Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 07:15 PM

28 posts, read 93,296 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Clinton, Wa. I was wondering if anyone had an suggestions on Universities that are close to Whidbey. I know there is the U of Wa in the Seattle area but I am not sure I want to go through the city traffic to get there. Any other suggestions? How does Western Wa university rate? I am looking for a University that I can finish my BA in Psych at.

Thanks

Courtney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,285,503 times
Western is an excellent School. Harder to get into than UW. It's the 3rd largest University in WA.

I can't speak to the quality of the Psychology Department, but as a school, it's very good. But it's a long distance commute from Clinton. (about 80 miles) Is there a reason why you're moving to Clinton by chance? It's pretty isolated. You have to take a ferry to Mukilteo or drive across the Deception Pass Bridge to get off the island And that's a hike. (About 50 miles).

It's a beautiful place, but it's not exactly close to major schools.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,787 posts, read 58,271,470 times
How far through the process are you? Sounds like you are looking for a college within western side of WA, but as the previous poster mentioned there is a U in Bellingham CALLED Western Wash U. (Which is very good in several majors, but not sure of BA Psych. Need to determine your career / future objectives to recommend best BA program.

I would recommend checking into a 'name-brand' U that has good on-line coverage. Not sure of WA, but MT has good programs due to dispersed population. You will want to assure the course work and program is complementary to your end objectives... Teaching, further EDU, Certifications...You will also want to do some intensive course study at the U. Summer and weekend programs are good options for commuters, and typically w/o extra tuition charges (like 'out of state' $$). I think Eastern OR U has similar programs, but it is not EZ to get to (LaGrande), You can fly EZ to Bozeman, Billings, Salt Lake... to attend class a few times / yr.

Future Students - Bachelor Degrees and Majors Montana
Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services - cehs.usu.edu Utah

British Columbia is also a great choice for various U's. Lots of WA students do that.
Psychology

I can't imagine the BC programs to be as crummy as most US schools (Just finished another advanced degree myself). The status of US schools is not what I would call 'world-class', (JMHO having lived, worked, hired professional technical staff and advised / taught in Europe and Asia)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-03-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 PM

We are moving to the island specifically because it is a rural setting. We currently live in Los Angeles and hate it. We are horse people and are into a rural lifestyle which LA doesn't fit (unless you are extremely rich and you can afford Malibu Canyon or Paso Robles). My husband grew up on the island so it is a homecoming for him. Ill work out the school issue. Just wanted some options from other WA natives. My husband said that the closest school would be U of WA. GRRR...I am leaving LA to get out of the traffic so I'm not thrilled to have to go into Seattle for school. You do what you have to do right?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,787 posts, read 58,271,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roharajustification View Post
...I'm not thrilled to have to go into Seattle for school. You do what you have to do right?
There are plenty of options besides going to Seattle. So if you are 'traffic-averse' (as I am), then there is no reason to think that would be 'doing-what-you-have-to-do'. That is for serious stuff like becoming a caregiver, and quitting life as you know it to provide 100% of you, for someone else. There are many things in life that are without choice. I would have to guess you have not been called to those situations yet.

You didn't let us know how far you are through the process OR what you are looking for as a result, so we can't suggest your best options.

Hello? Anyone home?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM

I am looking to finish my BA in Psych. I have a completed AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington