Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a summer or winter monsoon suit you better? Choose your climate.
Tegri Plateau 1 8.33%
Tutankhamen 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times

Advertisements

I have decided to set up a climate battle between two interesting monsoonal climates I've created: the Tegri Plateau and the city of Tutankhamen. Both of them have advantages and disadvantages, for both heat and cold lovers.

The Tegri Plateau is a cool to cold monsoon climate. Winters are cold and bone-dry. Very little snow is present during the actual winter months. However, as temperatures warm in Spring, heavy amounts of precipitation fall, bringing the first significant snows in March and crushing amounts of snowfall in April and May. The monsoon strengthens in Summer, and the last big snows fall in June. June and July each feature over 30 inches of rain, as well as negligible sunshine. The monsoon lessens as summer ends, and the daily range widens, creating a strange stagnation in daily highs between August and September. Rain and snow taper off rapidly in September.

Rain is concentrated in the monsoon, and Tegri features the higher annual precipitation. However, there is a long stretch of dry and sunny months in the Tegri Plateau, though most of them are cold. These months constitute most of the respectable annual sunshine average of 2500 hours.

Its competitor is another city called Tutankhamen. Tutankhamen features a lower precipitation figure than the Tegri Plateau, but it is spread out more over the course of the year. Consequently there are more precipitation days. There is also very cloudy weather throughout this period, and 8 months of the year are cloudy, averaging under 100 sunshine hours. It is also very cold in the winter, averaging well below zero for both highs and lows. It also stays cold for long in this climate, which leads to a huge snowfall figure of 553 inches per year, which snowier than Tegri has ever been, both annually and in winter. Winters in Tutankhamen feature very deep snow, as opposed to Tegri Plateau's bare ground. Although precipitation increases sharply, reaching a maximum in August, the wetness or cloudiness here never reaches Tegri's extreme levels, though it does drag out for longer. The monsoonal conditions in Tutankhamen are centered around winter, not summer, and thus precipitation drops off sharply here at the same time Tegri's monsoon is gearing up. This leads to more rapid warming and clearing of the skies in April and May. Summers are overall warmer in Tutankhamen than Tegri, with July averaging 20C for the high, but also featuring chillier lows than Tegri. Summer here is bone-dry and features abundant sunshine. July in Tutankhamen is sunnier than any month in Tegri, and May and June fall just short of Tegri's sunshine peak in autumn. Tutankhamen's Summer is short-lived, though, with late July and August featuring rapid cooling as the monsoon hits. As a consequence of this long cloudy period, Tutankhamen features low sunshine hours, averaging 1600 hours annually.

To a lot of people, these climates each have advantages over each other in terms of their characteristics, and this will present an interesting choice to everyone, even those who would give an F to both of these places. These climates may not be especially realistic, especially Tutankhamen, but they are designed to be interesting combatants for this climate battle.

Tegri Plateau's Koeppen type is Dwc, which is a monsoon-influenced subarctic climate. Tegri falls a few degrees short of being classified as a tundra climate, and in any case Tegri Plateau is marginal for tree growth. The Trewartha type for Tegri Plateau is E, which is also a subarctic classification.

Tutankhamen's Koeppen type is Dsc, which is a subarctic climate with a summer dry season (or a Mediterranean precipitation pattern). This place isn't marginal for tree growth, but remarkably, the levels of cold in winter approach levels that would classify it as a Dsd climate (7F warmer than the -36F threshold). The Trewartha type is once again E.

For me this is a choice that required some thought, since both have appealing and unappealing features and both would be interesting to experience. I decided upon Tutankhamen. Even though it is too cold in winter, its extreme snowfall beats out Tegri Plateau's bare winters. It also has warmer summers that are more to my liking. Summers in Tutankhamen would be far too sunny, but the low annual figure and many cloudy months vault it over Tegri's non-extreme but still very sunny period that go on for longer.

Now that I've cast the first vote, which one will you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,556,872 times
I choose Tutankhamen:

-I really wouldn't like no snowfall until March so...that right there was the deciding factor for me.
-I still prefer Tutankhamen despite its insane snowfall amounts...but it's nothing TOO insane or too difficult to deal with.
-Warmer summers is a plus
-Lower sunshine hours is a minus

This was a close one. Good comparison!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,982 times
Going for king Tut here - yes, I'd like just two months in the year, but those months are solid, dry, sunny.

I typically favor summer rainfall on the whole, but I like rainy hot summers. Cwa and Dwa are clear winners for me over their Mediterranean cousins, but Dsc is far superior to Dwc for my tastes, as the pleasant cooling of summer rain is essentially void in climates that never get a hot day. I might as well have one season to enjoy and heap the bad weather in the off months!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Both of these climates are wretched but if I had to choose.. it would be Tutankhamen... at least it has one month where I could somewhat be comfortable.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 AM

66 posts, read 109,859 times
Interesting creations, I had never thought of something like that... Tegri Plateau's sunshine distribution, for example, is pretty unexpected.

However, to actually live in one of those places would be pretty harsh. To choose between winters colder than my freezer and insane amounts of snowfall and a very cool, ridiculously rainy and gloomy summer... Well, maybe I would choose Tutankhamen - June and July look really pleasant. Despite the fact that sunny winters seem somewhat interesting, Tegri's June would be absolutely unbearable, especially when you realize that is actually the summer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather