Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2022, 02:25 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
What's your point here? How would your 92 year old mother "set me straight" about my own experiences in life and my current observations from living in Bellingham for nearly a decade?

Much of this comes down to preferences. You've posted that you prefer rural living to urban living, live a frugal lifestyle, don't venture out into town, don't go out to eat or drink, etc. And you've also said that you've turned more conservative as you've gotten older. So, OF COURSE this city- or really just about ANY comparable city- isn't going to likely appeal to you at this point in your life. And that's fine. But for many people, ourselves included, this is a great place, and a community that we love and have been looking for. This city has a lot of pride, but you'd never know it from City-Data, where a handful of curmudgeons troll the city they claim to love. So I have a couple honest questions that I'd like you to answer: Am I not allowed to enjoy living here and be proud of my city? Why does my perspective not count as much as yours?

I respect how locals feel about growth, and I've acknowledged it numerous times. I've witnessed the same thing that you've experienced in FL, NC, and CO- I know that it can be difficult to see a place change and expand over time. I get that you preferred it when it was much smaller. But I'm trying to figure out how big of a prize people like you and rkcarguy "deserve" for simply being born in the area. You don't even live in the city of Bellingham right now. Again, why is your opinion any more valuable than mine about what it's like to live here in 2022?.

I think this also begs the question about who our audience is on City-Data, and what we're hoping to achieve in our posts. I think that some people visiting this site would actually like to know more about this city, and I think the curmudgeons massively overrepresent themselves and present an extremely skewed image of what Bellingham is all about and what it's like to live here. So I try to provide a little balance. You mostly provide overly rosy nostalgic memories, examples of recent crimes you've read about on social media sites, and hostility towards newcomers. It just comes across as entitlement, and there's definitely some irony in the fact that many of the people you apparently detest actually love this city, while you do nothing but speak negatively about it. Sheesh.
Interestingly, those that explore other local social media outlets will find many many many residents voicing their disdain about what's happened to Bellingham, stating they are glad they left or can't wait to leave. Also, interestingly enough, there is one common person always cheerleading the area and ignoring the major issues we all face on all these various sites. I don't deserve anything, people looking to move here deserve not to be mislead and lied to about what a hole this area has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 01:36 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Interestingly, those that explore other local social media outlets will find many many many residents voicing their disdain about what's happened to Bellingham, stating they are glad they left or can't wait to leave. Also, interestingly enough, there is one common person always cheerleading the area and ignoring the major issues we all face on all these various sites. I don't deserve anything, people looking to move here deserve not to be mislead and lied to about what a hole this area has become.
LOL, did you just discover NextDoor and Facebook? Of course people get online and complain about things like crime here, just as they do everywhere else. And also just like everywhere else, some people hate it here, and some people love it here. You're in former category, and we get that. But that's not everyone's opinion, obviously.

There's obviously a lot more to Bellingham than homeless people and crime, and for a lot of people it's a great place to live, work, raise kids, or retire, and I don't think I'm a cheerleader for pointing that out. People have argued this point you since you started and continued your "Bellingham, The Ugly Truth" thread 15 years ago trashing the city and anyone who'd want to move here.

You don't provide any context or any comparative analysis, and definitely not a balanced picture-just nonstop bashing to help people out and make sure they don't make the mistake of liking Bellingham. And for whatever reason, you strangely can't comprehend that people can still love living here AND share the same concerns as you or anyone else about issues that the entire nation faces. It's as simple as that. It's not either/or.

Hopefully people on City-Data take your neverending negative posts with a grain of salt and investigate further if they're interested in Bellingham. I know I did, and we're grateful we did because we love it here.

Last edited by bartonizer; 10-19-2022 at 02:33 AM..

Old 10-19-2022, 12:10 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
LOL, did you just discover NextDoor and Facebook? Of course people get online and complain about things like crime here, just as they do everywhere else. And also just like everywhere else, some people hate it here, and some people love it here. You're in former category, and we get that. But that's not everyone's opinion, obviously.

There's obviously a lot more to Bellingham than homeless people and crime, and for a lot of people it's a great place to live, work, raise kids, or retire, and I don't think I'm a cheerleader for pointing that out. People have argued this point you since you started and continued your "Bellingham, The Ugly Truth" thread 15 years ago trashing the city and anyone who'd want to move here.

You don't provide any context or any comparative analysis, and definitely not a balanced picture-just nonstop bashing to help people out and make sure they don't make the mistake of liking Bellingham. And for whatever reason, you strangely can't comprehend that people can still love living here AND share the same concerns as you or anyone else about issues that the entire nation faces. It's as simple as that. It's not either/or.

Hopefully people on City-Data take your neverending negative posts with a grain of salt and investigate further if they're interested in Bellingham. I know I did, and we're grateful we did because we love it here.
Yes, your balance is greatly appreciated by those who understand the modern day problems that seem to be impacting a great deal of the American landscape. Most cities have their warts. And most small cities have their squads of native sons proclaiming special rights to the place, but, Bellingham is just one in ten thousand or more cities that are growing beyond their historic parameters, socially and, economically. Partisan politics plays into so much of a person's views these days, and that fact allows us a far different take on certain posters frame of mind, blaming one's political enemies is essentially the real complaint hiding behind the ostensible "cause" postured by partisan posters. A posters history is there for all to read, it fills out the loose ends when trying to understand the posters perspective.

Posing as the town criers, with dire warnings of certain mayhem, murder, governmental neglect, and ultimately-- charges of conspiracy by media to hide Bellingham's truth, leads one to pause and reflect on all that fear and loathing by--Yes, those who aren't going anywhere too soon. Staying for the pain, for the rage and ranting that sustains them.. Meanwhile, more are coming to Bellingham, and the problems will be taken on by them, and hopefully find their way once again as a people who ACT, who Participate, become involved, offer solutions, and realize that problems are our collective challenge, they make up the community to do list, and, as they say down at the Possum Lodge, we're all in this together..

Old 10-19-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Yes, your balance is greatly appreciated by those who understand the modern day problems that seem to be impacting a great deal of the American landscape. Most cities have their warts. And most small cities have their squads of native sons proclaiming special rights to the place, but, Bellingham is just one in ten thousand or more cities that are growing beyond their historic parameters, socially and, economically. Partisan politics plays into so much of a person's views these days, and that fact allows us a far different take on certain posters frame of mind, blaming one's political enemies is essentially the real complaint hiding behind the ostensible "cause" postured by partisan posters. A posters history is there for all to read, it fills out the loose ends when trying to understand the posters perspective.

Posing as the town criers, with dire warnings of certain mayhem, murder, governmental neglect, and ultimately-- charges of conspiracy by media to hide Bellingham's truth, leads one to pause and reflect on all that fear and loathing by--Yes, those who aren't going anywhere too soon. Staying for the pain, for the rage and ranting that sustains them.. Meanwhile, more are coming to Bellingham, and the problems will be taken on by them, and hopefully find their way once again as a people who ACT, who Participate, become involved, offer solutions, and realize that problems are our collective challenge, they make up the community to do list, and, as they say down at the Possum Lodge, we're all in this together..
Many of the same people that complain and tend to agree with many of my opinions, attend meetings and attempt to help "save" town. It almost seems though, that our leaders either ignore us or do the opposite of what needs to be done because they have to virtue signal to their party. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. Millions are now being spent on expanding the Mission and converting another county office to the "weigh station" (more free facilities for the homeless), which means more will come and physically/financially victimize our citizens and further trash our town, hardly deterred by our states gutless justice system. What is really sad, is much of my family (who are all over the board politically btw) know I post here. They think Bellingham is a GONER and criticize me for wasting my time. Personally I have empathy towards those who have become victims of someone who should have been locked up several felonies ago instead of being out on the street next week. I have empathy for those that moved here and end up hating the place. I have rage for this continuing injustice. I guess many don't, until it ends up affecting them directly. I keep posting because there is hope, but not many with the power to help are listening or even adknowledging there is a problem...even when the city hall is "no standing room" full with citizens wanting change.

Old 10-20-2022, 10:51 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Many of the same people that complain and tend to agree with many of my opinions, attend meetings and attempt to help "save" town. It almost seems though, that our leaders either ignore us or do the opposite of what needs to be done because they have to virtue signal to their party. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. Millions are now being spent on expanding the Mission and converting another county office to the "weigh station" (more free facilities for the homeless), which means more will come and physically/financially victimize our citizens and further trash our town, hardly deterred by our states gutless justice system. What is really sad, is much of my family (who are all over the board politically btw) know I post here. They think Bellingham is a GONER and criticize me for wasting my time. Personally I have empathy towards those who have become victims of someone who should have been locked up several felonies ago instead of being out on the street next week. I have empathy for those that moved here and end up hating the place. I have rage for this continuing injustice. I guess many don't, until it ends up affecting them directly. I keep posting because there is hope, but not many with the power to help are listening or even adknowledging there is a problem...even when the city hall is "no standing room" full with citizens wanting change.
Didn't you say you were moving years ago? I remember that. Spending every post complaining definitely seems like an unhealthy way to spend one's time.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Didn't you say you were moving years ago? I remember that. Spending every post complaining definitely seems like an unhealthy way to spend one's time.
Yes we are, would have by now had it not been for so many delays and shortages due to Covid. My entire extended family is all ready to pull the plug on Bellingham except one, which actually surprised me. They want to leave the state though...

Old 10-23-2022, 10:15 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Quote:
Yes we are, would have by now had it not been for so many delays and shortages due to Covid. My entire extended family is all ready to pull the plug on Bellingham except one, which actually surprised me. They want to leave the state though...

I've read your posts for years, and they seem to have more than a bit of melancholy about them, something about that downside view casts a pall of profound despair over the entirety of your posting history, angry, disgusted, and all too often, a deep seething aimed at your political enemies.

I can only hope that you eventually find your slice of heaven out there, a place devoid of human conflict, absent the most poverty stricken among us, no addicts, no crime, a beautiful town filled to the boundaries with the best of us, the dignified gentry, something along the lines of Lake Wobegon. You know, "where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average." lol, but seriously, I really commend you for finally finding your own private solution to all that consternation. I wish you the best of luck in your move.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:00 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
In all fairness, the issues related to growth (property crime, lack of health care options, expensive housing, feeling unsafe around erratic homeless people) become more of a problem for older people who may need health care, have a limited income and maybe not as great eyesight etc. It sounds like rkcarguy is helping care for elder relatives of advancing age who might be in these situations. I've seen it with my own aging relatives who struggle in places without enough services. They do fine until health issues crop up. The ones who do well are close to good health care and services.

Perceptions of a place vary greatly on who you are and what your needs are. Different things come to the forefront as bigger issues at different life stages, different income levels etc.

That doesn't mean either side is completely wrong. Bellingham can be a great place for some, and a stressful one for others. People looking to move can weigh the issues according to what they prefer in a place.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:31 AM

302 posts, read 177,129 times
Bellingham has a lot of drug dealers lately. I see them everywhere like on a bicycle pretending to blend in, at the store standing near the entrance, in the staircase of apartments. It really reminds me of my old days in Newark. It has grown into more of a big city with all the perks and costs.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
You've posted the same sentiments and vitriol for 1.5 decades. Any logical person would come to the conclusion that you've been doing that because you love Bellingham. Right? The thing is, I do, too. And yet, your positive thoughts only extends to those who have moved here and hate it. I think that's rather odd, and definitely pretty telling.

From your past posts, it's clear that you feel no kinship towards anyone who's moved here from somewhere else- especially if they still like the place. It's far more apparent that you really don't like who has been moving here, and that's unfortunate.

You mention that you've been hopeful that your posts are having an impact, but I'm curious how you think that's possible. Do you think that telling everyone how terrible the area is, and badmouthing "implants" is somehow improving the area and making crime rates go down? Do you really think that only local, conservative minded people are the ones attending city council meetings?

I'll say it again, the ridiculousness of that type of local logic is that many of the people who love this place the most are people who've been seeking out such a place and landed here intentionally. Many of us actually worked hard to get here, and don't take this place for granted one bit. We want improvement, and to work on social issues to continue to make this a better place to live. At the same time, many of us continue to have pride in our city. We can walk AND chew bubble gum at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington