Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM

30 posts, read 84,984 times

Advertisements

It's 10 years away, but never to early to start researching for a place.

Currently we live in "The Valley" of California, for the last 20 years. He's lived in Hawaii, Arizona, and Korea (no he's not korean). I've lived in Alaska, Arizona, Texas, New Jersey and South Carolina.

We are looking at Oregon and Washington. We decided not on Northern California due to the high cost of living. We're looking at living where there's nature (for peace), fishing, and have a small communtity that everyone knows everyone. Not looking for a big city, we aren't San Francisco types.

We are not 'high maintenance" type of folks. We have no reason to keep up with "The Jones, next door".

Looking for cooler weather. Rain is good, some snow is good. Don't want the desert type of weather.

We will have 2 grown kids, with us, if they decide to come with us, then we would need to have a place where they can find employment. Thier fields, we don't know, it's too early to tell.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,331,069 times
Dig into your tax implications and THOROUGHLY know the area you will be chosing.

OR is gonna be OUT if you have significant income or are on a tight budget (9% income tax with LOW threshhold) They are also very left and vote lots of stuff in that is VERY expensive. Their state does not have a good financial rating, nor as stable of economy as WA.

WA is no picnic and has a CA wannabee Governor. She has caused thousands of companies to leave (as Governor and previous Dept of Ecology jobs), just as CA did for last 25 yrs. Too expensive to comply with state regs and taxes - no longer competitive, too bad.

AK is a better choice with similar weather

Watch all taxes, I could save $10,000 / yr on property taxes if I was 500 ft up the road (next county, non URBAN, no 'special projects' like Mass Transit / MUCH less regulation & cost on health / sanitation controls).

Based on your criteria, I would take a good look at Stevenson, WA. In the midst of beauty and nature and less than 1 hr to Portland for Airport, entertainment, and tax free shopping. They have a great senior program and a CHEAP bus for shopping and commuting to Vancouver / The Dalles / Hood River. It is very 'down-home' and growing senior population. The original Locals have a bad reputation for Meth and alcohol, but the place is changing. North Bonneville is OK to live, but no services (shopping / edu / medical).

Also look at White Salmon, Goldendale and Trout Lake while you are in the neighborhood. Drier places I would look at Tri-cities and Walla Walla. (note I am staying close to OR border for a reason...WA has high sales tax + you will need to 'escape WA' for attitude adjustments after very vote... only the populous counties get advertising, info, 'cuz they swing the vote (usually wrong) for jobs / farmers / business / property owners.

Other spots I would consider is Wenatchee, Spokane Valley (east side), Colville, Lynden.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-21-2009 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 01:19 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,089,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzzRed View Post
We're looking at living where there's nature (for peace), fishing, and have a small communtity that everyone knows everyone. Not looking for a big city, we aren't San Francisco types.

Looking for cooler weather. Rain is good, some snow is good. Don't want the desert type of weather.

Any suggestions?
I would drop Wenatchee from the list. It is desert.

It is a micro-metropolitan area according to the US Census. Definitely not a small town.

The amount of rural land is limited. Yes, there are orchards, but they are really "INDUSTRIAL AGRICULTURAL AREAS". Noise, pesticide sprays, etc. etc.

Wenatchee is a nice small city. If you want to live in a nice small city I would put Wenatchee back on the list. We do like living in Wenatchee, but it is not for everybody.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,331,069 times
If you want small town in a drier area than the we_t side, and EZ access to the amenities of a city, drop Wenatchee and add Cashmere (few minutes west and a few degrees cooler). The public transit access of that area is gonna be a benefit when fuel prices get to the 'new-normal'

Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 AM

30 posts, read 84,984 times
Thank U'all, that is definetly a start. Will start researching areas that are suggested. Sounds like I can cross Wentchee from my list. I loved living in Phoenix, but rather live in greener pastors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington