Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,934 times

Advertisements

I grew up in kapowsin and lived in spanaway as a teenager, I have lived all over western washington ( Stadium district, parkland, spanaway, edgewood) as an adult. I moved to eastern washington in the end of 2006 to go to school but I have to move sooner than I was planning due to my mom getting very sick. My husband and I are both students, we are going to do our last year of school through the distance degree program at our school to make this move possible. I am a little concerned about how difficult it is going to be to find a rental in our situation (moving across the state, no job, grants/loans as only "income") but I am assuming that other students manage to find places to live when they don't have jobs so there must be a way...

My mom lives in the 98445 zip code and I would like to be reasonably close to her because I am moving in large part to help care for her. At the same time I have a 3 year old daughter so I need to live somewhere safe.
We really would prefer to have a place with a garage and a yard. Our upper limit on rent is about $1200/mo. I have been looking on craigs list but it seems like most of the rentals for under $1200 a month are in east tacoma. My mom says that is not a good place to live. Anywhere within 30-45 minutes of her house should be fine.

Anyone have any advice on how to find a rental? I know some people don't like spanaway but my memories of it aren't that bad. It seems like the houses in spanaway are pretty expensive for the quality of neighbrood though.

We don't really want to live in an apartment. I have asthma and having to deal with smoking makes my life miserable so it is easier just to get a house or a duplex that doesn't allow smoking indoor or out.

We are going to look for a place next weekend. Any tips on what neighborhoods to look in while we are there? Does the place I am looking for exist? (Duplex or house 2+bedroom, garage, fenced yard, allows cats under $1200/mo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,935 times
Default reply

east tacoma is yuck... have someone drive around for you and LOOK.... you will find something... NEGOTIATE ... People are HURTING around here, DO NOT be afraid to offer LESS .... for months rent... I was an appraiser for awhile and property here is not what it was. People want to make ends meet..... there are signs up, "for rent" ... I see them as I drive my son from puyallup to tacoma to private school..... you can find something. If you want I will help look for you. Don't settle for East Tac

Old 03-30-2009, 04:00 AM

103 posts, read 784,288 times
PLU area in parkland is full of student rentals.Spanaway and Parkland both have plenty of rental signs posted all over.There are new 2 story duplexes sprinkled all through the area.South Hill area is close to your mom.From 112Th and canyon down 112th towards the south hill mall and down meridian is clean and safe.
South Hill, WA Real Estate Rental and Roommate Agencies Yahoo! Yellow Pages

Old 04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,668,408 times
I live in the Spanaway area. Specifically Frederickson, it seems nice and safe. I would just check around that area, stay away from the parts near Pacific Ave. Go towards Canyon Road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington