. It's oceanic location would protect it somewhat from polar outbreaks and it would remain ice free, perhaps the entire peninsula down to Marie Byrd Land would at least be seasonally free of ice though would still be subject to extreme polar outbreaks making it uninhabitable still. I think there might be less sea ice coverage over the Antarctic as a whole because of the relatively low latitude location of the peninsula, which would lead to less albedo and it could possibly raise global temperatures as a result. The Indian Ocean would probably be a lot cooler as well so lands bordering here and SE Asia might become a lot cooler and drier. Then there is also the issue of how it would affect the roaring forties, general circulation patterns and ocean currents.

All a bit of a stab in the dark I know, but it's interesting to speculate anyway.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM

I wonder if Antarctica under this scenario would be warm enough in summers to actually have tree growth...

Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 AM

^^I'd be fairly confident trees could grow at 43S on the Antarctic peninsula assuming my scenario. Summer maximums averaging around 18C / 65F, winter temperatures rarely dropping below -10C / 15F

Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
^^I'd be fairly confident trees could grow at 43S on the Antarctic peninsula assuming my scenario. Summer maximums averaging around 18C / 65F, winter temperatures rarely dropping below -10C / 15F
So then you think the tip of the peninsula would be more like Invercargill, NZ ?

Invercargill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
So then you think the tip of the peninsula would be more like Invercargill, NZ ?

Invercargill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, fairly similar to Invercargill, probably a little cooler in summer as well as the potential for the odd much colder winter low.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 01-09-2013 at 12:28 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
I'm thinking the whole of Antartica would still be ice covered; the ice would flow to cover the warm regions and get replenished from the south. And the ice would cause a lot of local cooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather