Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 PM

58 posts, read 312,183 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have done a search on here and read the most recent threads regarding Lynnwood. My husband is considering a position in Lynnwood. We currently live outside of Las Vegas in Henderson. I would like to find a bedroom type community that would accomodate him working in Lynnwood but schools and family area's are more inportant than the distance to his office. We would like to stay around 600K for at least a 4 bedroom. Our boys are 8 and 10 and one of them uses a wheelchair full time so accessibilty for him usually means places with newer construction. Any ideas of area's for families in this price range are appreciated. Thoughts on if we should consider spending a little more to get in a better area as well? We have never lived in any environment other than desert cities so this will be a huge change for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 01:09 PM

75 posts, read 344,477 times
HI. I have a very good friend who moved from Henderson. She loves it here! You may want to rent for a year to see what areas you like. I would recommed Mill Creek, Bothell, Snohomish( more of the mailing address) and Mukilteo. Those are where the best schools in the north end are. These are very family friendly communities. You will certainly find alot for 600k. Most will be 500k+. Are you looking for more of a ranch style home for your son? There are not alot of 1 story houses here. You can find them, but they are harder to find.

A family friend has a daughter in a wheelchair, and they sent her to Heatherwood MS, and Jackson HS. They said it was great for accessibility for their daughter. They now live in Texas. Both of those schools are newer and are located in Mill Creek. The Snohomish area has 2 brand new schools opening. A Elem, and HS. This is 4 miles from Mill Creek. I would look for houses in the zip codes... 98012, 98296 ( neighborhoods willow creek, gold creek, and the falls), and 98075. Mukilteo has great schools too. I hope this helps. I would be happy to give you any other info you need. I lived in Bothell/Mill Creek my entire childhood. I then lived in AZ for 5 years, and now back. So I can offer a unique and hopefully helpful perspective.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:07 PM

58 posts, read 312,183 times
Thanks so much for your help!!! I will start looking into those areas asap. I was born and raised in AZ Small world! I would like to avoid a two story if possible. Thankfully my son can ambulate around the house and smaller areas but needs his chair for school, malls, etc. So, I read the average snowfall is around 6 inches a year? Sounds minimal but I have never lived anywhere but the deserts. What will most likely be the most shocking...besides the color green?

Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Mom View Post
What will most likely be the most shocking...besides the color green?
We moved from the high desert in SoCal to Grays Harbor county. I have a grandmother who lives in Lynnwood and seems to like it. One thing you may do, and I found other like this, is you understand that to get the color green you have the get the wet stuff... ie rain. It does rain a lot and but you get a lot of breaks in the rain. When those breaks happen you find yourself outside doing all those chores you need to do outside and do them quickly before it rains again. In our old place in SoCal we didnt have to worry about the rain like that and guess what, we put project after project on hold and said we'll "do it later". The nice weather made us procrastinate. The rain makes us act.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:42 PM

75 posts, read 344,477 times
THE RAIN! It does rain. It keeps everyhting beautiful. I do miss AZ and the sun. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,966 times
Smile Lynnwood from Henderson

Hello, I just found your question after a search I was doing and I thought I might be able to help you. I moved from Green Valley about 7 years ago to Lynnwood. I used to be a high school teacher at Green Valley high school. Now I am a real estate agent and I live in Lynnwood. As far as neighborhoods go, I have 3 homes in Lynnwood, 2 that I rent out. I love the area and it's conveneince to everything. I have a son also and we like that we can do lots of child friendly activities. As far as housing goes, it sounds like you are looking for a 1 story home, and most new homes being built that are 5 bedrooms are 2 story homes. In the price range you are looking you can also consider having a home built suit if you have a lot already. I work with a lot of new construction and I also know of a home that is going to be built within the next year and it is a rambler which will be priced around 600. These are hard to come by and when we put them on the market they go quickly, but I would be happy to get you some more info. Another option is to get something before it is built and consider having a home elevator installed. They are more reasonable in price than you might think. I would be happy to send you more information on neighborhoods and homes if you would like.

Megan Bergerson

Old 12-27-2007, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,037 times
Default Everett or Lynnwood

Hi guys! My husband is getting a job working for the Everett Herlad, so we're moving our family from Central Valley, CA up to WA. I have two small children but want a safe nieghborhood. Any suggestions? I've never even been to washington, but I heard it's a beautiful state. We can't wait for the change. Just wondering what towns to look at to rent first then buy eventually, and what areas in those towns are safest. Any help would be nice. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM

42 posts, read 213,045 times
I would suggest not living within the Edmonds School District which covers most of Lynnwood. I have a relative who teaches there and does not speak highly of the administration. Honestly, if you're looking to pay around $600K, I'd consider Woodinville, Mill Creek, and Bothell. Woodinville and Bothell are within the Northshore school district. Mill Creek is within the Everett School district. You say your son is in a wheelchair the majority of time and I don't know the extent of his disability but if he has other special needs, the Northshore District has a good reputation for special education programs. Honestly, if I was looking for a home under $600K I would definitely NOT look to buy in Lynnwood. Mill Creek and Bothell would be easy commutes. Woodinville is more east and would add time to the commute. HTH!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Well this post is from, almost, a year ago... but for anyone reading this and making moving decisions... I agree wholeheartedly with the post above me who says to stay out of the Edmonds School District, but also, if you have a child with special needs - IN PARTICULAR - you do NOT want to be in Edmonds. Period.

If your child has special needs, you really ONLY need to consider Lake Washington or North Shore... period.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
I'm from So Cal and Sacramento - both very hot places just like Las Vegas

And the thing I noticed most is the CLOUDS...not rain. It is cloudy and cold (under 50 / 40 degrees) about 10 months of the year. There is no spring - and June is still in the 50s and probably cloudy and raining.

I got S.A.D, please be aware it's very real up here - and it effects people from sunny warm areas of the country more then the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington