Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 PM

10 posts, read 22,850 times

Advertisements

Last year we had started researching a move from Texas to Washington. The Olympia area was our first choice. This past summer our youngest son was diagnosed with brain cancer and is currently in treatment with an excellent prognosis. If we make this move in a couple of years, we'll only have to fly to Houston for check-ups twice a year. But we would still like and need fairly easy access to a great pediatric cancer/survivor program. Seattle Children's Hospital seems like a great hospital.

It's hard to get a sense of distance in Washington after living in Texas. Does this rule out living in Olympia? At this point I just don't know how often we would need to go to Seattle. Occasionally it could be a couple of times a week. If there was an emergency, how are Olympia's hospitals? I'm wondering if we would just be smarter moving to the Seattle area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Olympia is directly an hour south of Seattle. An hour with no traffic. I can't speak for Olympia's hospitals, but if they don't have the resources to take of your son-- you can bet they will send the emergency transport to a bigger hospital (via ambulance or if they have it, helicopter).

We have lots of great Hospitals; University of Washington hospital, Harborview, Swedish-- these are all in Seattle DT area. Valley Medical Center is also great, and located in the Renton area. Tacoma (20-30 mins north of Olympia) has St. Joseph's Medical center. If you are military, Fort Lewis (Tacoma) has the Madigan Medical ctr. There's many more smaller hospitals, hospital branches, clinics within 60 miles of Seattle.

If you're fine with at least driving 1hr and 15mins to the Seattle Children's hospital, then no it shouldn't rule out Olympia. Also keep in mind, the Seattle Children's hospital is close to the University, so you'll have to deal with the student traffic as well.

Is there a particular reason why you would like to move to Olympia?

Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,869 times
Seattle is by the best for hosipitals when dealing with this. My friend in Spanaway Yelm area delted with his son with brain cancer when nine months old ... They did fine going back and forth and then you can get housing when during major treatments. If your not doing traffic it is close but again why choosing Olympia other than price??

Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
For emergencies, the primary hospital in the Olympia area has, from what I hear, an excellent oncology department in general. The regional cancer center at Providence St. Peter (http://www.providence.org/prdopportunities/Profile_stpeter_olympia_wa.htm - broken link) serves a five county area and is located a few miles north of downtown Olympia on Lily Road, in between Olympia and Lacey.

In addition, Mary Bridge Children's Hospital offers inpatient care at Providence St. Peters. Mary Bridge itself is located in Tacoma and has a children's oncology program. It will be half the distance to Seattle or about 30-miles or approximately 30-minutes from Olympia. You may want to check them out too.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:11 PM

98 posts, read 442,889 times
Childrens has a excellent reputation and being close to the University of Washington puts the region at the forefront of innovation in health care. I like Olympia but the drive in non rush hour is 1.25 hours each way and can be 2 plus hours each way in rush hour. In additon in the not too distant future the Alaska Way viaduct will be replaced with a tunnel making the commute from the south worse. But if pricing of homes was not the issue it would be beneficial to live in North Seattle. Sandpoint and Laurelhurst are two great neighborhoods and have some of the best public schools in Seattle. These neighborhoods are close to Childrens but also have access to Burke Gilman bike and walk trail, Magnuson Park at Sandpoint and lake Washington.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 22,850 times
Thanks for the great replies. I'll start researching the various hospitals. I've also started looking at the Edmonds to Bothell area as a possibility as well. We loved Edmonds and the house prices seem better.

As for why Olympia (besides lower house prices)... we live in a small town (10,000 pop.) about 40 minutes from the nearest city (150,000 pop.). We moved there from Dallas, after having lived in Houston as well. Right now we have 5 acres just outside of town. We're not looking for another property with acreage (maybe 1/2 an acre to an acre, but maybe not). Olympia seems to offer a nice-sized city with plenty to do, beauty, great Farmer's Market, etc. without the sense of urban/suburban sprawl I get from Seattle and all the surrounding area. We've kind of gotten used to not having to deal with all the traffic on a daily basis. I like the idea of the more "rural" areas of Olympia. We have family in Kirkland (one of the reasons for the move) and love to visit. We drove around Olympia this past summer as we came back from a few days on the Olympic Peninsula.

Having said all that about traffic, etc., we're living right now in the heart of Houston, the Texas Medical Center area. I'm kind of liking the big city vibe, the museums, great grocery stores, shopping, etc. Maybe this medical experience is acclimating us for the thick of Seattle!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,438 times
As far as Olympia is concerned, it is the Capital so it is a bigger city, but at the same time it has a great suburb feel to it. It is 59 miles from Olympia to Seattle so it would be about an hour to get to Childrens Hospital. Childrens Hospital is one of the best hospitals in the country! There is definitely an abundance of traffic and rain, but on the flip side, you get the mountains, clean rivers, clear lakes, the Pacific Ocean beaches (which are rocky not sandy) and great places to just be with nature. I live in Tyler Texas right now and I know the difference in this area compared to Washington because I grew up in Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area for 35 years. I have been here in Texas for five years and my husband and I are going to move to Oregon or Washington this summer. I can't wait to get back to the Pacific Northwest! Good Luck in the move and with your little son. God Bless!

mod interpose: clarification-- although the distance from downtown Olympia to downtown Seattle may be 59 miles, to Children's Hospital from the Olympia area is almost 70 miles. There is also going to be a distinct possibility that you won't be able to average 60 MPH as you will be traveling through some very congested areas. So, unless you are driving in the middle of the night when there is no traffic, you have to allow at least an hour and a half or more for that trip.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-27-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,438 times
Edmonds is nice and so is the Bothel/Kirkland area. I lived in Bothel and Kirkland when I was a kid and I still have great memories from that area! Both are clean areas and Kirklandis near the water and close to the Seahawks training camp. Kirkland also has great parks down on the water and a great Boys and Girls Club program! Bothel is more wooded and Suburbian as far as I remember but that is a great place to live too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington