Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,033,999 times

Advertisements

Thought this was interesting - not sure what to make of it for my area:

La Nina Likely to Bring Weather Extremes to US This Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,360,346 times
Quote:
Although periods of warmth are likely in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic
That's all I need to see lol.

So I'm just assuming for my region La Nina means good (milder) Winters and El Nino means good (hot) Summers. I know it's more complex than that but that's sort of what happened.

Thanks for posting the article, I wonder why they didn't really mention the Midwest.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,248,819 times
I prefer what the Farmer's Almanac is saying.

But it should be interesting what the storm track will be this winter. There seems to be uncertainty about the temperatures as well.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times
Quote:
"...Although periods of warmth are likely in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, very cold air will also not be too far north of these regions, so occasional periods of extreme winter weather there are still possible. This is true particularly for the upper Midwest, which will be on the boundary between persistent cold to the west and persistent mild air to the south..."
This probably means a crap winter for Toronto.
I'm "not too far north" of the northeast, and southern Ontario can experience "Upper Midwest" weather patterns.

Last winter was unbelieveably-easy; exceptionally-dry with few days of extreme cold.

It seems to be common for the southeast to have an exceptionally nice winter pattern, (warmer and drier than avg)
while Toronto is at best might be overcast with seasonal temps.

A busy storm track along the Pacific will probably mean remnants track along the Great Lakes,
perhaps re-building due to moisture off our Lakes and/or southerly winds.

I'm just hoping for a seasonal winter,
as it seems we will be lucky to not be snowier or colder than avg.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:04 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,295,458 times
Quote:
The general lack of storminess in the southern tier of the country means less precipitation than during an average winter. The desert Southwest, which depends on winter rain for most of its yearly rainfall, is vulnerable to drought even after just one season of dry weather.
Good grief! That's all the SW needs is more long periods of dry weather! That will surely bring in more retirees, snowbirds, and sun freaks ... but won't be very beneficial for the water supplies. Even last winter's wetter than normal weather pattern here in the SW was rather unimpressive. Some of the reservoirs experienced the highest capacity in years ... but Lake Mead and Lake Powell are still at low levels, and a dry winter will only make matters worse.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,736,236 times
I sure hope that a La Nina pattern won't mean a repeat of the Winter of 2008-2009 here in the Pacific Northwest. That was a nightmare... excessive cold and snow which lasted for more than a month.... and some of the coldest weather in 20 years.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,033,999 times
There are so many different sources that you never know which one to believe. But, the weather in this entire country has been "odd" for a few years now.

I keep hearing tons of snow here. My mind goes back to 20 years ago when the snow banks were a couple feet taller than me. When you'd shovel, you'd have to throw the snow up and hope it landed on top of the pile. AND this was normal. We haven't had that in a very long time. Egads, I don't want to ever do that again.

Let's hope for the best

Old 09-13-2010, 05:05 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,077,243 times
La Nina ought to make for a warm, dry summer over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather