Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 03:35 AM

14 posts, read 61,069 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

My wife and I currently live in my hometown in the Netherlands where I was born and raised. Before that we lived in Gilbert, AZ for 3 years, which is also where our 3 year old daughter was born.

We have family living in Edmonds, WA and we've visited them a few times. My wife and daughter are currently on vacation there and her mom showed her a house that she purchased as an investment. It's a townhome on the border of Edmonds and Mukilteo.

Basically, she offered the house to us as a place to start if we decide to come back to the States. This is obviously a very nice opportunity, but I'm a little hesitant about the area.

Can anyone tell me what it's like to live there? Expenses, weather, things to do, schools, etc? I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 07:58 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,393 times
It can be a great area to raise a family. It's close to the water and has some great parks with beaches, kite flying, hiking trails and gorgeous sunset views - lots of fun things to do with a child. As far as neighborhoods, there are pockets that are very nice (million dollar + homes) and pockets that are not as nice (run-down), so really depends on the neighborhood.

In general, it is primarily quiet and residential. Quiet, unless you are underneath a flight path. There is an airport, Paine Field, in the area. It does not provide commercial air service but Boeing uses it for it's jet test flights. Other than that, it's mostly small private planes, Fed Ex flights, etc. Not terribly busy like a regional airport, but something to keep in mind when you are looking at location.

The closer you are to highway 99 (and the airport), the less-desirable the neighborhood is. The further west you are, the closer you are to the water, and views and it improves. The worst area is between highway 99 and the airport.

There is a large development of expensive homes and condos called Harbour Pointe. This is a good area to be around. Harbour Pointe has brought a lot deal of prosperity that wasn't there 30 years ago. The Mukilteo School District schools are new and well staffed and look nice on the outside. If the neighborhood is served by the Edmonds School District, the schools are not as nice and are much older, but not terrible (just not the best, either).

There is a small freeway that connects to 405 and I-5 and Alderwood Mall which makes it much less isolated than it could be. There are several grocery stores, restaurants, service outlets and a medical clinic close by.

Mukilteo also has a great family center called the YMCA. They offer swimming lessons, children's sports, activities, etc.

Both downtown Edmonds and "Old Town" Mukilteo are really cute, too.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:09 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,529 times
Secret_squirrel is abosolutely right, Mukilteo is a great little city for raising a family. In addition to everything previously mentioned I would add that you have to consider the ferry access and traffic as a part of living there. Mukilteo beach is a fun but rocky, Picnic Point is a bit better it offers more sand to play in. The homes near the water are definately nicer and better and avoiding anything too close to Highway 99 and Airport Way (128th) would be wise. Overall I thing Mukilteo is a great growing little city if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: