Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,372,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
JB has been wrong about pretty much everything this winter.
Yea, your right. Not only that, but did you ever notice that the "center" of his hyped up snow forecasts is always over the Middle Atlantic/Tri-State area - the heaviest populated, largest commercial market in North America.

From the suburbs of Washington DC to the Tri-State area (NY/NJ/CT), they average like 15 – 35 inches of snow – lol. What about the places in New England, the Great Lakes, the Upper Midwest, the Intermountain West, the passes in the PNW, California…etc? Many places in these regions get 100 – 300 inches of snow on average each winter – but in terms of marketing it has little value I guess. A lot of JB forecasts are “market based” it often seems – lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
He's said some sloppy things in the past. Whatever your take on global warming is, some of things he says sounds like someone he doesn't think carefully before he talks, particularly the first quoted paragraph:

Learning from Bastardi’s Mistakes | Open Mind

Old 03-28-2012, 11:49 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,372,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
He's said some sloppy things in the past. Whatever your take on global warming is, some of things he says sounds like someone he doesn't think carefully before he talks, particularly the first quoted paragraph:

Learning from Bastardi’s Mistakes | Open Mind
That was an eye-opener…how on earth did you find that one - lol.

My real problem with JB, and many of today “weather outlets”…is they no longer forecast weather, they “market weather”. Worse, he always has the same agenda - cold. He never lets the data speak for itself...he's always trying to twist it into somehow the world will get colder soon (esp where he lives - lol). I don't know where I stand on global warming, but no matter what happens, he thinks everything we see means the climate is cooling. It’s enough to make an old weatherman cry.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,428,695 times
After the March heatwave...... forecast looks thoroughly boring with high pressure over Iceland giving cloudy drizzly north winds for early April, possibly the most mundane and tedious weather pattern imaginable. Oh well, we've got to make up for this summer we just had I guess. Anyone who enjoys dry cloudy boring maritime arctic winds is an eejit.

High pressure to the west/northwest of the UK is the boringest, gheyest weather pattern scenario possible and makes me roll my eyes every time. How typical. It ruined last summer too I seem to remember. It doesn't bring the rain we need either, yet it just brings cold, nuclear winter style anti-cyclonic gloom and scraps of drizzle plus the most boring weather imaginable ever in the world known ever.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,006,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Worse, he always has the same agenda - cold. He never lets the data speak for itself...he's always trying to twist it into somehow the world will get colder soon (esp where he lives - lol).
Perhaps it's wishful thinking . Seriously, it should be pointed out that in his most recent video he said that weather is not climate, and that one should pay attention to global temperatures. I don't keep up with him, so I cannot speak for his overall expressed views, but it is a counterpoint.

As for JB's forecasting prowess, which is a somewhat contentious subject, I think he has his biases, but overall he's about as good as any other long-range forecaster, which is to say a high inaccuracy rate but still useful for predictive purposes. His pattern recognition, however, is about the best of the bunch when it concerns the 5-25 day timeframe. Long range his record is more spotty - he's been awful this winter even in the medium range, but he did reasonably well in 2010 (especially for the mid-Atlantic, but that may have just been luck or his bias coming through) and 2011 (only after December when he realized his previous forecast was junk).

I agree that the more "old-style" approach was better, and too many try to market weather as opposed to forecasting it, giving a range of uncertainties, the conditions that will transpire to make their forecast verify, the uncertainties in them, confidence level, et cetera. Case in point was Accuweather saying that "people from the Midwest would want to move after this winter" and the UK Met Office's cautious forecast that was twisted by the media into the "BBQ summer" fiasco. Well, perhaps in a curious way Accuweather was right - if I lived in Chicago during this pathetic winter I'd want to move north. The heat-and-sun bias, where especially TV meteorologists push hot and sunny weather, is an especially problematic issue that wasn't as bad years ago or among older weathermen.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:24 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,563,865 times
Spring forecast for the next few days:

today: 52/40 - moderate rain/wind 20-30 mph
thursday: 51/47 - moderate rain/wind 15-25 mph
friday: 51/41 - moderate rain/wind 10-20 mph
saturday: 47/39 - moderate rain
sunday: 48/40 - showers
monday: 48/38 - showers
tuesday: 46/39 - showers

At least it isn't like this in the summer.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,609,695 times
Tomorrow will be the last sunny day before it becomes cloudy and cooler.. some models are showing the possibility of a very cold April, colder then the March just gone

Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,428,695 times
Let's get the crap weather out the way in spring rather than suffer a dreadful summer again. However the April cold in all the models I've seen doesn't look very interesting with mostly a cool tedious NW'ly settled airflow with cloud and drizzle, and high pressure still in control, nothing of the much more interesting sun & showers combo like 2008 (last interesting April there was). So I shall sleep now in my hibernation until a loud thunderclap wakes me up to know real weather has arrived.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM

559 posts, read 748,929 times
Had the first thunderstorm of the year here in northwest NJ. Funny thing is, the town where I go to school got it, but my hometown 5 miles away didn't.

The next few days look to be relatively cool (48-58), with showers on Saturday. It's supposed to heat back up to the 70s on Monday.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,021,793 times
Weather forecasts seem very unpredictable this time of year, during the seasonal transitions.

Sometimes the forecast for the next few days even seems to change even after a few hours, from refreshing the screen to check the current temperature.

Anyone else notice this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather