Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,201 times

Advertisements

hi. my daughter and i currently reside in mississippi. my husband has been in south korea for about 10 months and has just informed me that we will be stationed in fort lewis, wa. i am freaking out because i am not sure how well i will adjust, being that i have lived in mississippi all my life and i am without a doubt, a southern belle! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! my daughter is 2 years old. are there any playgrounds of some sort on base? a daycare? a school? any fun activities? a gym! is the housing nice? im sure it's safe, but i'll ask anyway. safety? i am only 20 years old so i am very new to this army life and this will be my first time living on any base... so please help. Audrey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 AM

103 posts, read 783,848 times
To give you an idea.Fort Lewis has about half as many people living there as the population of hattiesburg,mississippi and a whole lot more people working,shopping and going to the hospital there.It is a clean beautiful and all year round green place.There is everything you,your daughter and husband need.
You will meet plenty of people from your area when you live on fort Lewis and people from many other places.It will be a great experience to see how different other places are.
No worry about sticky humidity,bugs or fire ants.no poisonous snakes.No tornadoes or hurricanes.
You might want to check what answers others got in this forum when they asked about fort lewis.
Joint Base Lewis-McChord
Lewis-McChord: Welcome to Lewis-McChord (http://www.fortlewiscommunities.com/contents/village_rank.asp - broken link)
Ft. Lewis/ WA area? - Proud Army Wives! - BabyCenter
Military Wife Confessions - Search Results (http://www.militarywifeconfessions.com/apps/forums/posts/search?forum_id=1400991-army&query=fort+lewis - broken link)

Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,141,211 times
Audrianna,

Fort Lewis has plenty of nice housing, several day care facilities and playgrounds, gyms, shopping and all the amenities you would need. Within 20 minutes from Fort Lewis you have several towns, small and large (Lacey, Olympia, Dupont, Lakewood, Tacoma) that offer all the amenities like shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, galleries, markets, bars, parks, and more.
Your daughter will love the Hands ON Childrens Museum in Olympia, or Chucky Cheese, or Charlies Safari. If you like swimming, boating, or fishing, there is an abundance of lakes, as well as Puget Sound. Mount Rainier is only an hour away and the Olympic Mountains are an hour and a half drive.
I'm sure this relocation will be a major change for you, but you have much to look forward to and you'll meet many Army spouses, who, like you, come from all kinds of other places.
Good luck with your move.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,201 times
Thanks so much.. I can't wait!! Big help ladies

Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 PM

615 posts, read 1,076,223 times
It will probably be somewhat of a culture shock to you to be in Washington, but America today is so corporatized that many things are the same or almost the same wherever you go. You probably will get a lot of strange looks though when people hear your accent. Southerners are not a normal occurence in most of Washington.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,963 times
It is extremely boring here. There is no sun n nothing to do . N I don't live on base .

Old 01-07-2011, 03:29 PM

68 posts, read 317,899 times
Fort Lewis is - last I checked, it's been a few years - the most requested post in CONUS. It's got just about everything you could want. I grew up in Washington, so I was extra excited to get posted here. It should meet all your requirements.

I'd guess the biggest shock from someone who's from Mississippi will be the weather. Its one of the rare cases where the stereotypes are true; it's cool, wet, and dark here for a good chunk of the year.

A guy got transferred here last year who had grown up in the backwoods of Vermont. He scoffed when I asked if he could live with the weather; he talked about walking to school in three feet of snow and all that jazz. By March, he was bleary eyed and pale, and would do little dances at an altar to have the sun peek out for just five minutes.

Not trying to scare you off or anything; most people think the weather is worth bearing for all the stuff to do here. But you might want to keep it in mind.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM

172 posts, read 414,620 times
We were stationed at Lewis twice. We have decided that is the area that we would like to retire. I think it is funny that someone would say that there is nothing to do in the area. There are three cities, the Puget Sound, and Mt. Rainer all within easy driving distance. The area has cultural events, professional sports teams, zoos, museums, restaurants, shopping, water park, and trails/parks/beaches. If someone can't find something to do then they just aren't looking (or they're stone cold broke - I have been there and I understand, but that is a "self" issue, not a location issue).
A move from Mississippi to the Pacific North West will be a big change, but you can do it!!
ETA: Wow - I just saw how old this post is! OP - you should be there by now. I hope you like it!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,890 times
My husband is pcsing in Aug. and I'll be joining him in Dec. once I obtain my degree. I think I'm just as excited as you are about leaving the south!

Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,175 times
Its all in what you make of anything in life, if you have a positive attitude about it or at least give it a chance-you will do well. There are numerous young families on post, and all around, and you will find plenty to do Dont let the rain hold you back, will just make you miserable, being from snow belt area, I find this true for us as well, you either make the most of things or be unhappy I choose the latter. There are so many programs geared for young kids, you will be amazed, and there are lots of things to do and see Check out the Fort Lewis Youth Programs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington