Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 02:37 AM

1,984 posts, read 892,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
The OP should note that IMO,

People in Western Washington are not very much into "community" and keep to themselves.
Yep, true, & a hard lesson to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2024, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
"full suite of recommendations"? No, but I'll note that the towns you mentioned, Ellensburg is in Kittitas county, and Centralia is in Lewis county. Both counties went for Trump, in 2020.
So, the OP being a "lean left", the other 'suite' of towns may be more desirable to the OP. I don't know. I didn't and won't research them. But politics was certainly a big consideration for us.
Oh, goody, is there going to be some action on this forum? It's been dead for years!

Old 05-31-2024, 05:05 AM

3,716 posts, read 2,451,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Yep, true, & a hard lesson to learn.
I never realized this until I moved to the East Coast and then lived in Los Angeles and South Florida.

Old 05-31-2024, 01:37 PM

868 posts, read 1,073,835 times
Quote:
Oh, goody, is there going to be some action on this forum? It's been dead for years!
What action? Or, are you just trolling?

Old 05-31-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I never realized this until I moved to the East Coast and then lived in Los Angeles and South Florida.
Yep. Moving from California was traumatic, major culture shock. Also the passive-aggressivity. But, hey, it's green!

Old 06-01-2024, 04:52 AM

3,716 posts, read 2,451,493 times
Quote:
Yep. Moving from California was traumatic, major culture shock. Also the passive-aggressivity. But, hey, it's green!
Yes, the passive-aggressive mentality and behavior is very, very, common here.

I used to be that way when I look back....

I still witness it from the people I visit that are still in my home-town.

This passive-aggressive mind-set also comes with little to no verbal communication. I just assume (therefore know) the reason of something allegedly done or said is why people act this way, although they almost never vocalize it.

Old 06-01-2024, 08:31 AM

102,353 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
The OP should note that IMO,

People in Western Washington are not very much into "community" and keep to themselves.
I think there are exceptions, like Port Townsend and maybe Sequim. And possibly Bellingham in some ways (there's a happening bookstore scene, and there must be other ways in which locals connect over mutual interests). Places like Orcas Island (for those who can afford it), where the year-round population is small enough that everyone knows everyone. (In a good way.)

Old 06-01-2024, 08:33 AM

102,353 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:

This passive-aggressive mind-set also comes with little to no verbal communication. I just assume (therefore know) the reason of something allegedly done or said is why people act this way, although they almost never vocalize it.
I never ran into that in Seattle. But I wasn't a social butterfly, so maybe I just didn't have occasion to encounter it.

Old 06-01-2024, 08:58 AM

14,700 posts, read 12,369,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think there are exceptions, like Port Townsend and maybe Sequim. And possibly Bellingham in some ways (there's a happening bookstore scene, and there must be other ways in which locals connect over mutual interests). Places like Orcas Island (for those who can afford it), where the year-round population is small enough that everyone knows everyone. (In a good way.)

There's a LOT of exceptions to this idea that people around here don't socialize and know their neighbors. We do. I think there's a lot of community connection in my town and the surrounding towns and while it's possible it's expressed in our modern NW introvert way, on facebook, it is nevertheless real and strong there. There are active local facebook groups I belong to for all the surrounding small towns. That's where community events, news, gossip, garage sales, lost pets, recommendations for services, complaints about so and so-teenager driving too fast, good news and bad are all shared, just like if it was on the front porch. There's general town groups, local farming and gardening groups, horse and goat and chicken groups, crime watch groups. In some of these places, it's our ONLY recorded news... there's not good local papers any more. I think there's always a desire for connection, we just do it in different ways.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 06-01-2024 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-01-2024, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, indeed, I'm very good at picking up the non-verbal, you can feel it in the air!

I have very good survival skills, so after many years, I have adapted.

Now, I'm the same. It's kinda like the Stepford Wife Syndrome.

But, hey, it's very scenic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington