Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times

Advertisements

Which would you choose, and why?

I've lived in Bellingham several times over the past 25 years (I am thinking of moving back to Whatcom County from out of state) I like it, but the constant rain gets old.

I've heard that Oak Harbor gets a lot of sinshine, and is a nice place to live. Is this true?

Spokane has great prices, but I am concerned about rumored/ possible meth lab problems.

Also, I have two adopted, dark African-American children I have to consider in the move, too. I am wondering about race relations in Spokane and its outlying areas. Are there any REAL hate groups in the area?

Any and all information and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Please be kind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
There are meth labs everywhere. You'd have to be looking for one, or looking to live near one in order to find one, even in Spokane.

I will say it for the thousandth time, Spokane is not racist, and you will be fine.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:01 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
I think you'll find in general terms that WA as a whole is quite tolerant. Although that tolerance has its limits. Totally rural areas I'd avoid. Spokane is pretty diverse really.

Oak Harbor has a decent sized African American population as a result of the Navy Base there.

Of the three, Bellingham is the most liberal. But it sounds like you're dialed in on that.

Just so you know, both Oak Harbor and Spokane tend to lean right politically.

All 3 are generally safe places to live and raise children.

The Bellingham Schools, especially on the south side of town are excellent.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
I think you'll find in general terms that WA as a whole is quite tolerant. Although that tolerance has its limits. Totally rural areas I'd avoid. Spokane is pretty diverse really.

Oak Harbor has a decent sized African American population as a result of the Navy Base there.

Of the three, Bellingham is the most liberal. But it sounds like you're dialed in on that.

Just so you know, both Oak Harbor and Spokane tend to lean right politically.

All 3 are generally safe places to live and raise children.

The Bellingham Schools, especially on the south side of town are excellent.
Being that I'm a Bleeding Heart Conservative, Oak Harbor and Spokane sound like contenders still.

Bellingham, has gotten extremely liberal in the last ten years. Mainly, from all the far left/ liberal-leaning Californians that have relocated there. It is still a great place to live, but I hate the 7 out of 12 months of rain.

Please address the weather in Spokane and Oak Harbor. Thank you!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Being that I'm a Bleeding Heart Conservative, Oak Harbor and Spokane sound like contenders still.

Bellingham, has gotten extremely liberal in the last ten years. Mainly, from all the far left/ liberal-leaning Californians that have relocated there. It is still a great place to live, but I hate the 7 out of 12 months of rain.

Please address the weather in Spokane and Oak Harbor. Thank you!
Bellingham has ALWAYS been liberal. lol

Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I can tell you about May-September in Spokane.

May has nice, comfortable temperatures, with a few days of rain mixed in.

June, July, and August, are mostly sunny and warm to hot, with a few thunderstorms mixed in.

September, things cool off and the transition to fall begins, more clouds.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Bellingham has ALWAYS been liberal. lol
I have to disagree with you there!

The first time I lived there was in 1985, and it was VERY conservative. I've also maintained friendships to this day with people who were born there, and I could tell you they'd strongly disagree with you. That is YOUR perception only.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I have to disagree with you there!

The first time I lived there was in 1985, and it was VERY conservative. I've also maintained friendships to this day with people who were born there, and I could tell you they'd strongly disagree with you. That is YOUR perception only.

No way this town was conservative in the 80's.

My EX grew up here. I started coming here in 1974. And it really hasn't changed that all that much. In fact if anything it's even less so. The music scene isn't what it used to be. Although the bohemian feel to downtown still exists today. For crying out loud, The Up & UP is still there and it was a gay bar way back then. Fairhaven has certainly changed to some extent and it has grown.

It's a nice town regardless of its political leanings. But the weather is what it is. Which is just fine by me.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
No way this town was conservative in the 80's.

My EX grew up here. I started coming here in 1974. And it really hasn't changed that all that much. In fact if anything it's even less so. The music scene isn't what it used to be. Although the bohemian feel to downtown still exists today. For crying out loud, The Up & UP is still there and it was a gay bar way back then. Fairhaven has certainly changed to some extent and it has grown.

It's a nice town regardless of its political leanings. But the weather is what it is. Which is just fine by me.
I guess it all boils down to one's personal definition of the words "liberal" and "conservative."

Yes, it is a great town. I'm just wondering if the other two I mentioned are better-all things considered.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM

I can't speak to how it would play out for an African American child/young adult since I'm neither. I would guess that most liberal towns would tend to be very tolerant regardless. But that's merely specualtion. On the other hand, Bellingham is predominantly Caucasian. The African American populations of both Oak Harbor and Spokane are much larger as a percentage would be my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington