Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:57 AM
rsr rsr started this thread

10 posts, read 48,713 times

Advertisements

I would greatly appreciate any info from residents of Klickitat or anyone who is familiar with the town of Klickitat concerning the year round weather, community life, facilities such as supermarket(s), video rental store(s), gas station(s), restaurant(s), etc. My wife and I are currently in contact with a realtor in Goldendale about a lot in Klickitat but the realtor of course is very eager to sell so only tells me positive things. I would like to know the merits and demerits of living in Klickitat as we plan to make it our retirement home and last home until we go on to higher pastures. The property (sight unseen, only a photo of the river taken from the property. We live out of the country due to my work but will be retiring soon. Our first and only granchild, so far, (will be 1 in March) lives in Hillsboro, OR. So, we thought it might be only about 2 hours to Klickitat from Hillsboro. We want to live in a small, quiet community close to nature. According to the realtor, the lot is a farm land, with trees and lot size is 124.51 x 96.63 (how big is this in terms of acre?) I am not a gardner. I would rather have a rock garden with few fruit trees, no front or back lawns to water and mow. We like hiking, fishing (trout), an avid reader and a home (DVD) enthusiast. Will appreciate any positive or negative info about Klickitat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 AM

29 posts, read 96,201 times
Hello RSR-

I first off need to say that i have never lived on Goldendale- However I have a couple answers to your questions.

124.51 x 96.63 is a bit over a quarter of an acre. (.267) Just for your future knowledge, an acre is 43,560 sq ft.

As for Goldendale, I have some very good friends that lived there and loved it. The town is small and there is not the convienience of a major city, however from what I know it is a good community and great fruit stands.

My personal experience is DO NOT SPEED! not even 5-10 miles over. I used to dive to Ellensburg from Portland. I was pulled over 2x and saw law enforcement every trip! (1-2x per month trips) I am not a fast driver, but the roads are straight and not a lot of traffic... Many friends made the same trip with the same story. -Bad if you speed, good if you don't- Personally it is nice to know that they are there looking out (as long as they are not after little ol me )

Goldendale is on the top of a large hill that goes down to the Columbia river. The area is mostly flat farm land. After you leave town on 97, the elevation begins to climb again. They do get some snow...

Old 02-12-2007, 09:19 AM
rsr rsr started this thread

10 posts, read 48,713 times
Hi Spendid,

Thank you for the info about Goldendale. I will make sure not to speed on the country roads or main highways in that area.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr View Post
I would greatly appreciate any info from residents of Klickitat or anyone who is familiar with the town of Klickitat concerning the year round weather, community life, facilities such as supermarket(s), video rental store(s), gas station(s), restaurant(s), etc. ... I would like to know the merits and demerits of living in Klickitat as we plan to make it our retirement home and last home until we go on to higher pastures. The property (sight unseen, only a photo of the river taken from the property. We live out of the country due to my work but will be retiring soon. ... Will appreciate any positive or negative info about Klickitat.

Klickitat town is about 30 minutes sw of Goldendale. Nice peaceful curvy valley gets there from Lyle (Columbia River). It is a very depressed and potentially still declining town. (mill now defunct). Most homes in town are not very nice ($80k), but... on the outskirts there are very nice cabins. ($500k) The grocery was pretty beat up and closed a few yrs ago, there is a small convenience store and bar, not sure there is gas available. There are two churches, so... I'd drop them a line or give a call to get in touch with a local person (it is easy to find someone in a church to give you a truthful discussion and not bother with religious speak). I live 1.5 hrs away, but go through often, last time 2 days ago. ( I keep some of my 25 Diesel VW's in Goldendale) shopping would be in The Dalles or Hood River (40 min, b-cuz you are between the two bridges) You would most likely be doing a Costco run monthly while in Hillsboro. If Low cost is essential, and remote is not an issue then Klickitat might be ok (I'd worry about meth problem / robbery) I'd be more inclined to seek out the White Salmon > Trout Lake area (40 min west / closer to Hillsboro) but it is quite spendy at the moment. Goldendale proper is ok, but is pretty remote and 'back-woods', ~40 min to The dalles as well. It is high prairie with distant mountain views, but... remember your commute $$ (I cringe about that even with my 50 mpg fleet) I recently did a comprehensive spreadsheet that included prop taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, commute expenses, (even tho I won't be working, I will be driving to town for parts / swimming / groc...) and I included a factor for Real estate capital costs and value escalation. Unfortunately for me, the closer in; but rural were ultimately less expensive (I can't do traffic...and am a 'prairie kid', and was hoping to go 'dry out') Goldendale and White Salmon / Hood River and Parkdale were included in my costs. Currently the desirable spots are way high priced, and it is gonna take serious shopping to improve on our location. (National scenic area... no (very limited) new growth, 3 minutes of paved road to a nice highway, 20 min to airport but 30 minutes to a swimming pool no one in front of our 50 mile view, and 'reasonable' neighbors nearby.)
I'll be looking for a few very sparsely populated spots, unfortunately still in CGNSA (National Scenic area).

The Klickitat river is great, as it is one of the few remaining 'wild' rivers in PNW. Not sure how good the fly fishing is, as it gets some torrential flows in the spring, and has a pretty 'clean' bottom. There are lots of folks who fish it, but it is far enough away to not have lots of pressure. I would think the lakes around Mt Adams would keep you busy, and they are beautiful, quiet and remote (just beware of 'Skamaniacs' - 'Meth producers / weed growers' They set some ugly (and effective) booby-traps, but not usually in 'public' areas.

Drop me a line, as we have a 'Guest home' and can host on your next visit. (till the tax man gets our home )

You sound like a candidate for my 'Plan-B'... have a nice cozy home + guest house with large shop on acreage that we rent / share expenses between 2 couples so someone is home to watch the place, and each can travel extended times internationally and around US. We have friends on Vanc Island BC who have done that and it works great. Each couple have their own place, and each share garden and shop and expenses and gains.
They have a barn and pasture for 'borrowing' a horse when the grandkids come, and there is a beach and creek 5 minutes down the road...

We've lived and worked in Asia, Europe and Canada, and ended up 'retired' pre-50 - now for a health care solution... (city of Klickitat not good for that...~ 30-40 minutes to closest ambulance + that much time back to hospital.... my son does 'rural trama' so gets lots of trips out into these parts)

Old 05-24-2009, 11:53 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
In small-town Washington, I can't imagine a more pathetic place than Klickitat. It has zero economic basis beyond fishing and hunting tourism. It has become a haven for 'welfare families'. It can and does flood, blocking off all ways in or out of town except for over the mountains (have fun with that in winter, which is when the flooding typically occurs) or by helicopter. It's been on life support ever since the mill closed, and the sooner the plug comes out, the better.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,718 times
I would have to diagree with these other post. Klickitat is a small community and it has gone down hill a little since the mill shut down, but its not as pathetic as people make it sound. The whole town is really close and everyone knows everyone. There is a feeling of security there, knowing who lives next door and who lives up the hill. There is a Post Office, Gas Station, Bar, and the Grocery store, Canyon Market, is open again and running fine. The school system is really great and the 40 minute drive to The Dalles, OR. is absolutly beautiful so it doesnt take as long as you would think. Goldendale is only 30 minutes away. You do get to see wildlife all around you and the river is perfect for floating, swimming, and fishing. Summer is amazing there. Perfect weather for anything you would want to do. When there is a lot of snow melting then yes the roadways can flood but if you get to know the people, everyone will help eachother with what they need so its not like youve been abandoned. There are drugs in the town as well but what town doesnt have them? If you dont want to be around it you dont have to and really you dont see it unless you look really hard to see it. I think that the community is awesome and it may have some faults but the good things make up for the faults.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,677 times
Hello there, found this site by looking for another small town... All I have to say is that I love Goldendale, Lyle, Stevenson, and have only passed thru Klickitat a couple of times. If you like a few more conveniences, check out the other towns. Goldendale has a lot of retired people, a hospital, nice fair grounds that puts on a great rodeo in the summer, it is a nice little town as are the others. When I passed thru Klickitat it seemed "real small" but didn't look like a horrible place, just quaint and a little "tired"? I love small towns though and the people in them. The pace is so much slower than the city, and if you love the city, the Dalles Oregon and Hood River, they are medium sized towns, are not to far away, Portland is 130 miles approx. from Goldendale. There is also the beautiful Gorge to consider, it is awesome... there is the Maryhill Winery on the cliffs outside of Goldendale, with beautiful views, concerts, the Maryhill Museum, things that are very laid back and enjoyable. Good luck and hope this was helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington