Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor-ator View Post
LOL moonshadow. I could just imagine the turmoil you would feel having to give away that wonderful salmon. Aaaww. So what drew you to Washington from Australia??? I've always wanted to leave Washington and visit Australia! hehe
Well to be honest (and you'll probably hate this answer ) but Seattle is the birthplace of grunge and I am a fan of that genre so over the years I've read up on the place, seen things that interested me about it and just generally always wanted to go just to check it out.

Then in 2008 I had a significant (number at the front change) birthday and I had to decide big party or go somewhere I've always wanted to go? I happened to mention it to a bloke I'd been chatting back and forth with here on CD and before we knew it we had a whole trip planned including The Olympics and Mt Rainier and I got to meet up with some friends in the area as well. PLUS because of my love of grunge I stumbled on to Benaroya Hall's website looking to see what was going to be on while I was there AND came across the Chihuly Chandeliers WHICH of course meant we HAD to go to Tacoma! Oh and Heart was touring. I forgot that bit...Heart's Dreamboat Annie was one of the first records I ever owned, my uncle gave it to me when I was 6 or there abouts and I'd ALWAYS wanted to see them live AND I DID!!!!

To be honest the other thing that really pushed me toward Seattle was a silly thing to other people I'm sure but I'd watch Grey's Anatomy religiously every week MOSTLY just for the Seattle scenes and that just re-inforced my desire to see the place. I guess the more I investigated the more I wanted to go and since I've been back I've pretty much covered the house with photos from the trip. The PNW really is a magical place. My kind of place. Stunningly beautiful AND just the right kind of city for me too.

Of course that said...I did just get back from Boston and Ma and that decision was in part reinforced by the street scenes from Boston Legal.

AND at some point in the future I would like to go to New Orleans simply because I first fell in love with it reading Ann Rice's Interview With A Vampire Series and then moved on to Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil AND then spent a bit of time researching the play Suddenly Last Summer whilst at Uni which of course led me to further on to New Orleans.

I go where the signposts point, I guess.

AND YEAH, I'm still dirty that I had to NOT BUY SALMON because I knew they'd take it, just knew it! And I would have been traumatized for life if they had, I just know it. The good thing is I ate probably a tonne of it whilst I was there!

No, there are a billion reasons to go to Washington in my opinion and I can even think of more to justify going again at some point!

If you ever need someone to sell it to the Aussies I'm your woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:35 AM

353 posts, read 934,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Then in 2008 I had a significant (number at the front change) birthday and I had to decide big party or go somewhere I've always wanted to go?

To be honest the other thing that really pushed me toward Seattle was a silly thing to other people I'm sure but I'd watch Grey's Anatomy religiously every week MOSTLY just for the Seattle scenes and that just re-inforced my desire to see the place.

AND at some point in the future I would like to go to New Orleans simply because I first fell in love with it reading Ann Rice's Interview With A Vampire Series and then moved on to Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil AND then spent a bit of time researching the play Suddenly Last Summer whilst at Uni which of course led me to further on to New Orleans.

No, there are a billion reasons to go to Washington in my opinion and I can even think of more to justify going again at some point!

Silly or not, I think we sometimes want to visit somewhere and then find reasons/excuses to go. In your case, it was many.
BTW, put Savannah on your list. That is where Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil took place.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 AM

21 posts, read 71,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well to be honest (and you'll probably hate this answer ) but Seattle is the birthplace of grunge and I am a fan of that genre so over the years I've read up on the place, seen things that interested me about it and just generally always wanted to go just to check it out.

Then in 2008 I had a significant (number at the front change) birthday and I had to decide big party or go somewhere I've always wanted to go? I happened to mention it to a bloke I'd been chatting back and forth with here on CD and before we knew it we had a whole trip planned including The Olympics and Mt Rainier and I got to meet up with some friends in the area as well. PLUS because of my love of grunge I stumbled on to Benaroya Hall's website looking to see what was going to be on while I was there AND came across the Chihuly Chandeliers WHICH of course meant we HAD to go to Tacoma! Oh and Heart was touring. I forgot that bit...Heart's Dreamboat Annie was one of the first records I ever owned, my uncle gave it to me when I was 6 or there abouts and I'd ALWAYS wanted to see them live AND I DID!!!!

To be honest the other thing that really pushed me toward Seattle was a silly thing to other people I'm sure but I'd watch Grey's Anatomy religiously every week MOSTLY just for the Seattle scenes and that just re-inforced my desire to see the place. I guess the more I investigated the more I wanted to go and since I've been back I've pretty much covered the house with photos from the trip. The PNW really is a magical place. My kind of place. Stunningly beautiful AND just the right kind of city for me too.

Of course that said...I did just get back from Boston and Ma and that decision was in part reinforced by the street scenes from Boston Legal.

I go where the signposts point, I guess.

AND YEAH, I'm still dirty that I had to NOT BUY SALMON because I knew they'd take it, just knew it! And I would have been traumatized for life if they had, I just know it. The good thing is I ate probably a tonne of it whilst I was there!

You rock!!! I love it. You're a dreamer that makes dreams happen. Way to go. I bet your chances of heart attack or stroke are slim to none.

Thank you for sharing all of that wonderful information with me. We are working on re-building our downtown area here in "the grunge capitol" Aberdeen, WA. hehe So, feedback is very important right now. Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtom View Post
Silly or not, I think we sometimes want to visit somewhere and then find reasons/excuses to go. In your case, it was many.
BTW, put Savannah on your list. That is where Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil took place.
Yeah, there were more reasons than that but I tried to stick to the main ones. LOL!
And thank you for the nudge on Midnight. It's been a while since I read it and my memory is not great at the best of times. I just remember reading Tennessee Williams and Midnight and a few other things along the way and have been wanting to go to the South ever since. AND Savannah is on my list because of Gone With The Wind. I'll have to hunt it out and read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor-ator View Post
You rock!!! I love it. You're a dreamer that makes dreams happen. Way to go. I bet your chances of heart attack or stroke are slim to none.

Thank you for sharing all of that wonderful information with me. We are working on re-building our downtown area here in "the grunge capitol" Aberdeen, WA. hehe So, feedback is very important right now. Thanks again!
haha! I have no idea how I'm going out, just know I want a BIG COLLECTION OF GOOD MEMORIES to flash through my brain when I do.

Ok, so I actually drove through Aberdeen on my way to Westport. (Had to check with MM because I forget map details and he's really good at that stuff. ) We didn't have time to stop though (We were coming from Mt Rainier and had to meet up with friends that night in Westport and made the decision to stop at Wolfhaven International on the way which pretty much was all we had time for) but I will say that I did do a google search on Cobain & Aberdeen related things before I left to see if there was anything interesting and I didn't find much of anything. AND I've just checked again now and if I put in Aberdeen WA and tourism I don't get a lot of options.

Can I just say that a couple of "tourist" things that really stood out for me on my trip was the Underground Tour in Seattle, Tillicum Village, Volunteer Park, a history museum we went to in Auburn, and of course Tacoma Museum of Glass.

A quick look now on wiki and I see that there are a lot of really interesting historical tidbits about Aberdeen that would make for a fantastic walking tour which could tie in with local venues, both musical and food related. AND one of the BEST THINGS IMO about the Underground Tour in Seattle is that it started because a local guy wanted to let people know this place existed in his home town and he didn't want it demolished by developers so he invited people to meet him one Sunday morning and was inundated by like minded people. The tour today is funny, it's interesting, it isn't prettied up in a Disney like way and it's "gritty" I guess. Aberdeen has some fascinating history that just needs to be presented with integrity and people will come. Least I think so.

BUT I reckon you need a website. STAT!! AND an easy to negotiate and informative one. I know I"m not the only person in Australia who would make the pilgrimage to Aberdeen for sentimental reasons. Just would hate to get there and discover it had been tarted up to such a degree it lost something. AND you pretty much have a legion of like minded fans right around the world who would come for that reason and just need to be introduced to that same world that Kurt and Krist knew growing up.

I hope that makes sense Harbor-ator and doesn't sound insulting, it's not meant to.

So just looking at the wiki site the things that immediately I take an interest in are the salmon cannery. YEP. **nods** I'd LOVE to do a tour of a salmon cannery and find out how that works AND EAT AND BUY SALMON at the end of the tour. Is it still there? EVEN if it's "derelict" is it possible to fashion some kind of "all you need to know about salmon but were afraid to ask tour"

Alright, it's probably just me but it says saloons, wh0%ehouses and gambling establishments...I mean a tour of the seedier sites in town would be AWESOME and you could tie it in with a bar, and/or some kind of visual theatre. Make it a night out for people. I'm pretty sure there was an option for some kind of night tour of that variety at the Seattle Underground....

AND macabre as it sounds this bloke sounds fascinating...

By 1900, Aberdeen was considered one of the grittiest towns on the West Coast, with many saloons, wh0%houses, and gambling establishments populating the area. Aberdeen was nicknamed "The Hellhole of the Pacific", or "The Port of Missing Men", because of its high murder rate. One notable resident was Billy Gohl, known locally as Billy "Ghoul", who was rumored to have killed at least 140 men. (Gohl was convicted of 2 murders).

I mean again, no offense but I joked to anyone who would listen that I was going to the serial killer capital of the world to meet a guy off the internet and it was nice knowing them. There are people that take a great interest in that kind of thing (true crime afficionados) and you have this bloke already as part of your history that you can present to people in an interesting way AND there's the added benefit that it is historical and perhaps not as upsetting for locals as something more recent.

The other thing that totally impressed me about the area was the driftwood AND all the wood, really. Seems you're a timber town so what I'd really love to see is that business the old lumberjacks used to do where the timber was transported by water? Do you know what I mean? Used to see it old cartoons and in movies and the like. Seeing that up close and getting the story about it and how it developed would be fascinating.
AND do you have Ocean Spray there? I know cranberry bogs are not a new thing for locals but I was fascinated by them and only just discovered from the new Ocean Spray ad we have here on the tele now that a cranberry bog even exists. (Cranberries have always come out of a packet all dried up for me.) I'd go on a tour about that. Love to know more about it.

Anyway those are just a few things that sprung to mind when reading the wiki link. Sorry to waffle on and probably not what you're looking for anyway.

Aberdeen, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh PS I loved those Made In Washington stores. Can't remember how many I went into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington