Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 75,198 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I will be visiting Washington in late April. After reading countless visitor guides and websites, I still have a few questions regarding Mount Rainier and Mount St. Helens. I tried calling the monument headquarters several times, but only heard recorded messages.

Mount Rainier: Is Route 706 open year-round, specifically in late April? Is it doable to go to Mt. Rainier AND Mt. St. Helens in one day and returning to Federal Way at night. I only plan on stopping for an hour or two to get in some pictures - not much hiking/etc.

Mt. St. Helens: For a couple mostly interesting in taking in the sights and for photos, do you recommend coming down Route 504 or NF-25? I will want to come straight from Mt. Rainier, but it seems most of the visitor centers are on Route 504. Is there another way to go to both without trekking back towards I-5? Or will NF-25 be open at this time of the year and be sufficient to see/photograph the mountain?

Olympia/Tacoma: Worth stopping by to these cities?

Snoqualmie Falls: Worth visiting these falls? Anything else to see in the area or off Route 18 from Federal Way?

Thanks in advance for your advice/recommendations and looking forward to visiting your beautiful state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Mountain roads are long and twisty with plenty of water and maybe slick spots in April. I would think your trip is very ambitious for one day and think it would be more enjoyable in two.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM

392 posts, read 1,556,888 times
Definately wouldn't try it in a day. I'm not sure about which roads are open, but it wouldn't be worth just driving by.
Tacoma isn't really worth visiting, nor is Olympia unless you're really going to spend some time and enjoy them. Great museums in Tacoma, and Pt Defiance Park is amazing. Ruston waterfront is a great walk.
Snoqualmie Falls is well worth visiting, and you can poke around Mt Si while you're out that way.
Personally, if at all possible, I'd extend my trip and really visit the areas...it's an amazing spot.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I doubt if the road to Hurricane ridge (East side of Mt St Helens) is open yet (Snow)...(since we had 2 " this morning at my much lower elevation....again...been a long winter...). There is no visitor's center or services on the east side. It is a close-up view of Spirit lake and the tree fall area is interesting to see the blast pattern. You can't really see in the crater from the east (As you can from Cold Water (West), but it is really far away from mtn, compared to Hurricane ridge (up-close) and in the serious blast zone.

I find it is about a 12 hr trip to do both mtns. (in good weather) so if you leave before dawn and get home late you can do it. That includes about an hour at each mtn, and an hour hiking at Longmire. Be sure to fit this place in Dan Klennert's Spirits of Iron (free).

I would also consider staying in the Packwood Hotel. It is cheap and worth the experience (and between the two mtns). The Hiking at Longmire (SE Rainier Park) is really nice on a cloudy or a HOT day. Hike to the falls, they should be terrific, if not snowed in.

If it is a cloudy day, you might not see much in the Mtns. (sometimes it is clear on top, but.... risky to expect that)

The main visitors centers for Mt St Helens are from Castle Rock (I-5, west side) They are worth the trip (bring your annual pass, as they are now 'fee').

Plan ahead and watch the weather and have variable plans for the PNW

Old 04-04-2009, 07:09 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,085 times
I think janb meant Coldwater Ridge, not Hurricaine Ridge (Hurricaine Ridge is in the Olympics)

Johnston Ridge is the best St. Helens visitor center, but it is a long drive from Rainier, at the opposite end.

That's A LOT of driving. There used to be a great access point from the Rainier side at Windy Ridge, but bad winter mudslides washed out the road and as far as I know, it's still closed.

Rainier will have lots of snow in late April. Barring an unexpected warming trend, many of the passes will still be closed, especially since it's been such a cold spring. Plan your route carefully.

I've never driven both mountains in one day because they are both full trips, but from my layman's pespective, I think your only option will be to drive up to Paradise via Hwy 7, and take the Elbe-Morton cutoff towards 1-5, then head back east again towards Johnston Ridge. Lots of windy roads. If you start early enough you might be able to do it. Use the mapquest timetable as a general guide.

And check road closures at the http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ website.

Last edited by secret_squirrel; 04-04-2009 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: add wsdot link

Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
An important point: "good weather" occurs in July and August. The rest of the year, at elevation all kinds of weather can block your passage including avalanches, state-controlled avalanche control activities, and huge trees that have fallen across the roads. This week, even low elevations received a few to several inches of snow. Last year our last snow occured in late April, meaning that the roads on those two mountains still had snow in late May. If the roads have not been cleared, to drive in such conditions requires either studded tires or cable chains, and often lots of practice and courage.

I mention all that to reinforce the recommendations by previous posters that planning to go to both mountsins in one day in April would be, if doable, a superficial, almost pointless, experience in good weather, and quite likely not possible in rains, wind and snow. I think you'd have a more enjoyable experience either choosing one mountain or spending two days. For sheer beauty -- if you can see it -- and massive presence, I definitely recommend Mt. Rainier.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:09 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Live up by Mt Rainier - years ago I did the tour for family of both mountains (mind you this was summer) from Federal Way to Rainier and over to Mt St Helens - good weather good roads then - left at 8 am and was miserable tired back to Federal Way at Midnight...... would never do it again.

Again did the tour for out of state friend last week - Landed in my old stomping grounds of Ashford/Elbe last Sat night and got - 18 inches of snow overnight in town - most will melt off by today as the weather has been wonderful but there was still around 9 feet in Longmire and Paradise closed with a completely stupid tourist upside down in middle of road driving too fast - luckily no one hurt- but you never know what is gonna happen. Should be open to Paradise by end of month I believe being plowed today - new vistor center is so much nicer than used to be - It will still be covered in snow end of month. From Ashford to Paradise is around 30 miles an hour and 30 miles alone..... Grove of Patriots on Packwood side is great - hopefully snow gone by end of month. Usually the last snow of season in Ashford - Easter am - always felt bad for the kids in Easter egg hunt on school grounds in snow -- not much for hiding them!!!

Skate creek or road 52 cut off between Ashford - and Packwood will be a long time before open - lots of slides so no go on that short cut - till maybe this summer. Didn't make it to Mt St Helens also due to snow - although hopefully it will be open by end of the month! You wont make it across Chinook pass in park either till summer.

It is a long drive from Ashford to Castle Rock over to Morton and back to 1-5 .... It can be done but including back to Federal Way I really dont recommend you try it....but you will get back after midnight most likley.... save yourself and spend the night on the way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington