Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

14,700 posts, read 12,369,832 times

Advertisements

^ I don't think such a place really exists any more if it ever did.

It's a movie cliché.

People often find whatever they bring with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

1,691 posts, read 2,733,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
^ I don't think such a place really exists any more if it ever did.

It's a movie cliché.

People often find whatever they bring with them.
Well if you are personally a local, and live in a place you went to high school and have family roots in the area, you won't experience it because...you're already a local. Plus, small towns in WA vary and they're not all the same.

"You find what you bring with you" is kind of a cliche... like "bloom where you're planted." People find usually find what's there and some people do better with it than others.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

14,700 posts, read 12,369,832 times
I regularly visit a lot of the small towns around here, and when I walk in to a local diner or bar not one of them cares who I am or where I came from or how long I've been there, nor do they shun the many people who sign up to the local facebook group saying they just moved here and are looking for a good vet/contractor/auto repair/restaurant. They just don't. They'll get more suggestions than they want, probably. As long as you're not there to complain...

"Finding what you bring with you" just means if you come in with an attitude of mistrust and judgment, people probably pick up on that and return it. On the other hand, if you walk into a diner and say you're new to the area and want to know what's good, people are plenty eager to help you. Just like they would be anywhere.

The idea that everyone even KNOWS who's local and who isn't, and sits out in the front intimidating the new folk, is a movie cliche.

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

1,984 posts, read 892,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
I think CalWorth might be discussing small town WA, where people have lived a long time and it takes about 50 years before you're considered to not be an outsider, but can never truly be a local. But you can get into purgatory where you're kind of accepted after a few decades if you play your cards right.
Mayfair gets it.

But in fairness to locals, a couple of the worst experiences I had here were with California transplants. But they had lived places other than CA & WA, & while living my life in SoCal, I would not have encountered snakes like them in my daily life So, there's that.

And, the rain is awesome!

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

1,984 posts, read 892,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You mean--Forks? OK, I could see that. But Forks isn't exactly brimming with job centers, either.

I am not talking about Forks.

Old Today, 08:24 PM

13,150 posts, read 7,642,881 times
North Bend.
Today had a bus adventure (Redmond-Duvall-Snoqualmie/NorthBend) to Snoqualmie Falls, but decided to continue on to North Bend (Twin Peaks, base of Mount Si). Bus terminated at the Senior Center. Almost noon, and was invited to have a senior lunch. Friendly bunch. Walked the downtown area, the outlet mall. The guys next to me were mainframe guys from Seattle. Lot of stores looking to hire.
I returned by bus; NorthBend-Issaquah-Seattle-Redmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington