Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 57,457,574 times

Advertisements

The trip from Connell to the Tri-Cities is just a quick blast down 395, it's not technically an Interstate but for all intents and purposes it's just like one.

The way I look at it - for a normal 40 hour a week job, you drive to work, or otherwise get to work, at least 4 days a week and probably 5. Going out to movies, to eat, whatever, you do, what, 2 or 3 X per week?

I do recall some apartment buildings in Connell, you don't have to commit to staying there to the end of your days.

At the same time, I can understand how DW may not want to live within walking distance of a prison, regardless of how well-behaved the inmates are in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM

68 posts, read 185,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The trip from Connell to the Tri-Cities is just a quick blast down 395, it's not technically an Interstate but for all intents and purposes it's just like one.

The way I look at it - for a normal 40 hour a week job, you drive to work, or otherwise get to work, at least 4 days a week and probably 5. Going out to movies, to eat, whatever, you do, what, 2 or 3 X per week?

I do recall some apartment buildings in Connell, you don't have to commit to staying there to the end of your days.

At the same time, I can understand how DW may not want to live within walking distance of a prison, regardless of how well-behaved the inmates are in general.
Yet another good way to look at this Mitch . It's better to have more options than not. I just spoke to a close friend who is a native Washingtonian; he knows me very well, and said this is at the very least-worth the shot. We both competed in water skiing, and he said there are many venues in Eastern Washington.

This is huge. If I ever pull this off, a pitcher of beer and a platter of wings is on me!! If you don't drink, we'll have a cup of tea or coffee somewhere.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:44 AM

53 posts, read 180,132 times
Are the peole of this town open-minded, or more conservative? Would they be welcoming to someone more liberal, or would something like tattoos be judged? Also, I read that Connell is the place to move to if you are already married, would a 20s something single mom be bored out of her mind? (I'm not looking for a big nightlife) Also, how would a vegetarian do? Are things such as Morniingstar available? And how clsoe are big stores such as Wal-mart, costco, Nordstrom? Thanks for the help

Old 02-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Also, does anyone have any pix? Is it a pretty place to live? I know it's not like west WA, but are there trees?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:10 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,255,132 times
Generally conservative, but heck, even conservatives have tats these days. Welcome liberals? I reckon it depends upon how liberal...are you a in-your-face-protest-naked-for-PETA-teach-lesbianism-in-schools type liberal? If so, probably not. But, they probably wouldn't be very welcoming to a in-your-face-the government-is-evil-quit-paying-your-taxes-stockpile-guns-build-a-compound conservative either.

The trees that are there were probably planted by someone. The landscape is pretty treeless. The landscape is...vast. You can have some really long sightlines, but there are rolling hills. Brown a lot of the year.

Personally, I think a single mom moving there not knowing anyone would be bored stiff.

The link below goes to a pic taken by Alan Bauer near Connell. He has a lot of Eastern WA pics.
http://www.alanbauer.com/images/Non-...%20WA-Vert.jpg

Old 02-14-2010, 02:09 AM

How easy it is to find a house to rent? What is the general price range? I'm thinking something around 3bdr with a yard (oh and american pit bull terrier friendly ) I don't mind being close to the prison, if I move it would be to work there anyway. If it is hard to find houses to rent in Connell are there any cities that are close by where there might be? I'm very big on nature so the prettier the better.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,255,132 times
Sorry, can't help you on prices.
I really urge you to look for pictures from Connell and southeast Washington online, pull a map out and figure out where those pictures are in relation to Connell. The reason I say that is because many people I know, (especially westsiders)would not consider Connell and the surrounding country "pretty". I disagree, but I like sparse, big empty country.

I used to recruit teachers for a school district in NE Oregon, in country that looked a lot like Connell. My colleagues in SE WA agreed...we didn't have much luck with teachers from Western WA or Western OR. They didn't like the isolation, the emptiness, the distance between small towns and the distance to a city. We had better luck recruiting from Nevada, southern Idaho...other rural, dry areas.

Really consider carefully making this move because it is different.

Personally, I love it that kind of country, but it's sure not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington