Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,860,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
are you outside most days by sunrise?
Even if I'm not awake,
most buildings in the tropics are designed for fast cooling, often no heating available too.

I like it best when the air's 75+ F for sleeping, even while under the covers.
That way when I start to feel awake, the warmth of the bed does not pursuade me to stay there.

Right now where I sit, it's 65 F with no breeze, I'm winter acclimated(ish)
I'm wearing long pants, a hoodie and felt I still needed a touque/beanie to feel optimum core comfort.
I shouldn't need to dress warm in the tropics to feel comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 02:45 PM

437 posts, read 1,303,149 times
Checked the last 10 January absolute lows for Hilo and they're quite constant with lows between 57-63F with the majority of them about 60F. Honolulu's was 57-64F and Kona's was 61-68F. The humidity may make 60s feel warmer then in somewhere with dry winters too...

Old 01-30-2011, 05:54 PM

20 posts, read 63,944 times
I am in SC too and do NOT plan on staying here for another COLD and very long winter. What is so horrible about this weather are the drastic temp ranges, both seasonally and daily. Here, in the MB area, we often have pleasant to even warm days throughout the winter. However, once the sun goes down, those warmish temps vitually plumet 15-20 degrees within an hour or two after dark. It is just how it works here. Your body has to adjust to these abnormal temp ranges on a daily basis and it is too tough to deal with. For instance, today, in fact, only 2 hours ago, we were at a beautiful warm & sunny 72 degrees. Orlando was reporting the same temp and Ft. Meyers was coming in at 73. However, by 6 pm and according to weatherchannel.com, my area of Myrtle Beach was reading 55, while Orlando was reading 71 and Ft. Myers was coming in at 67. This temp will continue to drop another 10 dgrees as the night progresses.. Again, it's how it works here. Hopefully, by March, one doesn't have to be under house arrest, after dark, here in the Myrtle Beach area.

On a seasonal basis, there is about 100 degree range of temps...very extreme: 115 daytime, with the heat factor in the summer to 15 with the wind chill in the winter at night.

I, too, have been researching an area that has a does not have temps below 60 in winter and have come up with similar results. Puerto Rico, in particular, looks good to me; 82 average high and 71 average low...a normal contrast as opposed to this very erractic one we have here in SC.
I agree, too, South FL, as I follow their temps is definitely VERY GOOD & the best you can get here on The East Coast, even if they too get a cold spell once and a while.

Very glad another SC person is as disgusted as I am and is looking to leave this area, which, as nice as it is, is simply too cold to be in if you don't like cold weather!
Good Luck Miss Shawn. I will be following this feed.
PS...Have been to both Australia & New Zealand & love these countries!

Last edited by WANTOUTOFMB; 01-30-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTOUTOFMB;17649417[B
]I am in SC too and do NOT plan on staying here for another COLD and very long winter[/b]. What is so horrible about this weather are the drastic temp ranges, both seasonally and daily. Here, in the MB area, we often have pleasant to even warm days throughout the winter. However, once the sun goes down, those warmish temps vitually plumet 15-20 degrees within an hour or two after dark. It is just how it works here. Your body has to adjust to these abnormal temp ranges on a daily basis and it is too tough to deal with. For instance, today, in fact, only 2 hours ago, we were at a beautiful warm & sunny 72 degrees. Orlando was reporting the same temp and Ft. Meyers was coming in at 73. However, by 6 pm and according to weatherchannel.com, my area of Myrtle Beach was reading 55, while Orlando was reading 71 and Ft. Myers was coming in at 67. This temp will continue to drop another 10 dgrees as the night progresses.. Again, it's how it works here. Hopefully, by March, one doesn't have to be under house arrest, after dark, here in the Myrtle Beach area.

On a seasonal basis, there is about 100 degree range of temps...very extreme: 115 daytime, with the heat factor in the summer to 15 with the wind chill in the winter at night.

I, too, have been researching an area that has a does not have temps below 60 in winter and have come up with similar results. Puerto Rico, in particular, looks good to me; 82 average high and 71 average low...a normal contrast as opposed to this very erractic one we have here in SC.
I agree, too, South FL, as I follow their temps is definitely VERY GOOD & the best you can get here on The East Coast, even if they too get a cold spell once and a while.

Very glad another SC person is as disgusted as I am and is looking to leave this area, which, as nice as it is, is simply too cold to be in if you don't like cold weather!
Good Luck Miss Shawn. I will be following this feed.
PS...Have been to both Australia & New Zealand & love these countries!
Boohoo, you have nice winter days but bad winter nights?
Try being angry about the regular weather, 7-8 months a year, every year.
Try spending more days in summer being cold than being hot.
Try having winter days where you're always very cold after being outside for 20 minutes!

Myrtle Beach is nearly-tropical compared to where I live.
I have not seen a day at 70+ F since early October.
I have not seen a day at 60+ F since mid-October.
I have not seen a day at 50+ F since early-November.

I would feel very lucky to live in Myrtle Beach instead of Canada.

From Toronto's annual heat index to lowest windchills,
I can count a spread between 105 F and -20 F; 125 F annual "feels like" range difference.

It is interesting though,
you don't want out of Myrtle Beach because summers are too hot.
(A common theme; most posters from the southern US on City Data hate warm temps)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-31-2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,961,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Try having winter days where you're always very cold after being outside for 20 minutes!

From Toronto's annual heat index to lowest windchills,
I can count a spread between 105 F and -20 F; 125 F annual "feels like" range difference.

It is interesting though,
you don't want out of Myrtle Beach because summers are too hot.
(A common theme; most posters from the southern US on City Data hate warm temps)
No joke! MB weather would be AWESOME, even compared to the winters we have here in North Texas!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM

9,024 posts, read 20,443,782 times
We lived in Denver, CO metro (south) for 5 1/2 years. After a hip replacement and rotator cuff sugeries, we had to leave. Wound up in Charlotte, NC (north) for a year. The two winters there were much milder than in Denver metro, but it still got quite cold and had a couple of inches of snow. We decided we really didn't like NC that much and really wanted to get away from "Old Man Winter" completely. Wife got laid-off, so we took the opportunity and moved to Jacksonville, FL.. We had already visited Orlando and decided it was just too hot/humid for us. Been here in Jax for 2 yrs now and basically like it. The winter time here can get pretty cold at night, but not down in the minus figures like Denver, CO. Daytime winter temps here are basically much, much better than both CO and NC. We have a boat and haven't had it winterized and it sits outside. However, we do start it up and get it to op temp a few times during the winter. Haven't had a problem. BUT, with as cold as it's got here the last two winters (late night/early morning), we may, in a few years, move more south into FL.
Sure glad we don't have to wear the winter parka's and snow boots anymore! No more shoveling either!
A little info: we did get some snow flurries here (11 mi south of Jax) on Christmas weekend last year. It only lasted a few minutes, but I got it on video. None of it stuck, but it was coming down pretty good.
By the way, we are in our early 60's.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,266,410 times
The past two winters in Myrtle Beach have been cold and raw, but typically highs are between 55-60 F. Last month's average temperature was 12 F below average. Should be interesting to see how far below average they are this month. Funny how my uncle was bragging about the great weather they have while I was visiting in summer 2009. Now he's singing a different tune.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,961,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The past two winters in Myrtle Beach have been cold and raw, but typically highs are between 55-60 F. Last month's average temperature was 12 F below average. Should be interesting to see how far below average they are this month. Funny how my uncle was bragging about the great weather they have while I was visiting in summer 2009. Now he's singing a different tune.

55-60 is bad weather? I would love that!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
55-60 is bad weather? I would love that!
*I would love it too.

Not quite.
Their coldest month on average is something like 57/36 F.

But I think Myrtle Beach even with similar average winter highs and lows would be less prone to extreme winter storms than Dallas Texas.
Texas is wide open to the fury of the Arctic and Plains but SC is protected a little by the Appalachain mountains.

A lot of the worst winter storms south of 37 N tend to originate from the Gulf of Mexico and drift northward, so the worst winter weather often west of SC.
SC is also as sunny as West TX in winter; for some reason the Atlantic coast is very sunny in winter.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,389,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

...and the pendulum swings both ways too. The media tends to give much more play to the cold weather than to the warm weather…but the law of averages will make the number of below normal winters (like last year, and this past Dec/Jan)…equal out to the number of above normal winters. This has been one of the coldest Dec and Jan combined months in areas like Myrtle Beach in 50 years...as much of the USA has been below normal this winter (even places like San Diego and Miami).

I normally travel between the Keys and Myrtle Beach/Folly Beach in the cold season, and I can remember plenty of days in the 60's and 70’s (F) in Myrtle Beach/Folly Beach/HH in Dec – Feb. While nothing can compare with the southern half of Florida (warmest weather in winter on the USA mainland) …coastal South Carolina is not a bad place to spend a winter in North America. I just scanned the NWS site:

December 2008 – 21 of 31 days hit 60 F (16 C) or higher ( 7 days in the 70’s )

December 2007 – 20 of 31 days 60 F or higher (8 days in the 70’s ).

December 2006 – 24 of 31 days 60 F or higher (7 days in the 70’s ).

January 2007 – 15 of 31 days 60 F or higher (5 days in the 70’s ).

January 2006 – 16 of 31 days 60 F or higher (5 days in the 70’s (hits 75 F twice).

Sounds pretty nice to me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather