Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 07:12 AM

45 posts, read 175,371 times

Advertisements

I have about $425,000 to spend on a home.
I like newer built properties and we have a 9 year old son (4th grade). What are the areas (subdivisions) that I would be able to purchase a nice home as well as a great school district?

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,
Carol

Last edited by kirbsdc; 09-04-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,321,300 times
Fairhaven is really nice and has a great school district. South Hill is high price locale, but with your budget you shouldn't have a lot of trouble finding something that will suit you. Especially, since prices are falling and people are leaving the area (including investors).

Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,552 times
CAROL........

In MY opinion, the best area of Bellingham for you to check out would be NE Bellingham. Just north of and around Silver Beach, east Barkley Blvd. Britton Road, Squalicum High School area.....or the Geneva neighborhood, east of town and along the southshore of Lk. Whatcom. Maybe Sudden Valley or Fairhaven too. Sudden Valley has its upside but its downside could be the thickness of the forest there (DARKNESS), mold issues? Little sunshine able to get through the DENSE forest canopy here......and the steepness of many streets/driveways. But....it IS GORGEOUS.
PLENTY of houses on the market to look into and you should DEFINITELY find something in one of these areas, in your price range.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 24,000 times
For $425,000, you can buy just about anywhere in Bellingham. It depends on what kind of property you want, since there's a wide range. Downtown and Fairhaven have some nice new urban condos, while the Mt Baker and Cordata neighborhoods have most of the new single-family developments.

In respect to previous replies, South Hill and Sudden Valley have very little new housing available. Most of South Hill dates from the 1910s or so, while Sudden Valley from the 70s.

For more helpful replies, be more specific.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,652,844 times
The best schools in Bellingham are on the south side. Test scores support my contentions.

The neighborhoods to that end would be as aforementioned. South Hill, Samish (Padden) and Lake Samish, Fairhaven, Edgemore,

http://bellinghamschools.org/sites/default/files/district/documents/Elementary0910.pdf (broken link)

I personally would shy away from Sudden Valley. There are some lovely homes out there. But the lack of sun and proximity to town are real issues.

You might even look along the northern part of Chuckanut. There's some incredible homes out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington