Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,238 times

Advertisements

Are there any places in which the local climate is significantly altered by nearby hot springs or geothermal activity? I've always imagined that there is some Shangri La in Scandinavia or northern Russia in which a warm microclimate exists adjacent to a big hot pool.

I know there's a hot spring in Oymyakon, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the surrounding area (although it does make for nice swimming).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Are there any places in which the local climate is significantly altered by nearby hot springs or geothermal activity? I've always imagined that there is some Shangri La in Scandinavia or northern Russia in which a warm microclimate exists adjacent to a big hot pool.

I know there's a hot spring in Oymyakon, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the surrounding area (although it does make for nice swimming).
Don't know if this really answers your question but there is a lake in Canada's high arctic that functions as a "thermal oasis".

Lake Hazen is an unusually deep lake going from southwest to northeast between 81.6 and 81.9 degrees north latitude. Because of its depth, it holds what little heat that gets that far north. The Hazen Fault Zone immediately to the north of the lake forms a series of steep mountains that do a very good job of reflecting solar radiation down to the north shore and recent ice-out conditions lasting as long as two months enhance this heating effect.

The only weather data I have found for Lake Hazen is included here:
HAZEN LAKE and was taken during a two year stretch in the 60's. That's not very long but it's interesting to note that those readings were taken during one of the coolest stretches of weather the high arctic saw during the entire 20th century. Average July temps were 7.1 degrees C (or roughly 44.8 F) which is damm'd impressive for a location less than 600 miles (965 kilometers) from the north pole.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 6,237 times
Temperatures in Hot Springs, Arkansas seem to run about 2° to 3°F warmer than those in nearby Mt Ida, which despite its name, is at a slightly lower elevation. The gap is seen in all seasons and is greater at night, rather like what one sees with an urban heat island. But Hot Springs has only about 35000 people and one would not normally expect an urban heat island in such a town.

Thermopolis, Wyoming is also surprisingly warm for where it is on a map, with average temperatures about 6°F warmer than Riverton, WY, which is further south and only slightly higher in elevation. Thermopolis is named for its hot springs.

It's tempting to conclude that the hot water rushing out of the ground is in fact warming these towns just barely enough to measure a consistent increase in temperature, but other effects might be causing these microclimates. I don't have data for humidity, which would perhaps be a better way to demonstrate that the quantity of water flowing out was sufficient to make a measurable difference.

On the other hand, it may be that geothermal heating can affect the soil temperature as well, and therefore the increase would be measurable in other areas apart from the immediate vicinity of the hot springs, and would not markedly increase humidity.

-------

This thread is very old, but I saw the notice at the bottom which leads me to believe that it's better for me to post this here than to start a new thread.

Best regards,
Soap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather