Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:33 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,178 times

Advertisements

The warming goes on and on and on. This is from NOAA.

State of the Climate | Global Analysis | September 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 AM

83,528 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Just a "few" here before these get lost in translation.. Wish I had more time to find more because I'm sure there are more since I havent touched other parts of the "globe"

• The Central England Temperature (CET) of 13.1°C was 1.0 degC below the mean for 1981-2010 - the lowest in September since 1994

• Average minimum temperature was 6.6 °C, 0.5 °C below the historical average and the coolest September since 1994
New South Wales in September 2012

•The average contiguous U.S. temperature during September was 67.0°F, 1.4°F above the 20th century average, tying September 1980 as the 23rd warmest such month on record. (not the warmest, not even in top 20!)

•Alaska had its 46th coolest September since records began in 1918, with a temperature 0.2°F (0.1°C) below the 1971–2000 average.

•Alaska had its 36th coolest July-September since records began in 1918, with a temperature 0.9°F (0.5°C) below the 1971–2000 average.

•Alaska had its 18th coolest January-September since records began in 1918, with a temperature 2.0°F (1.1°C) below the 1971–2000 average.

• Early freezes hit Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa with the most widespread event on the 23rd and 24th. The freeze was weeks ahead of normal with many locations in Iowa recording their earliest freeze since 1983. Early crop maturity helped to limit the damages.

• Alabama, North Carolina, and southern Florida, where monthly temperatures were between 1 and 2 degrees F (0.5 and 1.1 degrees C) below normal

• The Midwest regional temperature was slightly below normal in September, breaking a string of 11 straight months above normal from October 2011 to August 2012. For the first time since January 2011, none of the nine Midwest states had an above normal statewide temperature

State of the Climate | National Overview | September 2012

Looks like only half the country was above normal so the West heat wave contributed to the heat. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/servic...209-201209.gif

Last edited by Cambium; 10-16-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,208,386 times
^ Some cool weather does not change the fact that the monthly global anomaly was tied as the warmest.

Why do you assume that people will come to the conclusion that there was no cool weather in September? If they do, then they certainly don't know how averages work.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 AM

83,528 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Why do you assume that people will come to the conclusion that there was no cool weather in September? If they do, then they certainly don't know how averages work.
Yup. "most" people do not think of averages or understand there was a cold September elsewhere... they see headlines like this one and think OMG its never going to be cool anywhere. So its not ok to spin the warmer side of it only. Why not show where its been cool....like I just did. And I am 100% sure thats not it.

Take the U.S for instance... I'm waiting to hear a title of "Half the U.S was below or at Normal for September" . Nope... we'll never see that headline, and we all know why.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Take the U.S for instance... I'm waiting to hear a title of "Half the U.S was below or at Normal for September" . Nope... we'll never see that headline, and we all know why.
But if most of the U.S. was above normal in September I'm sure we'd be hearing a lot more about it. Too often all people hear about is the warmth, be it global or local, and it's best if they get the whole picture. One eye gives you just one picture, but two eyes gives you depth perception - it works the same way with warm/cool anomalies.

And how come every NOAA article posted here spins the events towards a warming point of view? And how come they continually switch between global and the U.S., depending on which is warmer? I know that the U.S. has had a big warm streak this year, but even last year that's all they could talk about. On another note, NOAA's map gives the impression that the whole of the U.S. was warm when it really wasn't. There was enough room on that global map to highlight or emphasize the western region

On the local front, it should be noted that International Falls experienced its second-coldest September temperature on record, second only to last year. Is it only one day? Yes. Is it local? Yes. Is it notable? Yes, perhaps not on a global scale but definitely on a national scale.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
Here in the UK the month came in 1.0°C below the 1981-2010 average so what a shame we didn't share in this warming eh.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,178 times
Quote:
Yup. "most" people do not think of averages or understand there was a cold September elsewhere... they see headlines like this one and think OMG its never going to be cool anywhere. So its not ok to spin the warmer side of it only. Why not show where its been cool....like I just did. And I am 100% sure thats not it.

On a longer time frame...
It is not just Septermber, especially for the Western U.S. I went back 30 years, year by year. West of the Mississippi, there were 25 years where the temperature was above or much above normal. Of the 5 years that were normal or below, 3 were in the first 5 years of the 30 year period, i.e. in the 1980s. I obviously used the annual avg. temperatures and the source was

NCDC: US Climate at a Glance

Sure, there will be pockets of below normal temperatures, that is expected, but for whatever reason, it is getting warmer and warmer. I think that the large continental areas of the world are significant indicators of what is going down.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 PM

160 posts, read 397,891 times
Quote:
Because it was the 23rd warmest September across the county and that would be a misleading headline? That's what you're getting at, right?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
On a longer time frame...
It is not just Septermber, especially for the Western U.S. I went back 30 years, year by year. West of the Mississippi, there were 25 years where the temperature was above or much above normal. Of the 5 years that were normal or below, 3 were in the first 5 years of the 30 year period, i.e. in the 1980s. I obviously used the annual avg. temperatures and the source was

NCDC: US Climate at a Glance

Sure, there will be pockets of below normal temperatures, that is expected, but for whatever reason, it is getting warmer and warmer. I think that the large continental areas of the world are significant indicators of what is going down.
Just ignore the nonsense spun by cold-times-a-comin'-hopefuls. Global averages seem to be too deep a concept for them.

For the umpteenth time - warming does not imply uniform monotonic increases year on year; nor spatial uniformity at any given time.

Some years ago I had a run-in with a local moon-cycle forecaster - he actually manages to sell almanacs despite his predictions faring considerably worse than randon guessing overall. When his prediction for a decent January rainfall for a particular region failed spectacularly - it was the driest one for 100 years - he tried to deny this simple observation. To justify himself he came up with some new mathematical definitions - it was only the "driest on record" if each year were drier than the one before!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
I don't care since it has no relevance in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather