Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 03:24 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,743,994 times

Advertisements

Please feel free to add/update this thread with your experiences in getting groceries in your locale.

Bellingham-Saturday 3/14.
My mother visited Costco, who was admitting smaller groups of people at a time into the store to purchase goods. Workers were wearing gloves and masks and there was limits on items people are trying to hoard. WINCO was a free for all, and a lot of empty shelves. My grandmother put in an online order for grocery pickup at Fred Meyer and that service is backed up 4+ days. Grandma was also on hold almost 2 hours trying to get refills of her medications. If you can get your doctor to ok prescriptions of an extended amount (say 60-90 days worth) of whatever you take regularly I'd highly recommend it.

We have 4 "vulnerable" people in the two family households I frequent, so we're trying to stay out of the stores and public as much as we can. Hoping to see store stock rebound once everyone is stocked up but time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 07:57 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,913,013 times
The problem is when some panic needlessly, those who are not panicked are sucked right in because the original panickers were so uninformed. They have created a domino effect and it is silly and dangerous. Unfortunately humans have been doing this for centuries. While it makes no sense there is really no way to stop this insane behavior.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The problem is when some panic needlessly, those who are not panicked are sucked right in because the original panickers were so uninformed. They have created a domino effect and it is silly and dangerous. Unfortunately humans have been doing this for centuries. While it makes no sense there is really no way to stop this insane behavior.
This is true, most of the stocking up everyone did was due to speculation and fear that is self-perpetuating. When I understood how this virus is basically undetectable yet contagious for up to a week, I knew this one was going to go the distance and we stocked up ~3 weeks ago.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:48 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,164,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
This is true, most of the stocking up everyone did was due to speculation and fear that is self-perpetuating. When I understood how this virus is basically undetectable yet contagious for up to a week, I knew this one was going to go the distance and we stocked up ~3 weeks ago.
Well, here in Kirkland (US epicenter of death, we might say) I was a little ahead of the 8-ball. I really paid attention closely on or about Feb 27 when officials from CDC, backed by WHO, gave a detailed conference on the seriousness of Covid-19. At that time, they were cautious to call it pandemic. I will not armchair quarterback their decision, that is for later (years from now).

I then looked at Italy data, which was coming out dribs and drabs, and scratched my chin: yep, Western country, not at all prepared, now springing into action which is clumsy. Could be us, but you'd expect better from the United States. Went to kitchen, inventoried stocks (I'm a little ahead of the 8-ball due to personality, usually), and went to the store. You're saying you wised up on or about Feb 22, basically a week prior, based on what was speculation and assumption, though the model was right there. That's clever extrapolation of math (geometric progression, assumption that it could NOT be contained in places like Kirkland).

Fast forward to yesterday, Sunday, at 5am when Safeway opened locally: 3/15. Got in, polished off my stocks, didn't over-buy because that's mindless fear mongering. I smelled what was coming late that day/early this AM from Gov Inslee, it was pretty much obvious to anyone not a drug dealer, vagrant, mentally challenged, child, or old person. And come it did, to King County. BOOM. I think they're going to go one layer further, but we'll see (restrict movement). That is the obvious near-final step they could, and frankly should, take. Look at San Francisco, as of this afternoon. I'd have thought those hippies would be last on the uptake as it will severely inconvenience derelicts, addicts, and vagrants who prey on humans day-in/day-out.

I see Amazon Prime works fine. Great for me and many others.

For those who aren't paranoid, half-crazy preppers and function in normal society day-to-day as executive managers, there is a fine line when to listen to instincts and when to ignore the spidey sense as irrational fear. Listening to CDC that day was the day they used the word "Concerned," as in: "We are...". That's government-speak for "we've got a real social problem brewing, people" so I'm glad they let the cat out of the bad, albeit subtly, right then and there. The rest of the big brains have known what's coming at least four weeks; models in situations like this (as opposed to, say, climate change on a 50 year horizon which seem to be horse****) are not heinously complex though do have some variables.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:15 AM

11,443 posts, read 627,696 times
I went to Trader Joes yesterday and they are only letting 50 people in at a time now ..... I stood in a line outside for about 20 mins or so....... And the shleves inside were getting bare! (Same as whole foods) - Frankly I havent ever seen anything like this!

Old 03-17-2020, 08:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,421,151 times
My wife went to Fred Meyer Issaquah, don't bother going there. In addition to the hoarding and lack of help, they are in the middle of a remodel. Many shelves were empty, and not just the usual toilet paper and staples, even flour. She ended up having to also stop at Safeway on the way back to get many of the things on our list. There it seemed much more normal, but no toilet paper and no dry beans.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
You're saying you wised up on or about Feb 22, basically a week prior, based on what was speculation and assumption, though the model was right there. That's clever extrapolation of math.
I think when I saw it spreading into Italy and India, and saw the "science" behind it's ability to spread undetected, was when I figured it was time to stock up. It appeared to be spreading nearly by the mathematical square.

I hope you are able to stay indoors and stay safe. Up here in Whatcom county we supposedly have only 3 people infected, but we've only tested 114 people so it could be all over and we don't know. Furthermore many of my family members have bad pollen allergies as do I, so we are trying not to freak out over having sore throats, runny nose, and cough as tree pollen is pushing the high end of "moderate".

Old 03-17-2020, 10:36 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,495,661 times
I went to Fred Meyers early morning on Saturday to pick up a prescription. The store was way more crowded than I have ever seen it. We are almost out of sanitizer so I planned to buy some. The were out and stocker said as soon as she restocks, it is gone. I just bought fresh fruits and veggies plus a few items that were the buy 5 mega deals.

If people would quit hoarding, we all could have adequate supplies. At least we have soap so we wash our hands with that. Sanitizer is just more convenient.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:02 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
I dont understand this theory; could you explain a bit? This is not at all what I'm seeing in my town. The people who haven't been panicked still are not. While initially puzzled or bemused, they are now shaking their heads. They're not bulk purchasing anything, not hoarding, and are shopping normally, buying normal quantities of things. Paper goods and cleaning/sanitizing supplies have been out of stock for weeks everywhere at this point, so no one's trying. A couple of non-panickers I know have put their names on a waiting list at a liquor store for some kind of strong alcohol to make their own sanitizing supplies with, but other than that, they're shopping and living normally.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:16 AM

8,075 posts, read 8,389,454 times
Quote:
Rationing. Limit purchasing to one, two, or three packages, based on size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington