Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

Cold is cold. Just make sure that there is no wind. That makes it true cold. Bone chilling cold is when it is damp, you just can't get warm. In Miami, it can be 45, which I don't even need a coat for in Salt Lake City...But in Miami, it feels colder than 45, and I wear a coat, sweater, gloves, hat...SLC, 45 is basically jacket weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
My experience is the opposite. (I suspect "scientific data" that comes from the same type of people who get grants to determine that "All cows travel North" - which is stupid on its face; if they did, how would they get back to water or their home ranch? Why aren't they all piled up at all of the northernmost fences? And no, it isn't because the cowboys herd them back! But someone got a $38,000 grant to determine this. )

I lived in SC (100% humidity most of the time) for 20 years, and +20 deg Farenheit saw me in a heavy coat, long johns, etc, with winter lined gloves and a hat. In Nebraska, (20-40% humidity) +20 deg Farenheit - even with snow - is a dry and pleasant cold, needing only a heavy sweater, hat, and my leather work gloves. And yes I DO work outside; I was a firefighter and EMT in SC, and I have a farm in NE. Wet cold - even in sunshine - feels like it eats right into my bones, feels heavy, and makes it hard to get warm. A dry cold - even without sunshine - doesn't make me feel cold at all. I can work for hours - and have - outside in a dry cold.

I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but a lot of so called 'scientists' are simply publishing to get grants and/or tenure - grants that often only pay them when they solve for a pre-determined result. I consider all interpretations of data to be suspect until I find out who paid for the results - and why.

JMHO... from watching both my college professors and my daughter's.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
My experience is the opposite. (I suspect "scientific data" that comes from the same type of people who get grants to determine that "All cows travel North" - which is stupid on its face; if they did, how would they get back to water or their home ranch? Why aren't they all piled up at all of the northernmost fences? And no, it isn't because the cowboys herd them back! But someone got a $38,000 grant to determine this. )

I lived in SC (100% humidity most of the time) for 20 years, and +20 deg Farenheit saw me in a heavy coat, long johns, etc, with winter lined gloves and a hat. In Nebraska, (20-40% humidity) +20 deg Farenheit - even with snow - is a dry and pleasant cold, needing only a heavy sweater, hat, and my leather work gloves. And yes I DO work outside; I was a firefighter and EMT in SC, and I have a farm in NE. Wet cold - even in sunshine - feels like it eats right into my bones, feels heavy, and makes it hard to get warm. A dry cold - even without sunshine - doesn't make me feel cold at all. I can work for hours - and have - outside in a dry cold.

I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but a lot of so called 'scientists' are simply publishing to get grants and/or tenure - grants that often only pay them when they solve for a pre-determined result. I consider all interpretations of data to be suspect until I find out who paid for the results - and why.

JMHO... from watching both my college professors and my daughter's.
lol. Even in Miami and the Gulf Coast you will not find "100% humidity most of the time". 80% is typical. And 20%-40% humidity would be unusually dry even for Death Valley (if we are talking about winter). In Nebraska, average relative humidity in January would be in the 60s and 70s.

You don't need grants and research but looking up some facts never hurt anybody.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Dry 20 degrees I feel fine. Humid 40 degrees, I'm freezing!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Well, i live in a VERY humid city (Buenos Aires) and people always says "oh well, the climate in Bariloche (a city in the Patagonia MUCH MUCH colder than BA) is dry so the cold in winter is not that bad". I went to Bariloche many times and its basically cold all year there (except for summer, though i had the missfortune to catch 2 cold summers when i went for vacation) and the 0f that often gets to be there in the winter feel MUCH colder than the 40f that thed colder days in BA get.

I dont know how would i feel with the same temperature, though, have yet to go to a dry city with a 50f low, maybe it feels less cold than BA 50f.

All i know is that in this humid weather (and giving that winter is the most humid month here, everyday above 85%) i feel VERY cold at low 40s and INSANELY cold in the 30s. Dont know if i would feel the same in a dry weather like that.

One thing i do know is that HOT weather feels MUCH HOTTER WITH HUMIDITY (insanely unberably hot!!!!)

Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
I always found that cold humid air felt much warmer than cold dry air. Air that is saturated won't accept any more moisture, so your sweat won't evaporate into it, keeping you warmer. Dry air will blast the moisture off of your skin, carrying heat away with it, and feels much, much colder, to me at least.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
Default Dry Cold Is Colder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I always found that cold humid air felt much warmer than cold dry air. Air that is saturated won't accept any more moisture, so your sweat won't evaporate into it, keeping you warmer. Dry air will blast the moisture off of your skin, carrying heat away with it, and feels much, much colder, to me at least.
Absolutely. We now live in southern California, near the desert. When it's 45F here where humidity is very low, it feels bone chilling cold. When we go back to New England, and its 45F, you can almost get away with just wearing a t-shirt alone, very comfortable.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
I still think that 'wet' cold feels much cooler - You lose body heat quickly due to the moist air.

Cold wet air at times lowers the temperature - when we have dry winter days (in Sydney) the temperature would usually be around 17C. Moist cool air, however, lowers it to 13C.

As what someone said up there, humidity makes cold air colder and hot air even hotter. Humidity just intensifies stuff - even our sense of smell (that's why we smell rain when the humidity rises).

Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
The wet cold we have here is so humid you can feel the particles of mist on your body and it makes it seem so cold. Nothing chills like the damp. In Switzerland I encountered much colder temperatures (-15°C) with low humidity and sun and it felt warmer than our 2-5°C!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
The wet cold we have here is so humid you can feel the particles of mist on your body and it makes it seem so cold. Nothing chills like the damp. In Switzerland I encountered much colder temperatures (-15°C) with low humidity and sun and it felt warmer than our 2-5°C!
You're talking about mist and no sun. No wonder you associate "humidity" with cold.

2-5C with close to 100% humidity is a very common winter morning here. I would be very surprised if you found a sunny winter morning here, colder than -15C in Switzerland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather