Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 74,926 times

Advertisements

Hi.

Me and a friend are going to USA this summer. So, we are looking for summer jobs in the USA. We are students and we will be staying from may to august. We will have the J1 visa and all the necesary papers to get a job. We are from Colombia.

Any help to get a job will be appreciated. Links? Emails?

Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 AM

550 posts, read 3,265,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilycoyote View Post
Hi.

Any help to get a job will be appreciated. Links? Emails?

You might get more replies if you can give some specifics. What types of jobs are you looking for? What kind of pay? What area? If you don't give us some details, we can't help you out.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:48 PM

We will be there just for summer. Im planning to rent a small room for this 3 months and thats it. Where do I want live? I dont know, i've never been in washington before.

I studied advertising and have 1 year of experience. Would be great to find a job in an advertising company, but I think its a little hard to find a job in an advertising company for just 3 months, so Im thinking of jobs like bartender or waitress...something easy to find.

What do you think?

Thankyou

Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
We will be there just for summer. Im planning to rent a small room for this 3 months and thats it. Where do I want live? I dont know, i've never been in washington before.

I studied advertising and have 1 year of experience. Would be great to find a job in an advertising company, but I think its a little hard to find a job in an advertising company for just 3 months, so Im thinking of jobs like bartender or waitress...something easy to find.

What do you think?

Thankyou
Good luck with that. Very few employers are willing to hire and train someone who will only be around for a maximum of three months. You might have better luck looking around at temp agencies. They hire people for short term projects where companies don't want or need to hire for permanent positions.

Also, you won't be able to work as a bartender unless you're at least 21 here in the states.

I STRONGLY recommend having a place to live set up before you get here, unless you plan on living in a hotel for a while. And many rental places in the summer time are more expensive and will require credit checks. If you're from out of the country and will only be here for a very limited time, you might have difficulty finding a landlord willing to rent to you.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 AM

Diggitydot thankyou,

A job in the ad industry would be great, but I know how hard it is to get one for 3 months. Anyway where do I look for this temp agencies? Any specialized directory in the web? I guess there's not...

So I've been thinking about bartender or any summer job of this type. Im 23. My question is about any site in the web or link where I can ask directly to someone about this kind of jobs and rooms to rent for.

Thankyou again.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Diggitydot thankyou,

So I've been thinking about bartender or any summer job of this type. Im 23. My question is about any site in the web or link where I can ask directly to someone about this kind of jobs and rooms to rent for.

Thankyou again.
Each city will have several temp agencies. Once you figure out which city you'll be staying in, check online to see what the temp agencies in that area are.

No, restaurants and bars don't hire people from online resumes or ads. They don't usually need to advertise for people. Another thing to consider is that some bars will only hire bartenders who've been trained by the local liquor enforcement authority. (In Oregon, it's the OLCC or Oregon Liquor Control Commission.)

As for rooms to rent, are you looking for rooms in private residences, hotels, motels, hostels, or something else? That'll help to narrow down your search.

Really, you need to get your plan together soon. Pick a town and figure out your budget and go from there. When you have at least a city in mind, you will then have a MUCH easier time finding everything else. Smaller towns will be cheaper to live, but have fewer jobs. Larger towns will have MANY more job opportunities, but a higher cost of living. You just need to figure out which is more important for your trip.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 47,001 times
hello i m a foreign students too who has j-1 visa . i have worked in ALaska 3 summers. If u wanna make more money u can prefer to work in Alaska. it s a choice, think

Good luck

Old 03-18-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourguy View Post
hello i m a foreign students too who has j-1 visa . i have worked in ALaska 3 summers. If u wanna make more money u can prefer to work in Alaska. it s a choice, think

Good luck
That's definitely a consideration. But research this opportunity very carefully. Many of the jobs available in Alaska can be dangerous, the cost of living is prohibitively high, and simply getting there can be one heck of an adventure.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,765 times
Oilycoyote,

You might want to consider living in Ilwaco during the summer and hiring onto a commercial fishing crew there. The boats usually only go out for the day and return in the early evening. It's a hard job, but it pays well.

Good Luck!
Sandy

Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,607 times
Hi, my friend and I (we are all boys) are looking for summer job in the USA. We are students from Belarus (Belarusion State University, 2nd course, law faculty). We are going to arrive to USA on 1'st of June 2009. We have a great experience in some kind of jobs (as a Maintenance/Grounds Keeper, Painter,Housekeeper, Cook assistant) . Also we are very diligent, hard-working, strong-built, neat and sociable persons. We have advanced computer skills and also swim very well (get the best of some competition in the University). If you are interested in, please write a email to: serg0@tut.by (Sergey Stasilovich) and Tolexby@narod.ru (Anatoliy Mitsura). Thanking you in anticipation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: