Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 AM

15 posts, read 35,143 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in an equatorial climate before? (Panama, Indonesia, etc) If so, does your body ever adjust to the year round heat and humidity? It seems to me that those climates are like Florida in the summer 365 days a year. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 12:25 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,833,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomd1 View Post
Has anyone lived in an equatorial climate before? (Panama, Indonesia, etc) If so, does your body ever adjust to the year round heat and humidity? It seems to me that those climates are like Florida in the summer 365 days a year. Just curious.
I met a guy born and raised in the Phillipines until his early teens, who has been living in Toronto for a few years.
He said he loves Canadian weather, but he hates May-Sep in Toronto. (the only time of year I like )
He told me this with a smile, wearing a thick, black leather jacket on a breezy overcast day in the low 50's F/ low 10's C.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:59 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,731,077 times
I knew a guy from Manaus, Brazil and he said people would set their clocks to the rains that came every day in the afternoon... I imagine if you were born and raised there, you would adapt fine to living there.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,734,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I knew a guy from Manaus, Brazil and he said people would set their clocks to the rains that came every day in the afternoon... I imagine if you were born and raised there, you would adapt fine to living there.
Probably Darwin here is the closest thing there is to an Equatorial climate, ie only 12 degrees South.
You adapt, only if you were born there!!!
This notion about acclimatizing is untrue for most people, I have lived in a subtropical climate - and that was bad enough during summer- as it goes on - day in day out, and night in night out.
The only way you survive is to have permanent air-conditioning where-
ever you go.
For most people you never adapt to a hot climate, you only accomodate it.
The zero seasons too, would "throw" most people, as you need a winter to appreciate a summer, in my book.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,731,077 times
If it were me, I'd love to live in an Equatorial Climate... in fact my ideal place to live is Singapore... It's a developed country right on the equator that is hot and humid all year long with no seasons....
In my life, I've had way too much of winter in my opinion.... I need a permanent summer!
I don't think I'd have much trouble adapting as I love hot weather.. and wish I could have it forever!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Probably Darwin here is the closest thing there is to an Equatorial climate, ie only 12 degrees South.
You adapt, only if you were born there!!!
This notion about acclimatizing is untrue for most people, I have lived in a subtropical climate - and that was bad enough during summer- as it goes on - day in day out, and night in night out.
The only way you survive is to have permanent air-conditioning where-
ever you go.
For most people you never adapt to a hot climate, you only accomodate it.
The zero seasons too, would "throw" most people, as you need a winter to appreciate a summer, in my book.
That was my point, showing a Filipino guy who basically hated warmth, yet didn't mind extreme-cold.
He wasn't overweight, out of shape, didn't appear to have asthma.
Similar to me living in Canada; part of my adaptation to my generally-cold climate is being grumpy more frequently.

Winters are a nightmare here; you're lucky Australia doesn't get "real" winters.
Spring is plenty chilly enough in Canada to appreciate a summer...
Actually, summer is still chilly enough to appreciate summer-weather.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,376,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomd1 View Post
I never have…but from what I have been told by someone who lived in Indonesia then lived in Miami…is that there is less air movement in tropical jungles/tropical rainforests than in the tropical savannas like South Florida/Cuba in summer. In the deep tropical rainforests (0 – 15 N/S) the feeble temperature differences create weak pressure gradients, so that air movement is just about zero. In the tropical savannas which are normally located further from the equator (15 to 25 N/S) like south Florida or north Africa…while the summer (or wet season) has less air movement, there is often some slight change in the temp gradient once in a while to drive a slight wind/breeze in summer. Also, I think locations like the Windward Islands (20 North) while tropical…get the trade winds much of the year…so there is a nice breeze that makes for a livable climate compared to a tropical rainforest/jungle like interior Panama or the Congo, which is still, hot, and wet.

I think I could get used to the hot summers in the USVI if I forced myself - lol.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I never have…but from what I have been told by someone who lived in Indonesia then lived in Miami…is that there is less air movement in tropical jungles/tropical rainforests than in the tropical savannas like South Florida/Cuba in summer.
Even the physics alone of the jungle vs. savannah would make the winds calmer:

- "tangled" growth is more restrictive to airflow
- "tangled" growth would also block out more light from reaching the ground
- larger areas of moisture being released (plants, puddles) would stabilise the temp gradients

I think I would prefer a savannah environment over tropical jungle, as I appreciate airflow and I don't mind the heat of scorching sun.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,075,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Darwin is more of a savannah climate in that there's hardly any rainfall for several months of the year.

The best example of an equatorial climate in Australia would probably be Cocos Island: Climate statistics for Australian locations

Innisfail meets the criteria for an equatorial (tropical rainforest) climate under the Koppen classification (all months having over 60 mm precipitation) but there is significant seasonal variation of temperature.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,075,920 times
I recently returned from Samoa, which, despite its relatively high latitude (14 S) and significant rainfall seasonality may be classified as equatorial due to its wet winters and near-constant temperature and humidity.

Most of the locals I spoke to who had visited Australia or New Zealand expressed a preference for the cooler climates in those countries (which tend to average 10 - 15 C lower). They said the steamy climate made them feel enervated, which I can understand. The heat was bearable but the humidity was very unpleasant -- you could never get rid of that sticky feeling.

It was very cloudy. Even when it was sunny there were always some big, puffy clouds encroaching from the hinterlands. It rained almost everyday and on the last day of my trip there was a huge rainstorm that lasted all day long. There were a few thunderstorms as well. I think the cooling effect of the cloud, rain and wind makes the climate a lot more pleasant than it otherwise would be. It's not such good beach weather, but I never felt cold.

The local flora seemed to benefit immensely from the climate. Everywhere you looked you saw lush, verdant vegetation. This stands in marked contrast to the rather arid-looking parts of north Queensland I visited last winter.

The Samoan highlands have a very mild climate. For instance, Afiamalu, at 800 m, averages 19 / 26 C in January and 17 / 24 C in July. That would be my ideal climate if not for the 6000 - 7000 mm of rain they receive every year.

The aseasonality could become boring, but tropical climates in general are fairly aseasonal. I would think that Southern Florida and the like are probably a lot more likely to experience high temperatures (say, 35+ C) than equatorial places like Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather