Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 PM

650 posts, read 1,631,006 times

Advertisements

Which U.S. city/area has the most unique climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM

414 posts, read 798,498 times
Bodie, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has been discussed on here plenty of times as a rare example of a subarctic Mediterranean climate. It's a ghost town now though, shame, as it's a good climate, if a little dry for my tastes (but comfortable temps year round make up for it).

Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM

914 posts, read 2,105,070 times
I would nominate those Western alpine climates like Stanley and West Yellowstone that manage to get freezing nights, and colder minimums than Arctic Alaska in the summer, even with the hot tropical day temps they get.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,561,148 times
Cloudcroft, NM

Alma, CO

Mammoth Lakes, CA

Seneca, OR

Probably Brookings, OR too as they can see 80F in January.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,797,011 times
Bodie gets my vote, too. Bizarre place!

That being said, Eureka deserves a mention ( as does the similar Sausalito, for its huge summer lag ). Certainly the climates of northern California on the immediate coast don't seem to have a parallel elsewhere.

Lots of good mentions in this thread, however.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Bodie gets my vote for sure, followed by the Yellowstone region and places like Flagstaff.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Bodie gets my vote, too. Bizarre place!

That being said, Eureka deserves a mention ( as does the similar Sausalito, for its huge summer lag ). Certainly the climates of northern California on the immediate coast don't seem to have a parallel elsewhere.

Lots of good mentions in this thread, however.
Point Reyes on the coast is the "winner" of most extreme coastal Californian climate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This scenic, cliffy peninsula just north of San Francisco sticks out into the Pacific Ocean. It's all national park land; the weather station is at a lighthouse. It is the foggiest place in the lower 48 states of the United States. Summer is considered the worst time of year to visit as it is likely to be covered in fog.

POINT REYES LIGHT ST, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

The historical data is only from 1914-1943. I found recent weather data from Point Reyes, but no averages. No sunshine data, but it lists sun energy absorbed, which probably connects well to the amount of sunshine.

Pt. Reyes Lighthouse California

Spring looks like it gets more sunshine than summer. Both March 2010 and September recorded more solar radiation than July 2010. January is often warmer than May. Looks like mean July humidity is about 95%! This must be one of the least frost prone places in the country.
Anyone else want to rate this odd place?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM

356 posts, read 677,907 times
Ketchikan, Alaska is a pretty unique climate, an extra rainy version of the European maritime climate. Or a colder rainier version of the Northwest US

Ketchikan, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,797,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Point Reyes on the coast is the "winner" of most extreme coastal Californian climate.
Quite right, it IS the oddest Csb of any station on the coast. And unlike similar nearby spots like San Francisco, it doesn't just have that huge summer lag, but a winter lag all the way to March for the coldest month!

Bodie is still my pick for odd, but Point Reyes comes in close.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
Ketchikan, Alaska is a pretty unique climate, an extra rainy version of the European maritime climate. Or a colder rainier version of the Northwest US

Ketchikan, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are some spots that are similar to S.E. Alaska in Norway, so I wouldn't say Ketchikan is unique. However, I've never seen a counterpart to Whittier, Alaska. That place really is extra-rainy (and extra-snowy too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather